REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
RookieEP

Toyota Sequoia Owners

RookieEP

Thinking this will be the next hunting rig.  Anyone have experience?  Looking from a hunters experience / review

salmontogue

There have been three in my extended family.  Two were mediocre and one was good.....based on reliability and repair frequency.  Fuel economy is dreadful.  They are priced very high based on value received.  Off road performance is only decent.  I would look at Ford, GM and Audi,

Major problems were transmission and electrical.

Perk

rideold

I have a 2002 with 245,000 miles on it.  Generally it is a great truck.  They have a couple of issues but like any other vehicle they are not that hard to deal with if you are aware of them.  The first is the rear gate latch.  The handle is plastic and when the latch gets older it starts to bind and the handle breaks on a regular basis.  It's $200 if you go to an independent shop but it is not that hard to do yourself.  The last time mine went I routed the cable down to a drain hole in the bottom of the gate and put a loop of p-cord on it.  I'll fix later on when I order a new latch since the one in there is not working well anymore.  The second issue is that there is a design flaw in the exhaust manifold.  Some of them warp and cause issues.  It's an expensive fix but if you get one and have it checked out it won't be a problem.  Mine ticks when I first start it up but goes away when it warms up.  Mechanic said if that keeps on then don't worry.  My only real gripe with the truck is the way the 4 wheel drive works.  On the first two years they made them (2001, 2002) the center diff only locks in first gear, low range.  They changed that on newer ones and at some point the first generation ones received a 4 speed tranny which is worth getting.   I'm not sure if any of this applies to the second generation made after 2007 or so.  Overall they are good vehicles with a very solid motor.  As for off road capabilities?  Well, let's just say I haven't had any problems.  I have driven it over tracks that I would not drive over again.  I haven't gotten it stuck.  The multi mode 4 wheel drive is nice for driving on pavement.  A lot of the other trucks out there are just 2 wheel or 4 wheel.  I like having the all wheel intermediate step.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more or want talk on the phone.

bmeador
54 minutes ago, rideold said:

I haven't gotten it stuck.

Oh boy - your season just changed!!!  Go by a winch TODAY!!!!  :)

Dogwood

Which years?

RookieEP
3 hours ago, salmontogue said:

There have been three in my extended family.  Two were mediocre and one was good.....based on reliability and repair frequency.  Fuel economy is dreadful.  They are priced very high based on value received.  Off road performance is only decent.  I would look at Ford, GM and Audi,

Major problems were transmission and electrical.

Perk

Surprised to hear transmission issues

salmontogue
1 hour ago, RookieEP said:

Surprised to hear transmission issues

Two out of three and also one Tundra and one Highlander (lots of Toyotas in the family) although their transmissions are probably different.  A local deer hunter and fly fisherman manages to get his Sequoia stuck off road frequently but that may be him.  I have called him to ask about it but no luck thus far.  I will let you know when I hear from him.

Short of buying a Land Cruiser, I would look at something else that is more robust.

This part of very rural Maine is tough on motor vehicles.  The manufacturers should use us for a proving ground.

Perk

RookieEP
4 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Two out of three and also one Tundra and one Highlander (lots of Toyotas in the family) although their transmissions are probably different.  A local deer hunter and fly fisherman manages to get his Sequoia stuck off road frequently but that may be him.  I have called him to ask about it but no luck thus far.  I will let you know when I hear from him.

Short of buying a Land Cruiser, I would look at something else that is more robust.

This part of very rural Maine is tough on motor vehicles.  The manufacturers should use us for a proving ground.

Perk

The reason I was looking Sequoia was size and reliability.  I won't be towing anything at least don't see it anytime soon.  This vehicle will be 98% on the road, 1% gravel, and the other 1% mild off road heading between spots.  

My wife has a Ford Explorer and has had a bunch of small issues - the biggest annoyance is dealing with the dealer here- horrible customer service and very difficult to get into.

Suburbans- I know people love em, but reliability is an issue from what I've read and short experience from friends and such

We had rental brand new Suburban- was gorgeous- quiet smooth of course plenty of room- the 4wd went out basically stranding my wife (were not even using the 4wd!).  

We mainly shop for reliability combined with safety.  

Dogwood

Had an '04.  Multiple frozen brake calipers.  Cracked exhaust manifold. Rusty frame issue; typical. Alternator twice in 100k.  Periodically I eyeball 3-4 year old Tundras on the local used car lots and am amazed at the amount of corrosion on the differentials and suspension relative to similar age Ford and GM's.  I can't understand why Toyota fails to better address that issue.

DAG

Get a Lexus GX.  A little smaller then a sequioa but really well built. Extremely capable off-road and smooth on the highway. I love mine and will get another for my wife in the spring. Gas mileage sucks. 

River19
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, DAG said:

Get a Lexus GX.  A little smaller then a sequioa but really well built. Extremely capable off-road and smooth on the highway. I love mine and will get another for my wife in the spring. Gas mileage sucks. 

We have a 2009 GX and a 2001 Tundra (along with a Ram 2500), had the GX for about a year now (bought used with 79K on it) ....nice rigs.....very well thought out and kind of a "Land Cruiser Light".....same reliable 4.7L engine, solid transmission, manual transfer case etc.  Rear air suspension is still installed but I will go with aftermarket 4runner parts when the bags or compressor goes.....

Love the interior space of the GX.....having 4 additional roof A/C vents and the rear zone is perfect for the dogs in crates in the back.......

RookieEP
On 10/3/2017 at 11:44 AM, River19 said:

We have a 2009 GX and a 2001 Tundra (along with a Ram 2500), had the GX for about a year now (bought used with 79K on it) ....nice rigs.....very well thought out and kind of a "Land Cruiser Light".....same reliable 4.7L engine, solid transmission, manual transfer case etc.  Rear air suspension is still installed but I will go with aftermarket 4runner parts when the bags or compressor goes.....

Love the interior space of the GX.....having 4 additional roof A/C vents and the rear zone is perfect for the dogs in crates in the back.......

Any pics?  Hunting pics?

River19

Pics yes.....but haven't had to hunt from the Lexus yet......I will this weekend as the Tundra needs some front end love.....but the Tundra is the hunting rig.

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

RookieEP
On 10/4/2017 at 8:15 PM, River19 said:

Pics yes.....but haven't had to hunt from the Lexus yet......I will this weekend as the Tundra needs some front end love.....but the Tundra is the hunting rig.

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

Does the rear window go up/down

RookieEP

Cabin is awesome