REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
cockerfan

Truck Shopping

Just now, cockerfan said:

I'm still interested in the stock 3.5 ecoboost, but I'm not much for making mods...it'll just be a tool that i want to be reliable for the next 200k miles and 10-15 years. 

It's a good option. The engines are strong and work well.

He's got a diesel shop. His daily driver is about 1200hp without the nitrous. The truck I have now is the only stock vehicle I've ever owned, does this mean I'm becoming an adult?

cockerfan
2 minutes ago, NECarson said:

It's a good option. The engines are strong and work well.

He's got a diesel shop. His daily driver is about 1200hp without the nitrous. The truck I have now is the only stock vehicle I've ever owned, does this mean I'm becoming an adult?

If I had a buddy that owned a shop, I'm sure my perspective would change! As it it, I'm either doing repairs myself or paying someone else full price. 

sdspringer49

If you are buying new, you have the option of being specific about the rear end gear ratio. My son in law and his dad both have f150s with the eco boost but my son in law ordered a specific gear ratio to improve mileage. Gets at least 10% better than his dad but has plenty of pulling power although he doesn't pull a lot of real heavy loads. Others can help yippy figure out good ratios....I just wanted to throw it out there. 

5 minutes ago, sdspringer49 said:

If you are buying new, you have the option of being specific about the rear end gear ratio. My son in law and his dad both have f150s with the eco boost but my son in law ordered a specific gear ratio to improve mileage. Gets at least 10% better than his dad but has plenty of pulling power although he doesn't pull a lot of real heavy loads. Others can help yippy figure out good ratios....I just wanted to throw it out there. 

Numerically lower will net better highway mileage.

7 minutes ago, cockerfan said:

If I had a buddy that owned a shop, I'm sure my perspective would change! As it it, I'm either doing repairs myself or paying someone else full price. 

My wife regularly reminds me that I have a very skewed perspective! I do my own work, but I have a lot more resources than most people, and a shop to work in.

Remo

I have a 20016 F-150 eco-boost. The box sucks big time. Mileage is ok for the 355 rear end, 16-17 with small camper, 20 pickup only on the road. Nice ride, quiet cab, plenty of power for me. Did I mention the box really SUCKS? And the drivers manual sucks too. And the front side windows suck. It's a truck made for blacktop and the mall parking lot.

terrym
10 hours ago, Remo said:

It's a truck made for blacktop and the mall parking lot.

Which is likely at least 75% of the target market. Today's new f/s trucks with the new trannies all give decent mileage and near 400 hp. Unless you actually tow heavy loads a 1500 class truck is more than most need. I would say buy the one you like best or get the better deal on, have it properly rust proofed if you live in the snow belt and you will get  10-15 years easy out of any of them. 

topdog1961
12 hours ago, terrym said:

Ram 1500-Ecodiesel. 

Que the haters............B|

Never owned one so I can't comment on reliability. But I do have eyes. They look goooood. But around here in the Midwest automotive rust belt, Chryslers are the first truck to rust, especially over the wheel wells. That includes some relatively new looking models, still all shiny but with bubbles of rust starting.  My hunting buddy got burned on his. If you live where there is no road salt, no problem. 

Brad Eden

Apple, I mean Toyota...never mind, just kidding.

dogrunner

I have had 3 Ecoboost motors and 3- 5.0 motors.  Ecoboost have plenty of power, rarely downshift unless you step into it or going up big hills.  5.0 downshift a lot more and sound good doing it. :)  Eco motors run hot so if you are buying the vehicle run good synthetic oil in it or change the oil more often. The 18 Ford trucks except the base motor have the new 10 speed trans and should make better mileage. My latest version has the 5.0 because I did not want so spend the extra $500 on a Eco. Eco varies widely on mileage because of the driver, if you drive it like a V8 or like to drive fast people complain about the mileage. After having  3 of each if driving fast is your style the Eco will suck more fuel is what I have experienced. 

Dogwood
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Apple, I mean Toyota...never mind, just kidding.

Getting a little smarmy there; must be overworked.

dogrunner
12 hours ago, Remo said:

I have a 20016 F-150 eco-boost. The box sucks big time. Mileage is ok for the 355 rear end, 16-17 with small camper, 20 pickup only on the road. Nice ride, quiet cab, plenty of power for me. Did I mention the box really SUCKS? And the drivers manual sucks too. And the front side windows suck. It's a truck made for blacktop and the mall parking lot.

This one has seen plenty of Off road,    rarely see's the mall. 

IMG_7427.JPG

Dogwood
12 hours ago, Remo said:

Care to be more specific on what sucks about the box , manual, and windows?

DonT

I think they are all decent trucks, drive them all and buy the 1 you like.  I have always been a GM truck guy, until now, in the beginning of the year I purchased my first Ford truck. How can you not look at them, all the reviews rate them #1.  

Gm, I don't feel comfortable with a cylinder deactivation engine ( they have had problems) and they still will not rust proof their frames. I don't know if the vibration problem is fixed yet. The 5.3 1500 I drove did not impress me, felt neutered to me, seamed to always want to be in too high a gear.  I could have gotten an extra $3000 off using my GM card points.  

Ford, I think all their engines are good, it's nice to have options, choose what ever you like.  Way a head of the others in innovation.  Huge crew cab/back seat area with a completely flat floor. Aluminum truck feels lighter and more nimble.  Transmission is spot on.  Steering is precise, a little light but you get used to it.  I finally have a truck with brakes!  But the engines my be the best thing about these trucks.   

In the beginning of the year I purchased a 2016 F 150 left over for $10k under sticker and so far could not be happier.  But I haven't been to the mall yet.  I drove both the 2017 ecoBoost 3.5 10 speed and the 5.0 V8.  I got a deal on the 5.0 and I thought it would be easier to keep long term, like the 15 years I would like to get out of this truck.  When i step on the gas pedal I feel like I'm 18 again.

2016 F 150 XLT Super crew 6.5" bed 5.0L 355 gear 302 package Fx4  36 gal tank

Good luck 

NCgrouse

After doing a lot of research trying to find a good vehicle that would incorporate baby car seats, our comfort, dogs and guns, having good bed space for trapping gear/animals/live turtles, and still getting decent mileage, we came to what we felt was the best combo-truck deal for us.

But, it was a Honda Ridgeline, so I have absolutely nothing to add. Except that it is a wicked sweet rig thus far. Can't wait to dirty it up this winter.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.