Jump to content

Hockey is back!


Recommended Posts

On 11/15/2017 at 7:51 AM, Tom Avent said:

Ok.......I'm going to call it before we get out of November. St. Louis and Nashville in the West. Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh(because no matter how shitty these guys look, they always seem to be able to pull it together). Done. Nothing else to see.

 

At least now my heart can break instead of another GD game 7 round 2 loss.

I believe that it will be the Bolts and Toronto in the east...because of the firepower. Now I have got to  do penance for typing such a thing. Yeccchhh...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • jeff88

    54

  • Big Al

    49

  • Ben Hong

    40

  • Tom Avent

    15

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rules of the board: No politics, religion or bragging about the Penguins.

I don't hate the Pens because they are relevant.   I hated them even when there was talk of them moving from Pittsburgh because attendance was not good and they needed a new arena.  Then the NHL went

Yes, I know the baseball play-offs are in full swing, and the NFL(if anyone is still watching), and NCAA football is pretty compelling this year. However, it sure was good to the ice sheet.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ben Hong said:

 

On 11/15/2017 at 6:51 AM, Tom Avent said:

Ok.......I'm going to call it before we get out of November. St. Louis and Nashville in the West. Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh(because no matter how shitty these guys look, they always seem to be able to pull it together). Done. Nothing else to see.

 

At least now my heart can break instead of another GD game 7 round 2 loss.

I believe that it will be the Bolts and Toronto in the east...because of the firepower. Now I have got to  do penance for typing such a thing. Yeccchhh

 

Ben, I would like to see Toronto instead of the Pens, but I have learned the hard and painful way not to ever discount that organization.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pens over the Bolts in 4

Hawks over the Oilers in 7

Pens over the Hawks in 4

 

87 holding the Con Smythe, then THE CUP comes out.....

 

.....Buuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 

Damn alarm but what a dream!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Pens beat the Bolts in the 'Burgh - did not see that one coming especially after the poor showing in Boston on Friday.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Pens beat the Bolts in the 'Burgh - did not see that one coming especially after the poor showing in Boston on Friday.  

Blame it on the Turkey!

All 23 of them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Pens beat the Bolts in the 'Burgh - did not see that one coming especially after the poor showing in Boston on Friday.  

The Pens back up was great. The Lightning's not so much.

I think Budaj has started five games and has lost four of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Big Al said:

The Pens back up was great. The Lightning's not so much.

I think Budaj has started five games and has lost four of them.

Al, backups are key.  No cup in PGH last season w/o Fleury when Murray went down.  Pens miss Fleury, Murray's back-ups this year have been really bad.  Was sorry that Niemi was terrible, seemed like a good fit for PGH when they picked him up.  Jarry did look solid Saturday night.  Hope it's the start of a trend.

 

Has anyone outside of PGH noticed the Pens schedule this year?  They have more than double back-to-back games than any other team.  Those 2nd games have been murderous.  With many new players due to free agents leaving and this schedule plus the exhaustion of two straight cup runs believe I should be thankful they hover near 500, at least at this point.  Last spring I read a note or two about the Pens getting treated unfairly well, this is clear evidence that the league is not favoring them.  If anything, it seems like punishment for success.  How NHL-like!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jeff88 said:

Has anyone outside of PGH noticed the Pens schedule this year?  They have more than double back-to-back games than any other team.  Those 2nd games have been murderous.  With many new players due to free agents leaving and this schedule plus the exhaustion of two straight cup runs believe I should be thankful they hover near 500, at least at this point.  Last spring I read a note or two about the Pens getting treated unfairly well, this is clear evidence that the league is not favoring them.  If anything, it seems like punishment for success.  How NHL-like!  

Jeff, good stat, but let's don't get all whiny(LOL) without looking at the other side of the coin. Which team has the fewest travel miles in the NHL this year...........ding, ding, ding......Pittsburgh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tom Avent said:

Jeff, good stat, but let's don't get all whiny(LOL) without looking at the other side of the coin. Which team has the fewest travel miles in the NHL this year...........ding, ding, ding......Pittsburgh.

D@MN I hate facts!  9_9

 

OK, tell you what, I'll trade more miles for less back-to-backs, would take the league average in both categories in a minute.  On the other hand, maybe this is good for PGH, sort of like in "A Boy Named Sue" kind of way.  Make them tougher and grittier if they make the play-offs.  Right now they look like #9 or #10 in the East.  We won't know anything until about March when injuries have taken their toll on teams.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's WAY to early to make play-off predictions, especially for the "Never say die" Pens.Yes, back to backs are killers. Sometimes long road trips tend to bring a team together.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pens came very close to losing to the Flyers in the 'Burgh last night.  Hard to watch.  (Meanwhile, them Stillerz tried mightily to lose to a Rogers-less Packers team on Sunday night!)  While I'll never feel anything but abhorrence for Philly's hockey club, it was really tough to see the pipes make many saves for the Pen's goalies.  They are 0-8 right now for a reason, they couldn't take advantage of a Pens team in serious disarray.  Pens rung the bell a lot too.  Murray is hurt, losing him while the team is hovering near 500 is not great.  Hope it's not for a long time.  When is Malkin coming back?  

 

OK Tom, am whining here, I'll stop now.  B|

Link to post
Share on other sites

Coulda reached through the TV to strangle Bob Errey when he asked who was going to score the winner when it was 3-3. And Philly scored! Was a nailbiter going forward from then.  

 

One of the funniest things I saw back when Jagr played for us was in Philly as they played "dude looks like a lady" and put Jagr and his mullet on the arena screen. Had to admit it was hilarious. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The rumours of the demise of the Habs are a bit premature I guess. With a healed Carey Price back in form he let in 6 goals.....in 5 games. His teammates scored 24 on their opponents in that span, including a 6-3 and 10-1 thumpings of Detroit! Schizoid team!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

The rumours of the demise of the Habs are a bit premature I guess. With a healed Carey Price back in form he let in 6 goals.....in 5 games. His teammates scored 24 on their opponents in that span, including a 6-3 and 10-1 thumpings of Detroit! Schizoid team!

Like Tom writes, very early in the season.  Good to see another Eastern team on the rise.  Someone has to help take the starch out of them Lightnings.  There could be 12 teams withing 4 points of each other at mid-season in the East.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...