Solar Eclipse

Kansas Big Dog
On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Crazy Horse said:

WRONG!!! Even looking at the corona requires the proper protection. Do not risk serious, irreparable eye injury.

Checked out most sights, all said that a total eclipse is the only time you can view with naked eye. Check out NASA.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kansas Big Dog

• mister grouse

• River19

• Crazy Horse

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent the weekend at my nephew's home in Rigby, Idaho just to experience a total eclipse and to snap a few hundred photos. It was so worth the trip. I was in total awe.  I knew it would get dar

Buddy in So. Carolina just sent me this picture

Having travelled a good chunk to get into the path of totality, it was awesome, and not in the cheap overused sense of the word, but I n the original meaning of being awe inspiring.  The clouds in Cha

Posted Images

Memphis Steve

I bought a dozen pair of glasses for the family and friends this morning, there were hundreds of people in line 30 minutes before the museum opened. A local company makes them, and last week they were on a local talk show and said they were processing 1,500 orders a day, and each order was pretty big. 

PartridgeCartridge
1 hour ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Checked out most sights, all said that a total eclipse is the only time you can view with naked eye. Check out NASA.

I guess we'll see if you are right. On the other hand, if you are wrong, you won't see anything.

3 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

With the naked eye IF you are in the path of totality AND you ONLY look during the period of totality.  So if you are outside of that 70 mile ribbon of totality you need glasses.  If you are in the path of totality but can't ensure you will only look during that ~2 minutes of totality, you need glasses. 

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

I remember seeing my first 95% eclipse on July 20, 1963. One or two young neighbourhood kids looked directly at the sun and got permanent (blind) spots on their retina.

A wise man once told me ..."Boy, you gonna gamble, you gonna lose!"

Words to live by.

grousehunter 61

Roads out here are packed already, motels are full., camp grounds are full,  

as far as I go, if I want to see dark I will wait until night fall. 

mister grouse

Dead in the path.  2 minutes 30 seconds +- of totality.  Its a big deal here.  Rooms sold out and parking places being sold out in advance , mostly to OOS.  Schools closed.  

Optometrist and a nationally recognized scientist on news saying even welders goggles are not safe; and apparently some of the special glasses being recalled as well .   Estimated that area here is second in country in terms of being closest to the largest population base in country for totality  so who knows how many will show.    

I have the very best location to see the "Total Eclipse" from start to finish. I just cleaned the screan of my TV. I'm gonna sit back in my recliner with a nice cold beer and watch the show.

No shades required!

We're near the middle of the area of totality with 2 min 30+ seconds of totality.

Our Experimental Aircraft Association chapter is having a hamburger and hot dog lunch at the airport for members and friends with 200+ signed up to drive or fly in.  As a part owner in an airplane hangared there I have an airport gate pass and had planned to park inside the security fence but there are several other events at a park and business right at the airport and traffic is expected to be a major snarl.  We're now thinking that it will be better to walk the 2 miles from home to the airport and not have to worry about traffic.

The airport has an unobstructed so it is an ideal place from which to view the eclipse - now the final outcome depends on the weather.

Kansas Big Dog
On 8/18/2017 at 11:48 PM, Dave Quindt said:

With the naked eye IF you are in the path of totality AND you ONLY look during the period of totality.  So if you are outside of that 70 mile ribbon of totality you need glasses.  If you are in the path of totality but can't ensure you will only look during that ~2 minutes of totality, you need glasses. 

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Yeah, that is what I looked at too. We live close to the middle of the 70 mile wide area of totality. It will be easy to ascertain if it time. I would never look at the sun, even with glasses. But, during totality, the moon completely blocks the sun. So, really, you are looking at the moon blocking the sun.

I guess I'm just not as much into this as others are. Our daughter invited us to visit her at her home near Asheville NC but we decided not to make the drive. We will be watching here in OH where I think we have 80+% totality. 

As for glasses, I'll be wearing them. A couple years ago I had cataract surgery and got to experience what it's like to be blind after my natural lens was removed but before the replacement was implanted. Eye protection became very important to me after that and I'm not about to gamble. 

We drove up to Bend, Oregon yesterday to visit my wife's twin sister and experience the eclipse. Supposed to be 99.7 % eclipse here.

We brought the proper glasses with us. This is my 2nd experience with a TSE. During my senior year in high school, my science teacher, a friend, and I went to Najopa, Mexico for one. We had numerous cameras set up with various lens filters to see what gases where on the sun. Our teacher had a Ph.D.  and did research at Cal. As it turned out, our results were published in Scientific American a year later. Pretty cool.

Maybe I'm in the minority.....I really could care less.

Supposedly 2:47pm today in my neck of the woods......let me look at my schedule.....nope, going to be in a forecast meeting for the medical records business with my engineer.....I guess I'll have to wait until 2024.....or whenever.....

Crowds finally showed up here yesterday as the weather forecast cleared. Heading on shift this morning, feels like D Day.