Solar Eclipse

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past month or so, you're probably aware of the solar eclipse coming on Monday afternoon...

We're expecting about 80% totality in this area, and the weather forecast looks good at this point. Our Marketing Dept. at work sent out a meeting invite for an 'eclipse viewing party' to be held out front on the sidewalk, BYOG (bring your own glasses). I dug up an old pair of eclipse viewing glasses I've had for probably 25 years or so, tested them this afternoon and didn't go blind, so I'm good to go. I'm thinking I can just walk out the back door and probably have a very similar view without having to mingle with the marketers or share my glasses B|.

What about you? Got your glasses ready? Anyone planning a road trip to battle the crowds heading to the 'path of totality'? Actually, I think celestial events like this are pretty cool.

Roger

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kansas Big Dog

• mister grouse

• River19

• Crazy Horse

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent the weekend at my nephew's home in Rigby, Idaho just to experience a total eclipse and to snap a few hundred photos. It was so worth the trip. I was in total awe.  I knew it would get dar

Buddy in So. Carolina just sent me this picture

Having travelled a good chunk to get into the path of totality, it was awesome, and not in the cheap overused sense of the word, but I n the original meaning of being awe inspiring.  The clouds in Cha

Posted Images

Headed to Charleston to see it on the "path of totality".  Have a son who is into astronomy and all things science and space, surprising him for his birthday with the trip. Hoping the weather holds and the family gets to see a good show.  Oh yeah, plan to get a little salt water fishing in to end the summer.  

Then back to home where i'll need to wipe the dust off the shotguns and start to get ready for fall.

Cooter Brown

My cousin has a cabin in north Georgia.  It's about 3 miles from the path of totality.  I'm planning to head up there Saturday.

Apparently in north Georgia every hotel, B&B, campground etc. has been booked up for weeks.  No way in hell I'd go anywhere near it if I didn't have a private place to stay.  Traffic jams are not why I go to north Georgia.

Total eclipse time at my house is 1 minute and 47 seconds -- I'm staying put!  Madras, Oregon is a little town of 6,500 just east of the Cascade mountains.  They think there may be as many as 150,000 in town for the eclipse.  Good place to stay away from.

Bert in W N.C.

Starsky, we are in a similar situation. Small town under totality with projected numbers of people that seem a bit over whelming. Part of me thinks it may be CLS. Chicken Little Syndrome, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" , a little pun intended there. Cabins and hotels are booked in the area. The county delayed the start of school by one day, it is now the 22nd. We shall see. 

We're headed to some private land in Wyoming.  3 1/2 hours away.  I'm wondering how long it will take to get back home on Monday!  I'm not worried about getting up there Friday but I'm strapping a couple of full jerry cans on the truck so we can choose our way home and not have to go on the highway.  

We live on the edge of the total eclipse area. We're staying put. We have the NASA approved glasses and hope the crowds pass us by. The best eclipse story I have heard is the Menard's store in St Joseph MO is closing all day Monday. It seems they have rented the entire parking lot out to a Chinese travel outfit and they will pack it with tourist from China. Cool.

Kansas Big Dog

Our house is in the area of totality, we will have about 2 minutes of darkness and will be able to look with out protection.

Can't find glasses up here--where it'll only be 66% or so-- for love or money. I'm hoping  to get some cheap welders goggles. My family took the day off and we plan a picnic viewing.  

There re will be another one in April 2024 with totality in northern New England. I hope the weather is as good for that one. 

I plan to be driving around in my big orange truck doing whatever it is we are going to be doing that day for me it is just another day in paradise 

4 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Our house is in the area of totality, we will have about 2 minutes of darkness and will be able to look with out protection.

WRONG!!! Even looking at the corona requires the proper protection. Do not risk serious, irreparable eye injury.

24 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

WRONG!!! Even looking at the corona requires the proper protection. Do not risk serious, irreparable eye injury.

X2

I am about 20 min from where they say is going to the longest time of full eclipse in my area. They say it's going to be crazy. People from all over will be in our state.  It should be a neat observation but I am concerned about my eyes looking at it. I have approved glasses but some eye doctors say that they may not be enough protection. I'm going to look at it but im thinking I will keep my dominate shooting eye closed.  They say our part of the state will experience the eclipse from start to finish will last for a little over 4 hrs

It's suppose to be just over 90% here. I remember the one in 1994 that was about 75%, I thought that was impressive. I have my glasses and have plans to do a time lapse of the backyard as it gets darker. All this assures me that we will have clouds on Monday. B| :( The weather dudes are trying to keep hope alive but I just have a feeling. Sun and clear skies all summer, now lately we have been having clouds and rain.

I would actually like to go fishing on Monday. Two sunsets and sunrises in one day should make for good fishing. Makes me wonder if this happened in mid October how the hunting would be. Would pheasants go to roost early? Would the state close hunting for the couple minutes of totality if it went right overhead?

In 94 the song birds all chirped like it was evening and then got very active afterwards.

Tim

Crowds didn't materialize yesterday, we'll see if they show up today, otherwise it looks a it like Y2k. I look forward to catching it without the crazies around it thankfully looks like. (knocks on wood!)