Are you a Fueler or a Foody?

First off, I like good food, fine restaurants etc., and have the belly to prove it. But my life doesn't revolve around food and eating.

My wife is a Foody...and is is always on some new elaborate diet. They usually require all sorts of exotic ingredients resulting in our kitchen constantly smelling like cooked onions, and curry and sweet potatoes, and piled with dishes and cookware and food processors and blenders from breakfasts through dinners. (We don't have a dishwasher other than me). Seems like a big production all the time.

I'm a Fueler...I have no appetite in the morning, and eat a banana just to have something in my stomach. My wife cooks up some sort of omelet or yogurt concoction. Lunch for me is typically a hotdog on a slice of bread with yellow mustard and a handful of potato chips. Tastes good, but is a means to getting back to whatever I am doing or plan to do. Dinners are more elaborate, and although I prefer basics like spagetti and meatballs, meatloaf or some wild game meal, I do enjoy some of JoAnns concoctions. She says she is a foody because she is 100% portugese, who seem to be food obsessed, and her family is always talking about the next meal while they are shoveling in the current meal.

Are you a "Fueler" who generally eats whatever is around to get through the day, or a "Foody" who looks forward to every meal, and cooking and planning the next meal all the time?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Brad Eden

• Virgil Kane

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I have to eat to function, I might as well eat well, and good. All through our 45 years of marriage I have done 95% of the supper cooking because it pains me to watch my wife cook from a recipe and

lots of labs married to poodles on this site   I am pretty much always hungry, like a great white shark I cruise thru the day looking for my next victim, my only complaint with foodies is th

Obviously not from the home of Heinz!  Is there even a hot dog in there? 

Live to eat? Or Eat to live?

i can do either. I enjoy high end dinners/drinks and junk/pub fare. 

But I expect it to be good and well prepared for what it is. Some people can eat anything and not care. 

Some greasy spoons are great and some serve slop. I will seek out those who put some effort into the meal whether it’s meatloaf or a tasting menu. 

Pretty much a fueler here.  Except I admittedly do tend to get a bit carried away with fussing over fish and game vittles, on quantity if not complexity.  Currently cogitating over whether to run a 30# batch of goose sage breakfast sausage another pass through the grinder for a bit less "tooth", and my batches of hog chili tend to run toward the gargantuan size range.

Definitely a fueler most of the time however if I get railroaded into something fancy then I expect it to be better than normal fare.  I can remember some bodacious  game dinners  and some pretty good hunter breakfast's.

I think this became really apparent to me since we have been up to our semi-remote camp a few times recently. I dont even think about food, just bring some coffee, water and throw whatever junk food is on the counter in a bag. And stop for a large sub at subway which will feed me for a couple days. JoAnn not so much, it's a huge deal and she wants to cook stuff which means more food to bring, a constant fire, the hassle of heating water and getting water from a well down the road to wash dishes etc. NO NEED!

I'm a fueler.  Will eat anything but never have a taste for something specific, anything eatable works when I'm hungry.  Drives my wife crazy because she's a foody and will drive 90 miles for something if she has a taste for it.

She thinks there's something wrong with me and I the same about her. She never eats leftovers and I can eat the same meal breakfast lunch and dinner all week long and never give it a second thought.

Virgil

Brad, glad to hear you don't put ketchup on your hotdogs, that's sacrilegious. 

Before she got sick, my wife was a serious foodie - watched cooking shows and often spent the day in the kitchen.  Sadly for her, it was pearls before swine.

I've never been any kind of foodie.  Don't much care what I eat as long as it's not horrible.  Left to my own devices, I'll suck down a frozen TV dinner rather than go to any trouble at all in the kitchen.  Never even made a hot dog or had any desire to do so before I became the involuntary sole cook, grocery shopper and bottlewasher overnight.  Now, my wife expects me to do some cooking and micro-manages me while I am doing it - I truly hate it.

My downfall is not so much fancy food - it is that I tend to eat when upset or bored, both of which happen a lot due to my nursemaid gig.

Foody, but love to cook. Evening meals. 

Morning is either a pop tart or white donuts - or a 2 egg omelette.

Lunch PBJ.

Dinner can be quick and easy, or fancy. Depends. I love a slow cooker at home and wherever I have electricity.  Nice having 75% of a good hearty meal ready after a long day chasing game. Especially when cold. 

Fueler....don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good meal.  I wish someone would invent a "kibble" like dog food for humans that is calorie controlled, hi protein, vitamin content, etc..  Then I could just snack with this for breakfast and lunch (maybe even dinner).   I would think there would be a market for this?

Foods, and not too pick either. Hell, anyone who's seen me can tell you that. 

I'm a fueler  I look at food as a substance to survive with. Can eat a sandwich 7 days a week lunch and supper.   When I go hunting I will take a granola bar and a couple packs of crackers and that's breakfast and supper. I can really go all day on nothing and have a supper. My wife is the opposite. Can't stand sandwiches or left overs more than one time and has to have that special meal every day. 

I took a friend out of state last year quail hunting. If I'm in game. Food is the last thing on my mind.  We were working back around to truck when my dogs pointed a covey. Shot that covey and watched exactly where singles went. As we picked up shot birds and was heading toward singles pointed another covey. Shot and watched those singles. Had a lot of singles pinned from the 2 covies  all he could think about and say that he was starving and needed to eat.  Had to stop by truck and let him eat.  Singles were gone by the time we got there.  He want be going this year. All he thought about was eating.  

lots of labs married to poodles on this site

I am pretty much always hungry, like a great white shark I cruise thru the day looking for my next victim, my only complaint with foodies is they always seem to criticize the quantity I consume

if it’s tasty all the better, but if is just so so i’ll still eat a lot of it

Pretty much a fueler. I do enjoy fine foods and make my living selling seafood. My breakfast is the same everyday with lunch and supper being variable. I often take leftovers so sometimes there is duplicity. This last week we got our kitchen open at our shop and I've been on a grilled salmon kick, 5 day in a row. Pretty tasty too. My downfall is sweets of most any kind.