Didn't know that...

11 hours ago, RuffChaser said:

Thank you for stating this. Ruffed Grouse and WC only raise one brood as well. They'll re-nest if they loose eggs but can't lay eggs after the chicks hatch. I hear this all the time and try to correct people.

And woodcock usually lay only 4 eggs.  But they have a very high survival rate compared to other upland birds.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• RuffChaser

• erik meade

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should have added this.    Did you know...that I think clam strips should be illegal to serve, at least in Maine. If you can't eat a whole clam then order chicken fingers.

Did you know that after you dice jalapeños for salsa you absolutely need to scrub your hands thoroughly and repeatedly before taking a pee? I learned that yesterday. 

Did you know that bird hunters go bat sh!t crazy in August

Posted Images

Speaking of Woodcock, did you know their brains are upside down as compared to other birds? And that the tip of their bill is prehensile, meaning the tip or mandible moves independently from the rest of the beak to help grasp and extract earthworms from the ground.

Did you know...that under particularly harsh and stressful winter conditions a whitetail doe will reabsorb or abort its fetus

Did you know...a black bear doesn't actually hibernate by definition, and eats a lot of roughage prior to denning to create what's called an Anal Plug so it doesn't deficate in its den.

21 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Speaking of Woodcock, did you know their brains are upside down as compared to other birds? And that the tip of their bill is prehensile, meaning the tip or mandible moves independently from the rest of the beak to help grasp and extract earthworms from the ground.

Yes I did.

Did you know the whistling noise they make is caused by their outer three wing feathers? You probably did since I believe that one is pretty much common knowledge at this point.

Did you know that until recent GPS research it was believed WC couldn't migrate more than 50 miles at a time but that number is now known to be closer to 100 miles if conditions are right? 

Did you know that Snipe make a noise, winnowing, when they are doing their mating flight and that is created by their tail feathers?

Eric, all this occurred about 40 years ago and according to the science at the time I was correct. Perhaps they should go to Dana's Manual of Mineralogy to retrieve their beer money. I mentioned that it was controversial and it appears there's still controversy going on.

Steve

2 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

And woodcock usually lay only 4 eggs.  But they have a very high survival rate compared to other upland birds.

Well, sure. What would eat a woodcock on purpose?

1 hour ago, Remo said:

Well, sure. What would eat a woodcock on purpose?

Me. 

IMG_3002.JPG

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Did you know when WC are born their bill is 14-16 mm long and grows 2 mm per day?

Did you know that the WC eggs are split lengthwise when they hatch? That is one way to tell the difference between a predated nest and a hatched brood.

7 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

Did you know when WC are born their bill is 14-16 mm long and grows 2 mm per day?

Did you know that the WC eggs are split lengthwise when they hatch? That is one way to tell the difference between a predated nest and a hatched brood.

You win.

Just now, Brad Eden said:

You win.

I think everyone reading this wins. They are all so much more knowledgeable than they were prior to this thread. I'm a volunteer WC bander for MN. I have tons of information about them. I have read more about them than most and have sat in on discussion with wildlife biologists sharing lots of details about them, where to find them, their biology, mating rituals, etc. My wife calls it "useless" information. I tend to disagree with her. Outside of Wc and a few details about grouse I am pretty clueless.

Should have added this. ;)

Did you know...that I think clam strips should be illegal to serve, at least in Maine. If you can't eat a whole clam then order chicken fingers.

18 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Should have added this. ;)

Did you know...that I think clam strips should be illegal to serve, at least in Maine. If you can't eat a whole clam then order chicken fingers.

I agree 

Clam strips are for phonies  . Real men eat bellies !!!!

Did you know that when you put down a deposit on a puppy without telling your wife, she is eventually going to find out.  Possibly before you bring it home. 

14 hours ago, erik meade said:

Did you know that leap years do not occur every 4 years?

Years divisible by 100 are not a leap years, unless they are also divisible by 4.

So 1600 was a leap year

1700, 1800, 1900 were not

2000 was

2100 will not be a leap year.

Yes - My grandfather was born 2/29/1896  - he was eight years old by the time he actually had his first birthday.

4 hours ago, co_setter said:

Yes - My grandfather was born 2/29/1896  - he was eight years old by the time he actually had his first birthday.

I bet that was some fantastic party!