REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Speedgoat44

Got the 'fuzz' called on me today...

mccuha

The miss informed public has no clue. If they only new all the time, money and energy along with the love we have for our hunting dogs   we would not want to ever jeopardize our dogs.  If I didn't use a dog to hunt. I wouldn't have one.  I love my dogs and wouldn't trade them for the world but I don't want one for Just a pet

mhadley

I had the fuzz called on me thursday night. We were returning from a trip and pulled into a hotel with six dogs in a dog topper I've stayed at the place multiple times and typically have no issues. At about 5am I heard a light knock on the door and wasn't sure it was even on my door then a more authoritative knock followed. My immediate thoughts were "well $;&: the dogs are barking". To my surprise there was a LEO standing at the door explaining someone had called in a complaint about dogs being confined. The LEO was nice and understanding, he just asked if we could "get the dogs out and give them some water or something".  It was a non issue as we were about to get up and roll anyways. We never knew who the concerned individual was which is best I think. I appreciate concern over dogs being mistreated but mostly this just left me frustrated about the times we live in. 

settem

Well damn, now there is something else to worry about when you're alone and a thousand miles from home. 

WTF

gaberdeen

And my wife wonders why I'm an anti-social bastard.

mhadley

I forgot to add one reason I was glad the concerned were not around when we aired the dogs is a couple of mine are young (1-2 years old) English pointers. Even when overweight they look malnourished to most people especially "concerned" do gooders and after a couple weeks of hunting they were anything but overweight. 

Larry Brown
19 hours ago, Don Steese said:

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. People who think they're being nice to their dog by buying a crate that's too large!!  The object of a crate is to keep the dog from flying through the air if you should have an accident. A crate that's too large defeats this purpose!!  Even fellow bird hunters, who should know better, do this!!  Given the choice between a crate that's slightly small or one that's slightly large for your dog,  the correct choice is the smaller one!!  

Worse yet, Don:  The people who let their dogs ride on the front seat with them.  Think they're being nicer to the dog.  Let's see . . . do you wear your seat belt, just in case?  Is the  dog wearing one?  Where is he safer:  Sitting on the seat or in his crate? 

One of the things I like about my crate under a pickup topper system:  I don't keep anything worth stealing back there except the dogs.  And they're in a heavy, double aluminum crate, doors padlocked.  So I can leave the rear window open when it's warm.  Interested parties can see that the dogs have water and, assuming they know anything about dogs (which isn't necessarily a good assumption) aren't overheated.

I'm going from memory on this, but my hunting buddies and I used to rent a resort cabin in the UP.  Same resort, dog trainer/breeder from PA was almost always there when we were.  He told us that under PA law, a dog could not be confined in a kennel unless the temperature was between (I think) 50-85.  Which, in most places, would require a kennel building that is both heated and air conditioned.

snapt

Friend of mine drives a Prius and has had the cops called multiple times when she runs into the store with the car on and AC on with the pup inside because people don't understand how hybrids work O.o

kgb

I was ticketed on Fort Meade with my first dog. Had pulled into the exchange parking lot, wound down all 4 windows and determined it would not get too hot. Was a day in the 80s but full cloud cover that felt like rain on the way. I walked right past a standing cop who then began walking the direction from which I'd come. She was standing at the vehicle when I returned, said she was waiting for someone from the (IIRC) veterinarian office because the dog was in the car alone. Oh. I asked how long it would take. She didn't know. Oh. I asked if it was alright with her if I took the dog out of the car. Uh, sure, go ahead. I figured I had a case, or at least an opportunity to argue their procedures so I went to court on my appointed day. Showing up on time was meaningless, and 3 hours later I asked where I could pay my fine--worked shifts and had to get on my way. 

Something I've done a lot in the past but have found is against AKC rules/policy, is tying the dog to the vehicle. Topper lid up, tailgate down, kennel door propped open, water in the bowl, leash secured to bumper or tailgate cable. I can't image driving off with the dog tied to the vehicle but it must have happened more than once in the world. I'd hate it happening to me. 

Flairball

I hate these do-gooder types. They pick their battles carefully, and never choose to actually do anything that will make a difference. I am eagerly waiting for the day some one breaks out the window to save a distressed dog and the dog savagely attacks them protecting it's domain. 

I worry about leaving my dogs in the car, and try not to. If I must do so, it is usually for just a very quick errand; ATM, grab a coffee, etc. What I do if I must is as I exit the car I start the timer on my phone. If ever I'm greeted by anyone upon my return to the car I can check how long I've been away (so far the longest has been 4 minute) and then rip into them. 

henryrski

My wife takes her dog everywhere and leaves him in the car,in the shade and well ventilated. No one has called the law or broken a window to "save" the dog. I keep telling her it is going to happen but she continues. "Angels and fools" I guess.

Chief Paduke

We had Officer Friendly awaken us from our snoring in a motel room at 5 am last week in Menominee, Wi. While he had no concern with hunting dogs in a topper built for hunting dogs, some fair citizen was worried about them and called it in. He was most accommodating and asked that we water them or something to appease the citizen. We had not put the covers on the doors. I don’t know what the complaintant saw,  no water in the boxes over night, or a pointer shivering from excitement of seeing someone, but our conclusion was that when transporting animals, keep them out of sight of prying eyes. 

PS I see that Matt has already addressed our experience. 

Wildcat
On 10/2/2017 at 10:20 AM, Flairball said:

I hate these do-gooder types. They pick their battles carefully, and never choose to actually do anything that will make a difference. I am eagerly waiting for the day some one breaks out the window to save a distressed dog and the dog savagely attacks them protecting it's domain. 

Hey Flair

Saw a video where cop busted a car window to 'rescue' the dog and the dog went after him. He backed away and waited for the owner to arrive :)

Nasty-G

What's a LEO ? 

UplandHntr

Law Enforcement Officer

Brad Eden

We need a sign that hangs in a vehicle window like those "Baby on Board" ones. " I will be back momentarily. My dog may look stressed because you are invading his domain. Mind your own business and go find someone else to hassle." Or something like that..