REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dogwood

Towing question

dogrunner

Yep it keeps you in the right rpm zone and that is what it's made for also good in heavy wind. Even my 2016 with the 5.0 which has more power will downshift on bigger hills. My Eco would rarely downshift unless you really stepped into it. 

bigjohnsd

2008 Ford Towing Guide

TOWING ON HILLS • Downshift the transmission to assist braking on steep downgrades and to increase power (reduce lugging) when climbing hills. With TorqShift® transmission, select Tow/Haul mode to automatically eliminate unwanted gear search when going uphill and help control vehicle speed when going downhill.

dogrunner
3 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

2008 Ford Towing Guide

TOWING ON HILLS • Downshift the transmission to assist braking on steep downgrades and to increase power (reduce lugging) when climbing hills. With TorqShift® transmission, select Tow/Haul mode to automatically eliminate unwanted gear search when going uphill and help control vehicle speed when going downhill.

Hmm sounds like something I would do. ;)

Dogwood
On 5/20/2017 at 5:46 AM, Natty Bumpo said:

^^^^THIS^^^^^^

I have a 2011 F150 with the HD towing pkg and 5.0L engine. Pull a 20' dual axle equipment trailer loaded with Kubota plus various equipment; total around 8K pounds. Have to pull several big hills going down to the farm. I have learned to just leave it in tow/haul mode. The truck just runs smoother, both going up and down those hills. LUV the integral brake controller and stability control on that truck for towing that load.

Hmm.  My 2008 owner's manual says the vehicle has a 6 speed tranny.

Dogwood
On 5/19/2017 at 6:55 AM, dogrunner said:

You have the 4 speed version, in 09 they went with  a 6 speed and bumped the motor up in hp/tq. I had an 08 it was ok but not that lively my dad had an 09 much better in the power band. I think you and the trans will be much happier in tow/haul and in the power band, you will not loose much mileage and not always be shifting down which is annoying. 

Hmm.  My 2008 owner's manual says it has a 6 speed tranny.  I'll have a closer listen next time I drive it.

dogrunner
On 5/23/2017 at 6:54 AM, Dogwood said:

Hmm.  My 2008 owner's manual says it has a 6 speed tranny.  I'll have a closer listen next time I drive it.

You are correct.