Tom Avent

Hockey is back!

Big Al
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Hope Murray is wearing his flack jacket, there will be much pent up anger from the past two seasons directed at PGH.  

And not just from the Caps.  Go Bolts.

jeff88
2 minutes ago, Big Al said:

And not just from the Caps.  Go Bolts.

Oh, I definitely included the Bolts since they were Stamko-less two years ago.  Pens have rolled up a lot of teams of late, many enemies made in the East.  Pens are wearing massive targets this year.

Dogwood
19 hours ago, sneem said:

There is a new rule this year I don't think I like. Its the one that says if you challenge whether a play was offside and it is not overturned, you get a two minute delay of game penalty. The rationale was too many coaches were challenging whether a play was offside after the rush resulted in a goal hoping to get the goal taken off the board. So? You get challenges to use as you see fit. Why penalize a team for using a legal challenge?

In the Leafs-Rangers game the other night a Leafs player skated backwards over the blue line as the puck hit him in the chest and bounced around. The linesman was standing at the boards straddling the blue line and his vision was blocked by the player. No way he could see the puck, yet he called it on side. Leafs went on to score a goal on that play taking a 6-5 lead. The play was clearly worth a challenge. The decision said the call stands, meaning they couldn't tell either. But because the very legitimate challenge was not overturned, the Rangers got a bench minor and the leafs scored another power play goal. Turning a 5-5 game into a 7-5 game. This makes no sense to me.

Ben Hong

My beloved Habs will go on a scoring tear for the rest of the season and score 75 more goals. Yay Habs! F*cking useless millionaires!

jeff88
9 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

My beloved Habs will go on a scoring tear for the rest of the season and score 75 more goals. Yay Habs! F*cking useless millionaires!

How's Drouin doin?  Sorry Ben, I could not resist!  Mistakenly watched some of the Habs/Hawks hair pull last night hoping the Habs could put a stop to the Saad story.  But no, it's still Saad.  

Wet Dog

Vegas had their home opener last night and put up a 4-0 early lead and won 5-2.  The placed was packed and the crowd was fired up.  Nice to see a new franchise get off on the right foot.

paul frey

I'm a Rangers fan.  Have been since the 70's.  My opinion is they kept the wrong goalie.  I think Lundquist is finished. But we'll see.  Let's go Rangers!!

Tom Avent

The world is not imploding after all...........things are in place. Did anyone else see the Caps v Pens last night. Of course, that EVIL dirty SOB Sid hit Holtby IN THE HEAD behind the crease.

I'm a diehard Caps fan and I will admit, Holtby should be headed to Hollywood. What an acting job.....can't say I blame him. Pretty funny stuff. Glad to see all is normal between these 2 teams.

Despite winning the first 2 and pulling a point out of Tampa AND Ovi being otherworldly, the Caps are a penalty machine and are pretty much what you would expect after losing so much talent. Going to be a long season.  

jeff88

C'mon Tom.  Caps were hoisted by their own retard. How many slashing penalties?  Did no one tell them they are going to call that this year every time it's seen by a ref no matter how insignificant?  I'm glad they are at least calling something.  Also glad that this year the likes of the Caps and others are not going to take cheap shots on the Pens and skate away.  Reaves is waiting on the 4th line to police the thugs - since the refs won't stop the cheap shots the Pens have put up with for years, the Pens will.  Too bad it had to come to that.  The refs swallowed their whistles even when it was right in front of their eyes.  At least Reaves is a true 4th liner, not just a cement head, he has the skills too match his ability to knock the crap out of someone with both the fore check or his fists.

The game:  From where I sit, the Pens went to the front of the net a lot more than the Caps did.  Everything else seemed even, both teams are going to be a handful this year.  

Then there's evil, dirty SOB Sid who literally ran into an Oscar winning diver, yet you don't mention the Cap who ran over Murray IN THE CREASE all by his own self -- and the Cap was not touched by a Pen.  And there was no call, of course, it wasn't a slash, the only thing the refs will call this year.  

One item you mention that I entirely agree with, you are a Caps fan!  B|

Clueless1

Word on the street has it that by middle of third with a lead Reaves will be on Sid's line.

jeff88
2 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Word on the street has it that by middle of third with a lead Reaves will be on Sid's line.

