"Bomber" Sage Grouse Tail

Does anyone have photo of a sage grouse tail? 

A new Member is wondering if they would work displayed in the grouse tail plaque I sell on board.

grousedisplays.jpg

You mean boomer? I've got photos of live birds strutting but not sure how to post them here since photobucket has changed.

25 minutes ago, Gyrfolco said:

You mean boomer? I've got photos of live birds strutting but not sure how to post them here since photobucket has changed.

Not sure, never hunted them, pretty much unfamiliar. I thought they were referred to as Bombers, although Boomer makes more sense given their mating behavior, etc.

If you become a Contributing Member and you can upload photos directly to posts...B| its slick. (or email me a photo and I'll post it. brad@uplandjournal.com)

I have read that some people referred to them as Prairie Bombers. I hunted them for days several years ago and never saw a bird. I wish I had. I just wanted to shoot two. One for the wall and to try one and see how they taste. Don;t you know someone that used to do research on them????

5 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Not sure, never hunted them, pretty much unfamiliar. I thought they were referred to as Bombers, although Boomer makes more sense given their mating behavior, etc.

If you become a Contributing Member and you can upload photos directly to posts...B| its slick.

4 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

I have read that some people referred to them as Prairie Bombers. I hunted them for days several years ago and never saw a bird. I wish I had. I just wanted to shoot two. One for the wall and to try one and see how they taste. Don;t you know someone that used to do research on them????

Yes, UJ Member Rhode Island did before moving to Maine and working on ruffed grouse research. Good call, I'll text him, he's been away from Board dealing with a new baby, work etc.

Treerooster

Never mounted a save grouse tail but I think it would work with the plaques. The hub might be a bit big though and cover up a part of the tail. Not sure how the tail mounts on the plaque but the thickness of a sage grouse tail can't be much different than a ruff.

Sage grouse are called bombers and they also boom for thier mating.

28 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Yes, UJ Member Rhode Island did before moving to Maine and working on ruffed grouse research. Good call, I'll text him, he's been away from Board dealing with a new baby, work etc.

Some of the deep recesses of my mind are still accessible, for better or worse, despite my age. Good luck.

We would call the adult males boomers, but even the young of the year look like bombers getting up out of the sage 10 yards in front of you!  I don't see why the tails wouldn't work in the displays.

Wes Stueber

Brad,

I have one mounted, a big Bomber from MT, from years ago.  Can I send you a pic of it, and you can take it from there?  Be glad to..!

Wes

1 hour ago, Wes Stueber said:

Brad,

I have one mounted, a big Bomber from MT, from years ago.  Can I send you a pic of it, and you can take it from there?  Be glad to..!

Wes

Wes,

Sure, but why not just upload it to this post? You have that function in your Member Group. Just drag and drop photo file in field below or click where it says "Click to choose files" and from there you can browse to find the photo, or if on a smart device choose from photo library etc. 

Speaking of sage grouse...has anyone seen the hybrid sage/sharptail grouse they have mounted in the Montana Game office in Glasco? I did a double take when I first saw it. 

That's a good photo from the back, showing the black and white detail. The front view will have more subtle greys intermixed with flecks of white and black. Not typical, but if you mounted it showing the back it would be more appealing then a front view. Their plumage is very subdued for camouflage. But then again, they stick out like a sore thumb when they stand up and walk away from your dog before they flush, or are just watching you coming towards them;-O

IMG_0375.JPG

Member Wes Steuber sent me this photo of his Sage Grouse mount. Really shows the tail.

Sage Grouse are a bucket list bird for me.  Hope to have the chance to hunt them one day.