REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Speedgoat44

Got the 'fuzz' called on me today...

shinbone

I've thought about posting my cell phone number in the car so people can see it.  The Colorado law requires attempting to contact the owner beofre breaking a window, and a cell phone number in clear view may help forestall a forced entry.

Larry Brown
21 hours ago, kgb said:

I was ticketed on Fort Meade with my first dog. Had pulled into the exchange parking lot, wound down all 4 windows and determined it would not get too hot. Was a day in the 80s but full cloud cover that felt like rain on the way. I walked right past a standing cop who then began walking the direction from which I'd come. She was standing at the vehicle when I returned, said she was waiting for someone from the (IIRC) veterinarian office because the dog was in the car alone. Oh. I asked how long it would take. She didn't know. Oh. I asked if it was alright with her if I took the dog out of the car. Uh, sure, go ahead. I figured I had a case, or at least an opportunity to argue their procedures so I went to court on my appointed day. Showing up on time was meaningless, and 3 hours later I asked where I could pay my fine--worked shifts and had to get on my way. 

Military posts often have a lot of rules that seem downright strange, and they're not consistent from post to post.  And MP's--especially younger ones--are usually strictly "by the rules" types.  Ft. Meade . . . I'm thinking it's just the general weirdness of the place, which is a result of all the NSA people working there.

kgb

The NSA workers had their own kind of weird going on, but on reflection no more special than the rest of humanity. Just within restricted areas, if what I learned there was true. To me, the cops on each base or post treated their jobs seriously whether defending troops, aircraft, a tenant agency, no matter.  A dog in a car should be a universally handled issue, I'd hope. 

MAArcher

I never leave the dog alone in the car for fear that I'll come unhinged if someone breaks my window to "save" my dog.

jeff88

Man, I really feel for the police, they are so often in a lose/lose situation with the general public every single day they are out there.  The giveaway to me are the posts in the thread where the LEO is suggesting something like give the dogs water so it looks like the cop did something.  Imagine this - you do your job and if it doesn't look right even to blithering idiots, you run the risk of getting backlash at the station when the idiot calls to say the LEO didn't do anything.  God help us.

BTW, I know these do-gooders about animals, they live in my neighborhood and are dog walking friends of my wife's.  Big-hearted to the point of ridiculous, I often wonder if they like humans nearly as much.  I can easily see at least two of these folks being the ones to call the police.  Meanwhile they spoil dogs incessantly with treats adding much unneeded weight to the animals.  They have no idea how cruel they are toward their pet and its health.  Worst part, the dog won't do anything for them unless a treat is attached!  :o

Bloodhound

I told this story here several years ago in a similar thread but its been awhile.  I am a cop, sorry a Law Enforcement Officer and I worked a Bloodhound and a German Shepherd for a Western Colorado Sheriff's Office.  My patrol rig was one of those 4x4 pick up trucks with the specialty camper shells on the back for the dogs.  Air/Heat all separate controlled for the dogs care and comfort.  I traveled to Denver for a training and I parked the truck under the shade with the auto thermostat set and the Shepherd in the back while I was running a training trail with the Bloodhound.  Someone in the park where we were training (there were 8 or 9 K-9 units/vehicles) got too close to the truck and the Shepherd barked and they called local LEOs and wanted me cited for cruelty.  The cop who responded was cool, but that didn't go over well with the do-gooder and they called the media...that too backfired and the media did a story on our training.  But it could have gone the other way too. 

I had several incidents with animal rights folks and others over my K-9s...in a marked police k-9 unit.   When I was working the street I was the one they sent to these kinds of complaints.  I never broke a window or cited an owner...the pets were always fine...it was the doofus who called in the complaint that was a concern...they were nuts most of the time!

This garbage makes my blood boil too

topdog1961

Department of Defense police are the worst. They're bored and way overestimate their importance. I know of one parkimg lot where they ticketed people who left change in their cupholders and didn't lock their car doors for "creating a theft opportunity." 

Edit: this was supposed to include Larry's post about Military Police. 

Salmo
On 2017-10-02 at 9:42 AM, Larry Brown said:

Worse yet, Don:  The people who let their dogs ride on the front seat with them.  Think they're being nicer to the dog.  Let's see . . . do you wear your seat belt, just in case?  Is the  dog wearing one?  Where is he safer:  Sitting on the seat or in his crate?

My Britt rides up front with me all the time, BUT she has a safety seat belt harness on whenever she's in the wagon. Two snaps and she's in it but can stand up, sit up or lie down without any problem.  

Salmo

Oops, and several more!

Salmo

oops again

Salmo

and again

Salmo

Last one! Please no Newfie jokes.

River19

I'm not all that concerned in the areas we hunt as dogs in trucks and kennels is a way of life for many (lots of rabbit guys etc.).

However......

Outside of hunting season the mutts still are in our lives obviously and therefore they have to travel with us for horse shows etc.  What I won't do is pay $30/dog/night for a kennel if I can avoid it.....heck that is more per night than we pay for motels during shows when you factor in 3 dogs.  What we usually end up doing is getting one dog "paid for" at the hotel and leaving the other two in their crates in the bed of the truck (locked cap) with plenty of air......they sleep like babies.  We have had nights that were warm but they were perfectly fine......not even panting when they calmed down in there.

In this world, I really worry about the do-gooders causing a problem for us.......

There is one show venue where there aren't too many VRBO options as that is our go-to play if the price is right, rent a house that is pet friendly with A/C......leave them in crates in A/C......

I guess we should sell the horse, trailer and tack.  Nancy is going to be pissed when I tell her.  The upside would be after the initial beatings have healed from her reaction, I will be able to afford "next level" shotguns with ease...

gundogpa

My ...."cops called on me" story goes like this. Throwing bumpers into the river.......in the summer. (Summer being the key word here) Lady comes storming up to me. I have one dog at heel and the other comes running up and heels as well. She starts waving her hands, calling me names and demanding I stop making those .....Labrador retrievers.......jump into the cold water. They are shaking! Well yeah they are shaking.....with excitement. 

I wouldn't say my reply was polite but it wasn't what I was really thinking either. She storms off to her car.......out of state flatlander of course. She doesn't leave though. Whatever, I continue to throw bumpers and sure enough a while later here comes an LEO. I heel up the dogs and chat with him. Got a call that someone was abusing dogs. The cop was fine, friendly and understanding it was a bullshit call. I even threw a couple bumpers to show him how tight the dogs were. LOL Finally he says.....well I better go talk to the lady. I see her over there yelling, arms waving at the cop until she finally left. Felt bad for the cop, and that ladies husband I guess.

Some people are impossible.