REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Didn't know that...

32 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Did you know the same storm system can have both a hurricane and tornadoes?    

I'd be more surprised if a hurricane didn't spawn tornadoes... 

Up North

Crocodiles and alligators use incubation temperatures to determine sex. Eggs in extremely high or low temperatures become male and eggs in medium temperatures become female.

bennelli-banger
On August 24, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Brad Eden said:

Did you know...that under particularly harsh and stressful winter conditions a whitetail doe will reabsorb or abort its fetus

Did you know...a black bear doesn't actually hibernate by definition, and eats a lot of roughage prior to denning to create what's called an Anal Plug so it doesn't deficate in its den.

Me too....

jeff88
16 hours ago, NECarson said:

I'd be more surprised if a hurricane didn't spawn tornadoes... 

As an Oklahoman, you know tornadoes!  

Tom Avent

In the words of one of my college roommates(actually ended up being the most successful out of 5 of us)...."I don't know much, but I know I'll have another beer."

On 8/27/2017 at 10:04 AM, jeff88 said:

As an Oklahoman, you know tornadoes!  

And by birth (and raising) I'm a gulf coast boy, so I've got some experience with hurricanes too!

jeff88
10 hours ago, NECarson said:

And by birth (and raising) I'm a gulf coast boy, so I've got some experience with hurricanes too!

Now there's a well-rounded upbringing!  Moving here in 2000 we were only familiar with tornadoes, one of which came very close to us in PGH.  The best single day of ruff hunting in PA for me was in an area that tornadoes had destroyed decades earlier - this place was loaded with perfect habitat.  Hurricanes and tropical storms are yet another matter altogether.  This is wicked bad as the New England UJ-ers might say.  Which brings us back to:

Did you know flooding can be man-made on purpose?  Just as the rains subsided to a mere downpour, the San Jacinto River folks had to do a major water release just North of us on Lake Conroe.  All along the SanJac the river and tributaries rose back up and even those who escaped the initial flooding got whacked.  Can't blame the river authority - if they hadn't done that and about a half-mile of earthen dam breaks up, I ain't writing this note.  In fact, there would be a good chance that loss of life would be very high, not just power.  Highways, bridges and utility stations would also have been destroyed.  Friends who have a place on the lake reported the level was up 5' and rising when they started the release.

32 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Now there's a well-rounded upbringing!  Moving here in 2000 we were only familiar with tornadoes, one of which came very close to us in PGH.  The best single day of ruff hunting in PA for me was in an area that tornadoes had destroyed decades earlier - this place was loaded with perfect habitat.  Hurricanes and tropical storms are yet another matter altogether.  This is wicked bad as the New England UJ-ers might say.  Which brings us back to:

Did you know flooding can be man-made on purpose?  Just as the rains subsided to a mere downpour, the San Jacinto River folks had to do a major water release just North of us on Lake Conroe.  All along the SanJac the river and tributaries rose back up and even those who escaped the initial flooding got whacked.  Can't blame the river authority - if they hadn't done that and about a half-mile of earthen dam breaks up, I ain't writing this note.  In fact, there would be a good chance that loss of life would be very high, not just power.  Highways, bridges and utility stations would also have been destroyed.  Friends who have a place on the lake reported the level was up 5' and rising when they started the release.

Yeah... Home to me is Liberty, I grew up watching release numbers from the Livingston dam. 

jeff88
32 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Yeah... Home to me is Liberty, I grew up watching release numbers from the Livingston dam. 

When we head East to FL, we take 105 through your old stomping grounds.

Spin
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, Brad Eden said:

Part of my job here is to keep things interesting and stimulating. That's certainly up for debate.

When you gonna start work?9_9   Sorry Brad, the Devil made me do it!

Brad Eden
10 minutes ago, Spin said:

When you gonna start work?9_9   Sorry Brad, the Devil made me do it!

Postholed you earlier today for political content, so...I'm on the job.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

When we head East to FL, we take 105 through your old stomping grounds.

Small world! 

Spin
11 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Postholed you earlier today for political content, so...I'm on the job.:ph34r:

Okey Dokey, It's your playground but what I stated was just simple fact, truth, history and by early afternoon all over radio, newspapers and television. Unless they plan to hide in a cave objectors are going to hear it.

Brad Eden
6 hours ago, Spin said:

Okey Dokey, It's your playground but what I stated was just simple fact, truth, history and by early afternoon all over radio, newspapers and television. Unless they plan to hide in a cave objectors are going to hear it.

Actually It's all Members playground, I'm just the hall monitor...and it doesn't matter, this is a No Politics Board and you know that. Like you alluded to, I'm just doing my job.

Did you know...the no politics rule has been in operation since this Board was launched nearly 16 years ago in March of 2002. That alone has fostered more friendships than can be counted, that otherwise would have never been made had the Political bile been spilled over the years. 

Spin
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Actually It's all Members playground, I'm just the hall monitor...and it doesn't matter, this is a No Politics Board and you know that. Like you alluded to, I'm just doing my job.

Did you know...the no politics rule has been in operation since this Board was launched nearly 16 years ago in March of 2002. That alone has fostered more friendships than can be counted, that otherwise would have never been made had the Political bile been spilled over the years. 

Brad I think you're completely missing the point of my original post. The point I made "Serves The "Victims" of this disaster. The emphasis of the self interest and lack of empathy spotlighted will spur aid and help to prevent such a thing from happening again. It should not of happened in the first place and is very wrong. Exposing it is only fair and right and unfortunately  political interests of a particular party "Were" involved and those responsible should be brought to light so this behavior does not occur again. In fortunately this type of event will happen again and with increasing frequency and violence. Whether or not we like it there is an intrinsic link to politics here It does affect us all and that includes we the Hunting Community and members of this board.

As an aside my older sister, her husband and two sons lived in Texas for close to 20 years and most of that in the Huston area. Their two sons were born and raised into their teen years there. Needless to say they have many close friends affected by this disaster. Sorry to ruffle your or anyone else's feathers here and I do appreciate your position and greatly support it but there are I believe, times when exceptions can be made but feel you and the membership do deserve an explanation.