REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Speedgoat44

Got the 'fuzz' called on me today...

Speedgoat44

Thanks for letting me know about the new law - will have to tread lightly in Suburbia anytime the mutts are in tow.   Never gave it a second thought until this thing happened.

bobman

Notice the common denominator in these stories? 

They aren't all emotionally guided crazies just 95 percent of them. I've lived my entire life surrounded by them, 4 daughters, wife, three sisters and my mom, and it's an undeniable fact.

Love them, protect them, and take care of them ....but don't expect logic if you don't want to be disappointed.

gunsrus

My dog was on social media all day last week , until my neighbor saw it and explained . 

I let my dogs out and they run my property on a corner lot and up and down the stream out back . I am always out there with them even though they have been trained to stay off the street in a somewhat non traveled sub division . They never leave the back door without the Dogtra 2500 on them . Apparently someone went by and saw a "lost" dog standing on the corner with a "camera" on his neck and decided this was cause for alarm . No one could understand . Yuppie women with no job with nothing better to do . I guess his stint with the CIA is over . 

Speedgoat44

The LEO happened to be female - but I don't actually know who called in the report.  I've had more than one weird interaction with male LEOs as well - like the time the HWY patrol followed me all the way to my walk-in hunting area and interrogated me because I'd exited the interstate shortly after passing his speed trap. He thought I was trying to evade him - the bird vest and two barking dogs (legally crated!) didn't seem to convince him that I was a bird hunter, not a criminal.  Or the time the officer confronted me and my 10 yr old son at the golf course at dusk - "What are you guys doing here"  - as we practiced our putting on the practice green...head-scratchers.   

I'm just curious, and I am not saying you did anything wrong, but do you always take your dog along when your family goes out for pizza?

Kansas Big Dog
11 hours ago, Speedgoat44 said:

semi-urban town in Colorado

How close to Boulder?

Speedgoat44

Close enough, apparently.  Do I usually take my dogs along when my family goes out for pizza?   Not usually - the old dog is an eccentric vegan who shuns dairy.  The other will eat pizza, but we can never agree on toppings, so I only bring them when forced to, like when we're travelling. :) 

Don Steese

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. People who think they're being nice to their dog by buying a crate that's too large!!  The object of a crate is to keep the dog from flying through the air if you should have an accident. A crate that's too large defeats this purpose!!  Even fellow bird hunters, who should know better, do this!!  Given the choice between a crate that's slightly small or one that's slightly large for your dog,  the correct choice is the smaller one!!  

greg jacobs

A guy was telling his story. He went to the store for a few minutes.  Left his windows open a ways because it was warm but locked the doors. He came out and someone had reached in and unlocked the door and opened it. It was along a busy road and his old dog was there but his young red setter was missing. He found him an hour or two later. Don't think the person though that one through. Could have gotten the dog killed.

K9_206

I debated on even posting anything on this so I'll be keeping this to the point.  I have met people on other professions who have made decisions and told me things that make me scratch my head.  Cops are no different.

Typically those who take or are dispatched animal calls are community service officers, CSO's.  They are typically fresh out of school or in school for LE and not sworn officers.  They wear uniforms almost identical to ours.  They are inexperienced.

If we are dispatched a call, we have to respond even though at times we know it's BS.  Someone calls about a kid on a putting green, we are paid to go and investigate.  If it turns out to be nothing, it's nothing. If the cop doesn't go and the next morning the green has divots taken out of it, they will be standing tall in front of their boss asking why they didn't go to the call we all know is dumb. 

Final note, the "cream of the crop" in society are no longer applying for jobs in LE with today's climate.  Positions that we used to have hundreds apply for we now might get 40 apply for.  Think it's bad now? I think it will get worse. 

And I work with people that make me scratch my head just as much as I have made poor decisions at times.  I was one of those CSO''s 15 years ago.

Take care!

Cooter Brown
20 minutes ago, K9_206 said:

I debated on even posting anything on this so I'll be keeping this to the point.  I have met people on other professions who have made decisions and told me things that make me scratch my head.  Cops are no different.

Typically those who take or are dispatched animal calls are community service officers, CSO's.  They are typically fresh out of school or in school for LE and not sworn officers.  They wear uniforms almost identical to ours.  They are inexperienced.

