REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
tut

Garman Alpha/Astro Holster?

Hub

I wouldn't trust anything that costs that much to a snap to hold it.  I've got the Gizmodo cover with a cable through the bottom to hang it upside down.  Now that I have a Garmin watch synced with the unit I only look at the handset when I need it for a map.

WeeWilly

A locking carabiner with a large HVAC zip tie is all I trust.

IMG_0960.JPG

tut

Thanks.  I wondered about that snap.  I can see dragging my ass through thickets and looking down and seeing the holster got unsnapped and everything is back somewhere never to be found again.

brushbuster

I like these better for electronics.  I just picked one up will report at the end of the season how it held up.

TReign

Brookieslayer

Don from Coyote leather makes great products, they are all top quality and have been researched and designed well. I have never lost any of my electronics using his gear, it is field ready out of the box!

gunsrus
4 hours ago, brushbuster said:

I like these better for electronics.  I just picked one up will report at the end of the season how it held up.

TReign

Yup Orvis makes one that fits well . 

Another option is Gear Keeper retractible . Pin it to your strap vest and carry in the pocket . Never lose it . 

tut
2 hours ago, Brookieslayer said:

Don from Coyote leather makes great products, they are all top quality and have been researched and designed well. I have never lost any of my electronics using his gear, it is field ready out of the box!

I do like the looks.  Wasn't sure you couldn't put a zip tie around the snap part to make it less likely to unsnap.  I only use my Astro as a safety net.  I usually run a beeper, but last year I was in Michigan and suddenly the wind started whipping and I couldn't hear the beeper and lost contact with Sophie for ten minutes.  Scared the hell out of me.  After that I throw on the GPS tracker just in case.  

WAGinVA

I have used the Gizmo Vest holder for about 5 years on 220s and 320s.  I wear a mesh upland vest and sewed a dring inside the right pocket, hook the snap of the holder to the ring and place the whole works in my pocket.  Works very well and a great value.  https://outdoordogsupply.com/product/garmin-astro-430-and-320-gizzmo-case/

tut
1 hour ago, WAGinVA said:

I have used the Gizmo Vest holder for about 5 years on 220s and 320s.  I wear a mesh upland vest and sewed a dring inside the right pocket, hook the snap of the holder to the ring and place the whole works in my pocket.  Works very well and a great value.  https://outdoordogsupply.com/product/garmin-astro-430-and-320-gizzmo-case/

Please post a picture of the finished product attached to your vest if you get a chance.  That btw, is currently what I have my Astro in.  However, it hangs around my lanyard and gets caught on everything. 

WAGinVA

Tut,

Do not wait on a picture from me, I am a dino.  It is really very simple, sew a D ring on the INSIDE of a pocket that is big enough to hold the Astro  (preferably near the top of the pocket), hook the clip to the D ring and then place the Astro and lanyard inside the pocket.  Nothing to get hung up is outside the pocket.  The only down side is it will severely limit anything else you can put in that pocket.  I am using a Cabelas upland mesh vest and the pockets are pretty big so it does not give me a problem.  I also carry my shells in a shell belt to keep the weight off my shoulders and the shell belt is wide enough to give me a little back support.  Vest/belt combo has worked well for 35 years or more.

dogrunner

I have been using the Gizmo for a couple years and like it. I will get a pic up tomorrow. What I like about it is I can always see my screen without taking it in and out of something. Plus I don't like snaps. 

Brookieslayer
4 hours ago, tut said:

Please post a picture of the finished product attached to your vest if you get a chance.  That btw, is currently what I have my Astro in.  However, it hangs around my lanyard and gets caught on everything. 

I don't trust anything and run a simple tether of some sort on all my electronics... especially when grouse hunting her in NWO! The brush is grabby!