REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Didn't know that...

Birdcountry70

Did you know,  all knife blades are "high carbon steel".  Stainless steel blades just have other things added ( Mainly chromium) to give them  properties like stain resistance. 

barna

Did you know that you have to aim under a going away (with a slight rise) bird if you want to give it a lead?   If you aim above the bird then the shot will be way above the bird by the time the it reaches the point where the bird was when you aimed.

Barna    

Greg Hartman

Didjaknow that there have been over one million posts right here on UJ.  I've probably read most them.  Sigh.

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Part of my job here is to keep things interesting and stimulating. That's certainly up for debate.

Having, or even doing, a job does not mean that one is good at it. 

4 hours ago, RuffChaser said:

Did you know... On the dash near your fuel gauge there is a little arrow by the fuel pump image. That arrow points to which side of your vehicle the Gas lid is on.

Not always... 

Remo
25 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Didjaknow that there have been over one million posts right here on UJ.  I've probably read most them.  Sigh.

Yeah, some us of have no life. Did you know the super eclipse quadrupled the gravitational pull for bit and thus caused my buddy to be unable to set the hook on a whopper walleye? I also think it screwed up my personal magnetism.

Most bars that have live music lose money on the band. (Original music, cover bands don't count.) 

henryrski

Did you know I don't give a damn what other people because I know it all.:D

RuffChaser
1 hour ago, NECarson said:

Not always... 

I did not know that... Actually I did but I believe most do.

RuffChaser
4 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

Did you know that glass (such as window glass) is actually a liquid. There is some controversy, however since glass has no crystalline structure many scientists define it as a liquid in a super-cooled state. While in college I obtained a lot of free beers with that knowledge, of course I had to keep a photo-copy of the definition in my wallet as proof.

Steve

I believe it sags over time do to its liquid state. This can be seen in old windows where the glass is usually thicker at the bottom than at the top. I'm not sure if it applies to tempered glass though. I'd think it would.

mshowman

Did you know that if you cut 2 pieces of crown molding at 45 degree angles they won't fit properly on a 45 degree corner, but if  you turn them upside down and end-for-end to cut them, they will?

rich223

Did you know that bird hunters go bat sh!t crazy in August

browndrake
27 minutes ago, mshowman said:

Did you know that if you cut 2 pieces of crown molding at 45 degree angles they won't fit properly on a 45 degree corner, but if  you turn them upside down and end-for-end to cut them, they will?

Just a slight correction.

You would have to do your "upside down" cut at 22.5° to get your 45° corner.  Two 45s make 90... But (your real point) how you position the crown on saw is critical for the crown to fit correctly.

Brad Eden

Did you know...that if you are sick of green tomatoes that refuse to turn red, you can take a shovel and dig a circle 6" or so around and away from the stem, thus severing a load of roots, which stresses the plant without killing it and causing it to turn those tomatoes red sooner.

RuffChaser
16 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

Here's a "did you know" mistake I often hear from bird hunters:  Did you know that hen pheasants will raise only one brood of chicks per year?  If you've heard reference to "second hatch birds" . . . yes, quail and some other gamebirds will raise more than one brood under the right conditions.  Pheasants will not.  However, if a hen loses her clutch (flooded nest, raccoon or other nest predator etc) BEFORE the eggs hatch, she will renest.  More than once, in fact, in an attempt to bring off a brood.  But successive renesting attempts consist of progressively smaller numbers of eggs.  And because much of pheasant country is cold country, chicks hatched too late in the season have a reduced chance of making it through the winter--especially if cold weather and snow come early.

Thank you for stating this. Ruffed Grouse and WC only raise one brood as well. They'll re-nest if they loose eggs but can't lay eggs after the chicks hatch. I hear this all the time and try to correct people.