REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
cockerfan

Truck Shopping

Don Steese

I got rid of my 06 Ridgeline a couple months ago, and I miss it terribly!  Most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Enough power, mileage was ok, got around in snow and mud well. Only thing I didn't like was the lack of ground clearance. Couldn't tow it behind the motorhome though.

cockerfan

Lots of good information here - thank you guys! Consensus seems to point toward the Ford. I drove one the other night that had the 3.5 in it. I liked it, but honestly, going from a 10 year old vehicle to a new vehicle, they're all going to feel nice.

The Ridgeline has been a very good vehicle. I've done way more pulling and hauling with it than it was ever intended to do, and it has handled it all (although sometimes SLOWLY!). It's time to upgrade though, and in the next vehicle I'd like more cab room, more power, and a bigger box. If Honda built a truck like that, I'd be all about it.

topdog1961

Now if we could just discuss the best pheasant load for the shotgun to hang in the rear window of your new truck, and the best boots to wear while driving it, we'ed really have a thread going!

cockerfan
4 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

Now if we could just discuss the best pheasant load for the shotgun to hang in the rear window of your new truck, and the best boots to wear while driving it, we'ed really have a thread going!

I already have that info. Alico boots and 1 1/4 oz of shot at 1300 FPS :)

Remo
2 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Care to be more specific on what sucks about the box , manual, and windows?

Every model of F-150 is in the same manual. All options are listed under the same heading and it is up to you to dig your's out. You pay tens of thousands of dollars for the truck and in this tech age the company can't even give you a 5 cent disc specific to your purchase.

The box is the worst dust trap I have ever seen of any make or model. From the factory you could drop quarters through the joint between the floor and side walls. Ford engineers can design a great engine and they can't design a gasket for the endgate or seal a box? A six footer can't reach over the endgate because it is so high. And of course there are the automatic door locks that do the endgate too.

The front windows have the wonderful safety feature of returning to open if they sense an obstruction. So when you are driving down a gravel road, meet someone in a cloud of dust, try to roll up the window, the &@#)$! window goes back down because you are bouncing on the gravel road, you get the dust inside, and then the second time you try it, after you are already dusted, the &#)@!&* window goes up.

I'd like that $)@!*%*@# engineer for Christmas.

Big Al

I have 2016 F150 with the 3.5 eco boost.  Plenty of power.  Pulling a trailer with a couple of ATVs on it is nothing.  The truck is quiet, stable and comfortable.  Not having ever owned another brand of pickup I can't say weather the Ford is better or not but I would be hard pressed to think so.

Brad Eden

im not gonna go off the usual truck reservation except to say, sometimes certain brands of truck seem to fit a person, ergonomically speaking. I'm not necessarally a truck snob, and have driven a variety of brands trying to decide what to buy. (Back when I bought new which is no more) And I found some too boxy and cavernous for me, and Im an average sized guy. Seems like some are built for football linemen. The trucks I like just feel right when in the cockpit, and luckily have been very reliable.

Auto-5

My brother just bought a new chevy v6 not loaded but has the necessities air ,auto , etc. it even has limited slip. booked for $29k  he ended up paying $21k.its a nice  truck just not all decked out.  The nice thing is he said he got 27mpg on his first interstate trip and gets about 21 around town.see s right now there are some nice discounts on trucks.

dogrunner
3 hours ago, Remo said:

Every model of F-150 is in the same manual. All options are listed under the same heading and it is up to you to dig your's out. You pay tens of thousands of dollars for the truck and in this tech age the company can't even give you a 5 cent disc specific to your purchase.

The box is the worst dust trap I have ever seen of any make or model. From the factory you could drop quarters through the joint between the floor and side walls. Ford engineers can design a great engine and they can't design a gasket for the endgate or seal a box? A six footer can't reach over the endgate because it is so high. And of course there are the automatic door locks that do the endgate too.

The front windows have the wonderful safety feature of returning to open if they sense an obstruction. So when you are driving down a gravel road, meet someone in a cloud of dust, try to roll up the window, the &@#)$! window goes back down because you are bouncing on the gravel road, you get the dust inside, and then the second time you try it, after you are already dusted, the &#)@!&* window goes up.

I'd like that $)@!*%*@# engineer for Christmas.

All trucks nowadays are that tall, bigger rims and tires, everyone is trying to out do each other.  The tailgate lock is because they are hot commodities, too many were getting stolen and there not cheap. The front window thing is stupid and it seems to do it on bumps,  I just keep my finger on it till it closes. 

67diesel
23 hours ago, cockerfan said:

I'm starting to look around at a replacement for my Ridgeline. I've had it for almost 9 years, and it's been a great truck. Can't complain about much. However, I'm in need of something newer for work, and something with more power and size for home. 

I'm looking at either a Ford with the 3.5 ecoboost or the GMC with the 5.3 - either the 6 or 8 speed transmission. 

I'll use it for pulling my dog trailer and it will  have my dog box in back (about 300 lbs). Occasionally it will pull a utility trailer with a UTV on it. 

My priorites are durability, MPG, performance, longevity. 

I'm likely going to buy new. All the incentives for new vehicles make it almost a wash compared to a two year old vehicle. 

Anyone have any advice around these two trucks?

Cockerfan, consider the 5.0L for that F-150.  Where in Wisky are you?

OH Grouser

A little info from the Chevy / GMC side...

My 2014 Siverado 5.3 / 6 speed / 3.42 axle has been good to me so far. At nearly 60k, it's been back to the dealer for a few minor recalls, but trouble free beyond that. 19 - 20 mpg average, no squeaks or rattles and just a solid truck overall. I tow a 5000 lb travel trailer with no problem, the 5.3 has more power than I'll ever need. Mine is a crew cab / short bed and I was a little concerned about the bed length...that hasn't been an issue (other than being too short for fishing rods) but I've got a utility trailer to haul lumber or other longer stuff when needed.

My only real complaint is with the transmission, the shift points feel 'confused' and cluncky - it sometimes seems to hunt for the right gear when getting on the gas to pass or merge onto the highway. I've talked to the dealer and a few other guys with similar trucks, that seems to be a common complaint with no real fix. I'm not sure if the new 8 speed cleaned that up or not. 

I've never had anything but GM, and would buy another one. No matter what you settle on, give it a good test drive around town and at highway speeds. If the dealer thinks you're serious about buying the truck, they may let you take it home for a night or over a weekend - a good chance to see how it works out for the family too.

Roger

cockerfan
14 minutes ago, 67diesel said:

Cockerfan, consider the 5.0L for that F-150.  Where in Wisky are you?

I'm just a few miles west of Appleton. 

UplandHntr

Im with my buyer at Woodmans in Appleton every week. Im sure you know where that is.  Be there tomorrow morning. 

bwjohn

Alico boots and 1 1/4 oz of shot at 1300 FPS

I don't think i have seen anyone else ever mention Alico boots, but I have a pair that I love as well, also have a 2010 f150 that has served me well on and off the road.

dogrunner
On 8/2/2017 at 10:28 PM, NECarson said:

One of my best friend's girlfriend has one.

23-24 MPG driving very aggressively on a pretty hot tune (100hp over stock according to the rating)

Comfortable, solid truck as well.

I would have to see that on a dyno before and after the mods, seems like a lot for a gas motor.