Didn't know that...

Did you know...that if you are sick of green tomatoes that refuse to turn red, you can take a shovel and dig a circle 6" or so around and away from the stem, thus severing a load of roots, which stresses the plant without killing it and causing it to turn those tomatoes red sooner.

...also, did you know that if you are sick of tomato plant transplants struggling to thrive after planting, (digging a hole and sticking the root ball deep into cold earth) pull off all the stems and leaves except for those at top, dig a trench 4-6 inches deep and lie the rootball and stem lengthwise in trench, and cover just leaving the top with leaves above ground. If you were to pull up that plant later you'd see roots had formed all along the length of the stem. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• RuffChaser

• erik meade

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should have added this.    Did you know...that I think clam strips should be illegal to serve, at least in Maine. If you can't eat a whole clam then order chicken fingers.

Did you know that after you dice jalapeños for salsa you absolutely need to scrub your hands thoroughly and repeatedly before taking a pee? I learned that yesterday. 

Did you know that bird hunters go bat sh!t crazy in August

Posted Images

Do you know when you are over 60 that your grow more hair on your ears then the top of your head.  Well, only speaking of personal experience of course. 

Did you know, in the southern climes of the US the first brood of dove can and often do hatch a brood of their in the same season.

No wonder there are so many dove.

6 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

Did you know that glass (such as window glass) is actually a liquid. There is some controversy, however since glass has no crystalline structure many scientists define it as a liquid in a super-cooled state. While in college I obtained a lot of free beers with that knowledge, of course I had to keep a photo-copy of the definition in my wallet as proof.

Steve

I think you should pay those beers back...  

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-glass-is-a-liquid-myth-has-finally-been-destroyed-496190894

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-fiction-glass-liquid/

http://www.cmog.org/article/does-glass-flow

11 minutes ago, erik meade said:

Then one of my college professors needs to know they were wrong.

22 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

Then one of my college professors needs to know they were wrong.

Presumably your college professor keeps up on the research and already knows they were wrong.

I know this is true for turkeys and assume it would be for grouse and most other galliformes.

Juvenile males molt during the spring (it's why their center tail feathers are longer), toms molt after the breeding season, hens do not molt until they have a brood or no longer renest. There is a hormonal change in the hen once a brood is present.

I believe this hormone change is what stops a turkey from having a second brood.

Did you know that leap years do not occur every 4 years?

Years divisible by 100 are not a leap years, unless they are also divisible by 4.

So 1600 was a leap year

1700, 1800, 1900 were not

2000 was

2100 will not be a leap year.

Did you know warm water freezes faster than cold water,

But cold water does not boil faster than warm water?

4 hours ago, RuffChaser said:

I did not know that... Actually I did but I believe most do.

I've heard it a few times, I just know on my truck it's opposite. Lol

8 minutes ago, erik meade said:

Did you know that peacocks do not lay eggs?

Did you know peahens do?

10 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Did you know...that I've found, on some if not many modern push button 4WD vehicles, the four tires need to be the same brand, size, wear, and close to same tire pressure or 4WD won't engage, and often the transfer case BANGS somewhat violently into gear when putting the vehicle in 4WD. 

That's why I drive Subarus...they don't have such problems.

Did you know that except in dextrocardia, the left testes hangs lower because the vein returns to the renal vein and causes greater back pressure.  The right side returns to the vena cava and has less head.   Did you also know that hunting season opens in a week here?

5 hours ago, Fishnfowler said:

Did you know that except in dextrocardia, the left testes hangs lower because the vein returns to the renal vein and causes greater back pressure.  The right side returns to the vena cava and has less head.   Did you also know that hunting season opens in a week here?

Yes, I know that...this offset blood flow in the testes anatomy can cause what is termed a varicosele; a relatively harmless but somewhat uncomfortable enlargement of the mass of veins in the left "side", sometimes described as feeling and looking like a bag of worms. This varicosele is only obvious when standing and basically disappears while lying down. And no, I didn't have to Google all that.

No, I did not know your hunting season started in a week.