If we are dispatched a call, we have to respond even though at times we know it's BS.  Someone calls about a kid on a putting green, we are paid to go and investigate.  If it turns out to be nothing, it's nothing. If the cop doesn't go and the next morning the green has divots taken out of it, they will be standing tall in front of their boss asking why they didn't go to the call we all know is dumb. 

Final note, the "cream of the crop" in society are no longer applying for jobs in LE with today's climate.  Positions that we used to have hundreds apply for we now might get 40 apply for.  Think it's bad now? I think it will get worse. 

And I work with people that make me scratch my head just as much as I have made poor decisions at times.  I was one of those CSO''s 15 years ago.

Take care!

I've got a couple of police in the family and friends network and they say the same as you.

I have no idea why anyone would go into LE in this environment.

There's a field not far from me (part of a national park) where I've been running dogs for years.  It's the biggest one in the park but it's well hidden.  It used to be that even on weekends you could go there and not run into people.  I haven't been there for 3-4 years but I figured I'd take my puppy and older dog for a morning run.  Things have certainly changed and there are people all over it even during the week.  Last week I got there not long after sunrise and by the time I left there were 3 different people on the place.

I let the older dog open up a bit and he got out of sight on a rise.  I had the Alpha on him and knew where he was--after a bit he stopped.  I figured he was waiting for me and the pup or found something interesting.  I whistled for him and he didn't come, which was odd.  When I topped the hill I was about 100 yards from him and he saw me.  Some woman had him by the collar and he was bouncing around a bit.  She was holding him and was the reason he didn't recall.  This annoyed me so I whistled again, hard--this time he damn near pulled her off her feet and hauled ass to me.

She disappeared and I won't be back to that place.

Greg Hartman
5 hours ago, Irishwhistler said:

Ye just can't fix stupid.

That is the key here.  Lawyers who argue positions for a living have a similar homily - "You can't reason with the unreasonable."  I could tell similar busybody stories, just like most here probably can; and I know how very tempting it is to rip some moronic busybody a verbal new one with plenty of profanity laced into the rant to emphasize the point.  The problem is that you aren't going to change a single thing (see Mike's "can't fix stupid" statement) but what you may well do is reinforce the stereotyped image everyone watching the altercation already has of us (hunters/dogmen/shooters) as dangerous, armed, knuckle-dragging idiots who hate all animal life and ferociously defend their abuse of their own "pets".

Therefore, the better approach (hard as this is when rightfully pissed) might be a very gentle, respectful, well-spoken explanation of the situation to the busybody.  As noted above, you likely won't change her mind about anything, but at least you won't be making us look even worse in the eyes of the general urban/suburban public.  Just a thought.

Dave in Maine

Reminds me of something a dog breeder told me about.  Seems he was out hunting with his foundation dog, a real winner.  Dog didn't return immediately when called in.  Breeder comes into the next terrain compartment, where the dog had gone, to find another hunter (his back to the breeder) levelling down on his dog apparently thinking the dog was running deer or something.  A quiet approach and his conversational tone "You hurt that dog and I'll blow your brains out" ended the threat to the dog.

Unfortunately, one cannot do that with do-gooders intent on "saving" your dog even when the dog is nowhere near in need of "saving".  The do-gooders are usually egged on by "education" from the likes of PETA and HSUS, who know we hunters have dogs in vehicles and would like nothing more than to give us trouble.  For the pols who vote these laws, like the Colorado law discussed above, it's an easy way to look the Good Guy and win some votes.  Sense has nothing to do with it.

Spin

Last week I stopped at a Kwik Trip gas station for a espresso and to buy the boys (Tobie and his litter mate Boodha) a cheese burger. It was 63 F with a moderate breeze and they were in the back of the pickup with both side windows open about a foot wide. I came out and someone had opened the top's tailgate window. I'm just glad the two of them knew to stay in the truck and that no squirrels or bunnies turned up while I was inside.

Jakeismydog2

I had to deal with a similar situation this spring. 70 degrees in the shade. Fortunately a lady working for a lawn crew went over to see what was going on and told 2 College girls to calm down and not break my window. 

Being i was 4 hours from home I am very thankful she kept them from breaking it.