Weekend Brew...what r u enjoying tonight?

On 8/1/2017 at 4:27 PM, Dave Medema said:

Does anyone brew there own?

I do. Have for years. Lately it's mostly light German lagers like Helles, Helles Bock, and Pilsners. My garage and basement have three refrigerators dedicated just to brewing. Sometimes I'll brew an Alt, Oktoberfest, or a porter. 

The local home brew shop closed up last year. I bought/was given a lot of supplies at the end.  I'm probably sitting on 500# of grain right now. Beer is near free at my house for the foreseeable future. Years ago the owner offered me a key the store, gave me the security code, and taught me how to run the register. Once in awhile I'd watch the place for him when he was ill or out of town. It was nice having a key on Sunday when the store was closed and I needed something critical in the middle of a brew. I sure miss the place and the friends that spent time there too. 

200 gallons/year is the legal limit for an individual to brew for personal consumption.  I don't think I've ever hit it, but some years I did wonder and had to check the records and see how close I was. 

Getting on topic, I'm sitting at a picnic table right now with my iPad drinking one of my last Summit Mai Bocks (a favorite) and washing it down with a New Glarus Moon Man (a guy has to keep his palate calibrated!)  while the exhausted dog sleeps on the ground next to me.  We spent the day around Ely, MN walking trails looking for new grouse hunting spots.  My 19 year old son and I are spending the week RV camping in a state park. I'm writing this to the hiss and flicker of a Coleman lantern. Not a bad way to spend some time.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dogrunner

• Jazz4Brazo

• Clueless1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do. Have for years. Lately it's mostly light German lagers like Helles, Helles Bock, and Pilsners. My garage and basement have three refrigerators dedicated just to brewing. Sometimes I'll brew an A

Guinness is to beer what grouse is to birds...the one and only King

An ice cold Corona. 

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, HAMMER DOG said:

Ripper is good, have you tried Ghost Hammer

No - haven't even heard of it actually. The Ripper has been my summer favorite, except I can drink 4-5 in an evening and that adds up quickly. I'll look for Ghost Hammer

I was drinking Saddle Bronc Brown last weekend on a trip to Wyoming.  Sure wish I could get it in Colorado.  Have to buy some extra next time I'm in the cowboy state.

43 minutes ago, GraceinVA said:

No - haven't even heard of it actually. The Ripper has been my summer favorite, except I can drink 4-5 in an evening and that adds up quickly. I'll look for Ghost Hammer

I would think they would have it out in your neck of the woods, it's a very solid new addition to Stones lineup, different hop profile and a small bit higher IBU but definitely a new one worth checking out,.

Long Trail Harvest Ale tonight. Getting to be time to drink the Autumn Brews. My wife loves the Shipyard Pumpkin with the cinnamon sugar on the rim of the frosted glass.

We had a birthday party for a 10 year last Saturday. There were 14 ten year old girls here. I needed a few. This did the job:

5C62BCC0-3CAE-414C-AAE3-03D5B2057A1E.thumb.jpg.9237d642b31ac8df98ffea7a05060601.jpg

I had had this at the Hoffbrau Haus almost 22 years ago.

Amber bock chased with a blue moon the selections weren't very good. The King watched me have dinner. 

IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

My kid gave me some 3Floyds Zombie Dust.   Yuk,yuk yuk...........makes Miller Lite taste good!

But I should have known better seeing as how he gave me a can of Steel Reserve when he was in collage and he thought that was good too.

Lately it's been Vodka Tonic for less calories.

Virgil 

7 hours ago, Virgil Kane said:

My kid gave me some 3Floyds Zombie Dust.   Yuk,yuk yuk...........makes Miller Lite taste good!

But I should have known better seeing as how he gave me a can of Steel Reserve when he was in collage and he thought that was good too.

Lately it's been Vodka Tonic for less calories.

Virgil 

Philistine! Please send all Zombie Dust my way. 3 floyds is generally fantastic.  You can only buy 2 cases at the brewery per person. I have been known to take my Mom and aunts to lunch, so I can get more. 

When they announce Zombie Dust is in stock, it sells out before the end of the day.