Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
cockerfan

Truck Shopping

Recommended Posts

cockerfan
9 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

Im with my buyer at Woodmans in Appleton every week. Im sure you know where that is.  Be there tomorrow morning. 

Yep, indefinitely know where that is. 

 

We we should grab lunch sometime. 

9 hours ago, bwjohn said:

 

 

I don't think i have seen anyone else ever mention Alico boots, but I have a pair that I love as well, also have a 2010 f150 that has served me well on and off the road.

 

 

I started wearing Alico boots about 7 years ago. I'm on my second pair now, and will likely stay with the brand as long as they keep making them the way they are now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
max2

After my 08 super duty I swore off Fords and currently back in a GM -Silverado and like it a lot. A neighbor has 2017 - GMC's version of my truck- Really nice truck and he claims to get 28 mpg on the highway I think the brands you mention all have their flaws including GM.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topdog1961
14 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

sometimes certain brands of truck seem to fit a person, ergonomically speaking....

 

The same can be said of people IMO. I've said one factor in marrying my wife was when we held each other, she just felt "right."  That was 26 years ago yesterday, and she still feels just as right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
13 hours ago, 67diesel said:

Cockerfan, consider the 5.0L for that F-150.  Where in Wisky are you?

Yep the 2018 5.0 with the added hp and tq should be a beast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogwood

Never hear anyone "swear off" Toyota trucks. 

 

Carry on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
7 hours ago, dogrunner said:

I would have to see that on a dyno before and after the mods, seems like a lot for a gas motor. 

Forced induction does cool stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuffChaser
15 hours ago, cockerfan said:

I'm just a few miles west of Appleton. 

 

My Wife is from Kaukauna. That's all I got. I've never owned a pickup but will be looking to in the next year or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
2 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Never hear anyone "swear off" Toyota trucks. 

 

Carry on. 

 

Smarmy. Treating too many ear infections apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DonT
3 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Yep the 2018 5.0 with the added hp and tq should be a beast. 

looks like 2018 5.0 get an increase of 10 hp and 13 TQ.  My 2016 with that engine runs good and sounds like a Mustang when you get on it. Just need to keep the RPMs up on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rolawson

Trying to get everything in order for retirement. Started looking at new trucks and got sticker shock. How are you guys justifying paying that much for a truck? I done my share of research before I went to the car dealership. I have a good friend that runs a body shop / mechanic garage. He said he was not going to update his stuff to work on the new aluminum Fords. I was in his shop the other day and he had a guy bring by a 2016 Ford that was hit in the rear for an estimate. He said let me show you something. He opened the hood and we looked around the bottom edge of the hood. He said this one is doing it also. The hood looked like it was rusting. He said that Ford is having issues with the aluminum oxidizing under the paint causing it to bubble up like rust. He was telling me of a body shop doing an estimate on a 2017 F150 that had the top of the cab dented along with the bedside. The estimate to repair was over $14,000. The body shop done the same estimate on a F150 that was before the aluminum for comparison, It was in the $5,000 range. He went on and on about the beds being riveted and how bad they were designed. He told me to buy a GMC with the 5.3. He, his wife, and his 2 boys all drive GMC's of different years. We have run Dodge, Fords, and GMC's on our work fleet. Dodge, no way would I own one. The old and the new ones stay in the shop all the time. Fords have done Okay but did have a couple 5.0 engine go out before they hit 90.000 and the cab corners rotted away. We left the Fords in 2012. A Ford rep told one of my Officers that the 2009 and 2010 F150's with the 5.0 had engine issues that were corrected. The GMC's we had was back in early 2000's, so don't have much to pull from on the new ones other than Command staff driving the 2017's and love them. I guess if I had the money, I would buy a new GMC. Until then, I am going to kill my 2006 Nissan Frontier.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

09- 2010 did not have 5.0 in them. Those were 5.4 or 4.6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rolawson
22 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

09- 2010 did not have 5.0 in them. Those were 5.4 or 4.6. 

You are correct. It was the 4.6. The 5.0's have been bullet proof. Brain Fart! The 5.4's did like making bottle rockets out of the spark plugs though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
On 8/4/2017 at 2:13 PM, DonT said:

looks like 2018 5.0 get an increase of 10 hp and 13 TQ.  My 2016 with that engine runs good and sounds like a Mustang when you get on it. Just need to keep the RPMs up on it. 

Shift it to Sport mode that will keep the rpms up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DonT
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Shift it to Sport mode that will keep the rpms up.

And double tap the traction control off.  I feel like i'm 18 again.   The hot rod kids tell me they get 750 hp with a supercharger out of the 5.0, other wise stock and they hold up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
67diesel
On 8/4/2017 at 9:13 PM, rolawson said:

Trying to get everything in order for retirement. Started looking at new trucks and got sticker shock. How are you guys justifying paying that much for a truck? I done my share of research before I went to the car dealership. I have a good friend that runs a body shop / mechanic garage. He said he was not going to update his stuff to work on the new aluminum Fords. I was in his shop the other day and he had a guy bring by a 2016 Ford that was hit in the rear for an estimate. He said let me show you something. He opened the hood and we looked around the bottom edge of the hood. He said this one is doing it also. The hood looked like it was rusting. He said that Ford is having issues with the aluminum oxidizing under the paint causing it to bubble up like rust. He was telling me of a body shop doing an estimate on a 2017 F150 that had the top of the cab dented along with the bedside. The estimate to repair was over $14,000. The body shop done the same estimate on a F150 that was before the aluminum for comparison, It was in the $5,000 range. He went on and on about the beds being riveted and how bad they were designed. He told me to buy a GMC with the 5.3. 

Do you know that GM's pickup will have aluminum cab and front end shortly?  Everyone's trying to lighten up for fuel economy regs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×