How much coffee do you drink?

bobman, my schedule is close to yours along with the elixir of meds except for some naproxen thrown in too! I'm a retired Golf Course Superintendent. I "sleep in" until about 4 or 4:30 now! I drink 1 22oz. Cup of coffee just like I have always done. No more the rest of the day. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terrym

• charlo slim

• Ben Hong

• jeff88

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, there are therapists who can help you with that......

I use that method too, when I'm making coffee just for myself.   Otherwise the drip coffee maker with ground coffee and the same filter does exactly the same thing for multiple cups of coffe

Drink or mainline?

Posted Images

So I'm listening to what you guys are saying, but really, I feel like coffee is it man.  I mean really, there's just something there that we all need,  So if you really don't like coffee just come out and say it.  It really doesn't change you.  I mean really.  I like it, and sometimes it actually wakes you up. Did I say that Starbucks is the bomb?  My daughter really likes Starbucks.  But I don't.  I like just the tiniest bit of milk in mine, my wife calls it "Cowboy coffee" but to me it's just coffee.  I wrote this all without taking a breath.  Is that normal?  I don't know.  I don't think I've had a cup of coffee.   

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

So, the kids gave me of those campfire percolator coffee pots from Cabelas. My parents used to use an electric percolator but I never owned one. Anyway it was bought for morning tailgate parties at the pheasant club. Figured I should test it and get comfortable with it since the season opens in less than a month. Man does that thing make great coffee. There is a wee bit of grinds that get through so now I'm thinking I need to grind my own to get a courser grind. Anybody grind their own beans? Do's and don't do's?

11 minutes ago, terrym said:

Update:

So, the kids gave me of those campfire percolator coffee pots from Cabelas. My parents used to use an electric percolator but I never owned one. Anyway it was bought for morning tailgate parties at the pheasant club. Figured I should test it and get comfortable with it since the season opens in less than a month. Man does that thing make great coffee. There is a wee bit of grinds that get through so now I'm thinking I need to grind my own to get a courser grind. Anybody grind their own beans? Do's and don't do's?

Just take a paper towel and push the center of it over the central post into the basket with the paper up the sides of the basket - put in the coffee and fold the paper towel over the top.  Voila!  A filter to keep out the grounds.  Being an old fart we figured these things out eons ago.

Alternatively, you can chew and enjoy the grounds when you get to the bottom of the cup.

Yes, I am an old fart - or as a client told me this morning, I've become an old curmudgeon.  And I'm damn proud of it!

I'm a hopeless addict. These days I'll drink 2 12 cup pots (decaf these days) but I'll still drink a pretty good sized mug of espresso or mocha at home or stop at a coffee shop

or Kwik Trip and hit their espresso machine. This is backed way off from old habit's where I'd snack on chocolate covered espresso beans or even just plain whole coffee beans. between cups. I've started forcing myself to drink plain water recently. Time to start giving my kidneys a break.

30 minutes ago, terrym said:

Update:

I used to. Even bought coffee in bulk from "coffee beans direct" online. Turkish coffee - extremely fine grind, like flour, Espresso - very fine ground - drip brew - med to med coarse, French Press - coarse. 

The very best, most flavorful coffee will come from loose boil (cowboy coffee), Espresso or coffee press. Next would be drip brew using a very fine screen filter.(pare filters remove a great deal of the essential oils the add greatly to the full flavor of the very best cup. However these same oils wil turn bitter if the coffee isn't drunk in a reasonably short time. coffee left on heat will go flat and bitter if it's kept heated for a long period. 

I was wondering if the fact there is no manufactured/paper filter was partly why it tasted better? Kind of  what makes cowboy coffee good. I could easily McGiver a drip filter to fit in the basket.  

Three or four cups in the morning, then no more. Just read an article about the positive health effects of coffee.

• 1 month later...

Used to drink three or four strong cups of really good coffee each morning. Got mouth cancer last year and can't drink it anymore. I damn sure miss it.

Use to drink 1/2 a pot every morning and was addicted to coke (the brown stuff not the white stuff). Stopped all pop a couple years ago and cut my coffee down to a couple cups on the weekends.

Might have increased my beer consumption though. Everything has a price.

For the last 3 years or so, I have had the squirts 3-4 times a day. So bad that I would plan everything around the availability of a flush nearby. Went to a couple of doctor friends about it and both blamed it on the tremendous number of prescribed meds I was taking for all my ailments. I just refused to let it go and tried all kinds of adjustments and re-adjustments to my daily routines and food and beverage intakes. Blow me down, but the most obvious cause was the fact that I never eat breakfast, but survived on a 16 oz. mug of coffee all morning until lunch. This past week I stopped drinking coffee in the morning and switched to a weak black tea, now even without eating anything I have stopped running because of the runs. I now drink 1 12 oz mug of coffee with dessert after supper. Fingers crossed that I have found the cause...and cure!

• 1 month later...

You eat dessert every night? :/

i would stare at the ceiling half the half the night if I drank it that time of day. Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. Would rather skip dinner than breakfast. 

On 10/30/2017 at 12:08 AM, Ben Hong said:

For the last 3 years or so, I have had the squirts 3-4 times a day. So bad that I would plan everything around the availability of a flush nearby. Went to a couple of doctor friends about it and both blamed it on the tremendous number of prescribed meds I was taking for all my ailments. I just refused to let it go and tried all kinds of adjustments and re-adjustments to my daily routines and food and beverage intakes. Blow me down, but the most obvious cause was the fact that I never eat breakfast, but survived on a 16 oz. mug of coffee all morning until lunch. This past week I stopped drinking coffee in the morning and switched to a weak black tea, now even without eating anything I have stopped running because of the runs. I now drink 1 12 oz mug of coffee with dessert after supper. Fingers crossed that I have found the cause...and cure!

I had some health issues that started with this, and then progressed to starting to pass out, extreme food intolerance, and a whole host of other fun things.  I had a bunch of work and family induced stress at the time that collaborated to induce this (believe to be autonomic dysfunction).  Caffeine is not my friend...I avoid it in all forms now. 

Coffee on an empty stomach will flat out mess you up.  I had no love for coffee most of my adult life until after I retired from my first career and started a second.  Went into a job working on a proposal which required long long hours (12 hours a day) for about 3 weeks straight (including Sat/Sun).  To keep my edge I turned into a coffee consumer in great quantities and paid the price.  Now I'm a 2 cup a day guy first thing in the morning, but if I don't have those 2 cups I tend to feel sluggish.  Obviously I'm now addicted to the Caffeine and need it to function.  Wish I'd never gotten hooked on it.  Life was much simpler without it.