REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Tom Avent

Hockey is back!

Ben Hong

Hoo boy! What a start to the season. Goals, goals and more goals. Two games in, one can almost predict the tone of this season...offence! 

Some observations: Ovechkin has frikkin eyes on the back of his head. I love the quality of the very young players,  Mete, Sergachev, Marner, McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, et al. Speed kills! After watching Florida dominate Tampa, I believe that there will be some excellent bad blood between the two teams. When was the last time we saw Price let in 3 goals on 4 shots, even if they are by Ovechkin? Toronto scored 15 goals in 2 games!

dogrunner
On 10/6/2017 at 1:02 PM, Dogwood said:

Red Wings opened their season with a 4-2 over the Wild at their brand new Little Ceasars Arena (puke name, should have been Olympia II).  They have a decent young squad but lack a marquee defensemen.  And a power play.  And a big right hand shot forward.  And a premier goal scorer. And one more solid center.

They have very few that can skate decent and score goals. Same thing for the last couple years. They need a new GM.  

Dogwood

Mike Babcock, the prickliest NHL coach, working his magic with the Leafs.  A near clone of Scotty Bowman.

Dogwood
1 minute ago, dogrunner said:

They have very few that can skate decent and score goals. Same thing for the last couple years. They need a new GM.  

Yep.  And a whole new scouting team to boot.  Possibly even new ownership as for Chris Illitch it's all about the revenue stream.

jeff88
On 10/7/2017 at 9:27 AM, Tom Avent said:

However, it is ALWAYS a pleasure to watch the Pens flounder and their fans squirm :)

We 'Burghers love being the least favorite teams among fans from other cities.   Every NHL team this year will be marking their calendars for PGH just as they've done for decades with the Steelers.  Wish the Pirates played well enough over the years to be feared.  Glad the Pens stood up last night against Nashville.   

Tom Avent

Ovi is on pace for 287 goals this year :D 

Dogwood

Truly remarkable that Crosby plays at all let alone such a high level given his history of head trauma.  5 years or so ago I figured his days were numbered.

Geez I wish the league would experiment (preseason) with eliminating icing by the short-handed PP team!.  Would make for some very intense exciting play rather than the utter boredom of pucks swept down the ice.  Snore.

I'm sure this is not a new notion; what gives?

Big Al

I really like the heightened enforcement of the slashing rule.  If a forward gets a step on a defender there's not much the defender can do to impede him.  Thus faster hockey and more goals.

Of course being the NHL they'll probably resort back to the way it was.

Two changes that I would like are, a defender can't get prone on the ice to block a shot and get rid of the freaking loser point.  

jeff88
3 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Truly remarkable that Crosby plays at all let alone such a high level given his history of head trauma.  5 years or so ago I figured his days were numbered.

Geez I wish the league would experiment (preseason) with eliminating icing by the short-handed PP team!.  Would make for some very intense exciting play rather than the utter boredom of pucks swept down the ice.  Snore.

Have heard talk about getting rid of icing by the short-handed team on the PP - it would make the penalty much more costly to take.  That in turn might make the refs make calls fewer and further between - we all know the NHL refs don't want to be seen as influencing the game's outcomes which to me, make them that much more guilty of influencing outcomes with non-calls.  :/

Would also like to see the refs give box time to players who insist on giving face washes to unprotected opponents - how is that not roughing?

jeff88
17 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

Ovi is on pace for 287 goals this year :D 

Am getting a strong vibe from DC that Ovi is a bit PO'd about the Caps playoffs outcome and his perceived inability to make things happen. No one outside of DC wants to see an Ovi with a chip on his shoulder the size of a railroad tie.  What a start!

Clueless1
5 hours ago, Dogwood said:

I thought the same thing with Crosby.

Clueless1
On 10/7/2017 at 6:54 AM, Tom Avent said:

That is why(I HATE saying this), what the Pens did last year is so amazing. Of all professional sports, winning back to back Cups has to be the most difficult.

Believe me, I've watched the Pens crush my hopes too many times to ever count them out, especially so early.

The third will be even more amazing yet!!  :D

sneem

There is a new rule this year I don't think I like. Its the one that says if you challenge whether a play was offside and it is not overturned, you get a two minute delay of game penalty. The rationale was too many coaches were challenging whether a play was offside after the rush resulted in a goal hoping to get the goal taken off the board. So? You get challenges to use as you see fit. Why penalize a team for using a legal challenge?

In the Leafs-Rangers game the other night a Leafs player skated backwards over the blue line as the puck hit him in the chest and bounced around. The linesman was standing at the boards straddling the blue line and his vision was blocked by the player. No way he could see the puck, yet he called it on side. Leafs went on to score a goal on that play taking a 6-5 lead. The play was clearly worth a challenge. The decision said the call stands, meaning they couldn't tell either. But because the very legitimate challenge was not overturned, the Rangers got a bench minor and the leafs scored another power play goal. Turning a 5-5 game into a 7-5 game. This makes no sense to me.

jeff88

Pens/Caps tomorrow night, then Pens @ Lighting TH night.  Who made up this schedule?  Silver lining is that it's October.  Hope Murray is wearing his flack jacket, there will be much pent up anger from the past two seasons directed at PGH.  

Clueless1

19 back to backs too.  They should have invested in a better backup goalie.