Inexpensive GPS

I have a pretty good sense of direction and have a compass, but don't want to be that "56 year-old father of two lost in the GWNF" on the local news so looking for something simple and inexpensive primarily to find my way back my vehicle. Bushnell has one for around $50 with 3 way-points, but it has mixed reviews. Recommendations? Thanks.

I did some GPS training last year with some really inexperienced folks and the Etrex 10 worked out really well.  Pretty much bombproof.  You can mark various waypoints and then go back to them etc.   Its pretty intuitive. 

1 hour ago, tut said:

I did some GPS training last year with some really inexperienced folks and the Etrex 10 worked out really well.  Pretty much bombproof.  You can mark various waypoints and then go back to them etc.   Its pretty intuitive. 

I've had one of these yellow Etrex since before they were the "10" model. It has been flawless. I first used it to mark large rocks at ground level when combining beans, and then for my ice fishing holes. Just keep an eye on your battery level and a couple spares in your vest.

Do you have a smartphone in your pocket already? If so, an inexpensive route is to get an app like Locus Map Pro. 

9 hours ago, Marc said:

Do you have a smartphone in your pocket already? If so, an inexpensive route is to get an app like Locus Map Pro. 

I agree 100 percent.  However, most of the places I end up wandering into don't have cell phone coverage.

I have used the back track 5 for yrs & it has never let us down. Sometimes the cursor would float and I would adjust by walking down the feet to  my waypoint and it was always spot on.  Simple to use .

1 hour ago, tut said:

I agree 100 percent.  However, most of the places I end up wandering into don't have cell phone coverage.

Many new smartphones have a built in GPS that does not need cell coverage, and with an app like Locus Map Pro you can download topo maps to use offline on your phone. 

Thanks, guys. I do have a smart phone, but it seems like the battery is always low when I really need it so will also look further at the Bushnell and Etrex.

Used an etrex 20 (I think?, may have been 30) on my last trip out west.  Worked great.  We ended up using it more during the week than my friends high end thing that crapped out on day two.  I'm a techno dropout so if I could use it anyone can. 

14 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Used an etrex 20 (I think?, may have been 30) on my last trip out west.  Worked great.  We ended up using it more during the week than my friends high end thing that crapped out on day two.  I'm a techno dropout so if I could use it anyone can. 

It suck's when equipment shit's the bed...... :D

If I wasn't too sure about liking a GPS or not I would still invest in a model that has the chip capabilities. The Onx app for you phone has gotten mixed reviews

that you can check out in tis website

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/forumdisplay.php?380-Other-Product-and-Gear 

They also have other good info.

Robert