Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
tut

Garman Alpha/Astro Holster?

Recommended Posts

Guest
13 hours ago, WeeWilly said:

A locking carabiner with a large HVAC zip tie is all I trust.

IMG_0960.JPG

I do something very similar to this. 

 

Paracord, and a snap. No pictures though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
21 hours ago, WeeWilly said:

A locking carabiner with a large HVAC zip tie is all I trust.

IMG_0960.JPG

Just make sure your zip-ties are new,  old ones get brittle and crack easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
5 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Just make sure your zip-ties are new,  old ones get brittle and crack easy. 

The HVAC ones are incredibly durable in my experience, even when left outside 24/7. But they are hard and sharp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hub
3 hours ago, NECarson said:

The HVAC ones are incredibly durable in my experience, even when left outside 24/7. But they are hard and sharp. 

I use a cabled steel key ring in place of the zip tie.  I feel they are more durable than any zip tie and just thin enough to slip through like the same attachment point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
57 minutes ago, Hub said:

I use a cabled steel key ring in place of the zip tie.  I feel they are more durable than any zip tie and just thin enough to slip through like the same attachment point.

I used those for a while. No significant reason I switched to paracord. Boredom probably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

Hung off my strap with zip ties, very easy to grab twist and look at. Also can hook my dogtra right next to it. 

A90C72D8-16B4-4D70-A087-392B3445C606.jpeg

119EE36C-E577-4266-8669-78AB8B879540.jpeg

5111C8B7-3DAF-41D7-A538-7262DE5C2546.jpeg

D9DC2464-8287-4421-BA91-D744D09B1689.jpeg

DEE372E8-3E43-4EE7-A691-A4CE5A01E2A5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mccuha
On 9/28/2017 at 3:14 PM, Hub said:

I use a cabled steel key ring in place of the zip tie.  I feel they are more durable than any zip tie and just thin enough to slip through like the same attachment point.

That's exactly what I do. I also leave the leash that comes on them and ties it off on the strap on my vest   Just in case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave Quindt

For those looking for a tougher zip tie, these stainless zip ties might be an option.

 

FWIW,

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tut
On 9/29/2017 at 8:16 PM, dogrunner said:

Hung off my strap with zip ties, very easy to grab twist and look at. Also can hook my dogtra right next to it. 

A90C72D8-16B4-4D70-A087-392B3445C606.jpeg

119EE36C-E577-4266-8669-78AB8B879540.jpeg

5111C8B7-3DAF-41D7-A538-7262DE5C2546.jpeg

D9DC2464-8287-4421-BA91-D744D09B1689.jpeg

DEE372E8-3E43-4EE7-A691-A4CE5A01E2A5.jpeg

 

 

Did you drill a hole in the strap to hook the Zip Ties to?  PS.  I can also see perhaps having another piece of strap sewn directly on both sides of the left shoulder strap leaving a gap in the middle where the clip fits, with the lanyard also hooked to my lanyard as a back up just in case it somehow slides off the newly sewn strap.  BTW, I have that exact same case but for an Astro.  pretty much bomb proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

Hole drilled and 2 different zip ties attached with case hooked and the strap also hooked plus my dogtra hooked on the alpha strap. 

7A089904-BD42-4E9B-B7DA-DB72ABE1301A.jpeg

A95BA14D-93C2-4C57-AE28-0E8DA4460F7D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mccuha
On ‎09‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:44 PM, Dave Quindt said:

For those looking for a tougher zip tie, these stainless zip ties might be an option.

 

FWIW,

Dave

 

those are a lot tougher for sure but one my concerns with even the plastic zip ties is they will scratch your stocks pretty easy. Depending on where you have them fastened to your vest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OH Grouser

Same concept as NECarson's, but I use a single length of paracord and a small Nite Ize clip to attach to my vest.

 

Roger

 

59d6c48ab7498_20171005_1941131.thumb.jpg.76ff8d1adc7a13b34adc325adad9ca92.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
18 minutes ago, OH Grouser said:

Same concept as NECarson's, but I use a single length of paracord and a small Nite Ize clip to attach to my vest.

 

Roger

 

59d6c48ab7498_20171005_1941131.thumb.jpg.76ff8d1adc7a13b34adc325adad9ca92.jpg

Those clips are awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dvmweb

I have the original Alpha. 4 or 5 years?

have always used the supplied clip, use it almost daily.

replaced it once because it was beginning to wear out.

works fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×