Looks like that's what they did on Saturday night with the Preds.  Reaves was "suddenly" promoted after both Eckhorn and Subban cheap shot Sid.  He pounded the crap put of a Pred twice, seemed to cool their @$$es* after beat down #2.  At least Eckhorn didn't hide behind the ref and punch the Evil SOB Sid** like Subban did.  It was a "no look punch" in that Sid was not looking at all at him.  Not the same as the "no look pass" that 87 dished across ice about 60' right onto Matta's stick for his long range upper corner goal vs.Nashville.  Should we now consider Subban to be a sniper?  He tried it on Malkin in the cup series when 71 was entangled with another player, 71 tossed the Pred aside and punched Subban right back.  You'd think he'd learn.  

*  PGH fans know that phrase very well - uttered by Jack Lambert in a crucial Steelers win.

** ESS for short.  

Tom Avent
3 hours ago, jeff88 said:

C'mon Tom.  Caps were hoisted by their own retard. How many slashing penalties?  Did no one tell them they are going to call that this year every time it's seen by a ref no matter how insignificant?  I'm glad they are at least calling something.  Also glad that this year the likes of the Caps and others are not going to take cheap shots on the Pens and skate away.  Reaves is waiting on the 4th line to police the thugs - since the refs won't stop the cheap shots the Pens have put up with for years, the Pens will.  Too bad it had to come to that.  The refs swallowed their whistles even when it was right in front of their eyes.  At least Reaves is a true 4th liner, not just a cement head, he has the skills too match his ability to knock the crap out of someone with both the fore check or his fists.

The game:  From where I sit, the Pens went to the front of the net a lot more than the Caps did.  Everything else seemed even, both teams are going to be a handful this year.  

Then there's evil, dirty SOB Sid who literally ran into an Oscar winning diver, yet you don't mention the Cap who ran over Murray IN THE CREASE all by his own self -- and the Cap was not touched by a Pen.  And there was no call, of course, it wasn't a slash, the only thing the refs will call this year.  

One item you mention that I entirely agree with, you are a Caps fan!  B|

Jeff, you misread my post. I was giving Holtby a hard time. I think Sid was trying to skate as close to the wall as possible and had no intention of hitting Holtby's head. Holtby definitely embellished the event....ergo....no call.

However, I will take you to task about saying the Pens have been living with cheap shots for years. Come on.......it's hockey. IMHO, the Pens give as good as they receive.

jeff88
1 hour ago, Tom Avent said:

Jeff, you misread my post. I was giving Holtby a hard time. I think Sid was trying to skate as close to the wall as possible and had no intention of hitting Holtby's head. Holtby definitely embellished the event....ergo....no call.

However, I will take you to task about saying the Pens have been living with cheap shots for years. Come on.......it's hockey. IMHO, the Pens give as good as they receive.

Tom was not sure about your post concerning Holtby but since all I read in here is $#!+ about 87, I decided to take you at your word.  You did decide to write Evil SOB Sid.  As for the Pens giving it versus taking it, not even close.  Not by a mile.  Not how the Pens are built.  Pens of the past three years are built for speed and skill and every series they endured in the past two cup runs, they have been badly on the receiving end of cheap shots.  Seems their opponents have found the way to slow them down is to take shots at their heads and that no one on the Pens would be able to retaliate in kind.  Ovie and Nisky demonstrated that in spades in the same play to knock 87 out for a game and a half in their last series.  Orpik the year before on Matta, allegedly his old pal.  Nope, no one in PGH is buying that it's even close and I am certainly not buying it either.  Very happy to see Reaves on-board since the refs have decided that roughing is not a call they will ever make.  Yeah, they are calling slashing, a good start, but until the refs start calling the game according the rules, the Pens will need a policeman on the bench.  Last night we didn't see Wilson up to his old tricks, did we?  

Tom Avent

My post about last night referring to Sid as  Evil dirty SOB was completely tongue in cheek because Holtby did such a crappy job of selling the dive. I was trying to be funny and self deprecating. If you read the rest of the post it was not complimentary in tone of the Caps. 

I have always respected the Pens, Crosby, and the whole organization. They are a rival, especially considering the history with the Caps. You can go back to EVERY post I have ever written about hockey here and you will never find any thing written with true ill will or malicious intent. 

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way. You may want to read it again though.

jeff88

Tom, no apologies necessary, but believe I did not misread your post.  As I wrote, I was not certain about it.  It left room for doubt that here comes the 17 millionth time someone is cheap-shotting Crosby whether on the ice, in a post or in the media.   Look at every hockey thread, there are a ton of shots at 87 made up mostly by people whom if 87 played for their team, they'd be very, very happy and his biggest fans.  Last spring was rife with such posts.  Me?  I'll be glad to continue to read them knowing the Pens are doing fine; as more anti-87 bombs drop, the better PGH does.   On to Tampa!   Hope those poor flightless birds have a little energy left over from last night.  That was a seriously tight, high energy game.