Are you a Fueler or a Foody?

Foody. I also do the cooking if I'm home. Eat breakfast everyday. Mostly omelettes with a shot of grapefruit juice. Deer camp is coming up in 3 weeks and that tends to be pretty hard on the waistline. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Brad Eden

• Virgil Kane

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I have to eat to function, I might as well eat well, and good. All through our 45 years of marriage I have done 95% of the supper cooking because it pains me to watch my wife cook from a recipe and

lots of labs married to poodles on this site   I am pretty much always hungry, like a great white shark I cruise thru the day looking for my next victim, my only complaint with foodies is th

Obviously not from the home of Heinz!  Is there even a hot dog in there? 

Fueler, there isn't much I wont eat and I love good southern cooking. simple but good. I could take three meals I like, rotate them, and eat them every day with no complaint.

apachecadillac

Labs married to poodles.  I like that.

I eat to live, don't live to eat.  Had the importance of starting the day with a decent breakfast pounded into me, sometimes (like today) don't get around to lunch and just graze.  Wife has always insisted on a sit down meal at dinner.

To her credit, I'll add, and when the kids were coming along the importance of  that evening meal to check homework, talk about sports teams, etc., problems/successes in school, sports, scouts, just generally report in and talk about stuff, was even more important than the food.  A neighbor commented in 1991 that all it took to get our family to eat supper off trays in front of the TV was a war (First Gulf War).

Bert in W N.C.

I am a fueler. Breakfast is paramount. The usual is some kind of cereal with nutritional yeast, yogurt and chocolate silk. Boom, I am off to the races. I don't like to linger over a meal. I try to eat healthy food with a decent calorie count. Fuel up and off to other things. My wife doesn't always agree. At around 50 everyone said I should go to a cardiologist. I asked why. Their question to me was, "have you ever been"? Well, I hadn't so I went. Everything checked out fine, as I thought and hoped, but the Doc gave me some of the best and simplest advice I have ever received. " more plants, less meat, more miles." I try to follow that advice. Pretty much eat as much as I want, just careful as to what it is.

7 hours ago, WhatsDaPoint said:

Live to eat? Or Eat to live?

i can do either. I enjoy high end dinners/drinks and junk/pub fare. 

But I expect it to be good and well prepared for what it is. Some people can eat anything and not care. 

Some greasy spoons are great and some serve slop. I will seek out those who put some effort into the meal whether it’s meatloaf or a tasting menu. 

I'm very much a food person. I love to cook, experiment with food, try new things, etc. Rarely what's typically thought of as fancy though. 

I enjoy a wide variety of things, but I expect them to be prepared well, and preferably with some creativity. I will rarely eat unless it's something that's truly appetizing at the time. 

Even most of my camp cooking is apparently elaborate to many people. I've cooked more involved meals on a tailgate than it seems many of you make in kitchens. Lol

Food is essential to life, you might as well enjoy it. 

I once brought a leg of lamb, which i cooked in a pit oven on the beach, accompanied by a nice Bordeaux, on a back country, multi-day fishing trip. 

That probably answers the question.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good bologna sandwhich on white bread, but given the time/availability, I'll make a prosciutto/bocconcini sandwich with  basil, drizzled with balsamic and olive oil, on a nice ciabatta bun anytime. 

Oh yeah. I'm a beer snob too. Though I'll never turn down a cold, free one.

IsThisHeaven?

I am a fueler. During the week I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch all week. Last weekend I pheasant hunted in Minnesota. I survived on granola bars and cashews. Taking the time to cook a meal on the tailgate or drive to town to eat at a restaurant was time I was not willing to give up.

I do a lot of barbecuing. I really enjoy smoking ribs, pork shoulder, etc. Barbecuing can be a foody endeavor, but it can be very basic as well. I prefer the basic option and let the quality cut of meat and the smoke do the work.

Im going to say Fueler but more because  Ilook at it as fuel at 55 I've started to pay more attention to the fuel i  put in the tank my joints are deteriorating so I try to stay away from what makes the inflammation worse and try to eat as clean as possible but still enjoying my food. My son is more fitness obsessed so that fits in with how I cook, more or less a simple Paleo diet I'm not a fad person I just find I feel better and have more energy when I do. It can be time consuming to dehydrate, or make a juice and its more expensive but I find its worth it for me.

Fueler for breakfast (oatmeal or shredded wheat) and lunch (canned fish, leftovers, veggies, fruit).  Foodie for dinner as both my wife and I like to cook.  My favorite recipes are those that emphasize the fewest and freshest ingredients yielding spectacular results. Nothing wrong with exotic ingredients 50+ long but I've yet to find them worth the trouble given the results.   I also enjoy modifying/improvising on recipes; made a simple pot roast yesterday whereby the recipe called for 3/4 cup tomato paste. Yikes I want pot roast not tomato soup with beef!  Used 2 tbsp instead and it was great.

My favorite recipe sources are the NY Times (neat feature online where you can store the recipes you like or might) and mostly Jacque Pepin's cookbook series "Fast Food My Way".  Have adapted many of his recipes to game BTW.  The very best French cooking ,IMO, is rustic and revolves around sound technique, and the very best simple ingredients.

However . . . a REALLY good hot dog in natural casing on a butter toasted bun with kettle chips on the side and a cold pilsner is to be savored!  Par-boiled and roasted spare ribs over sauerkraut with simple boiled potatoes.  My grandmother's borscht recipe made with smoked ham hocks, matchstick beets, and a touch of sour cream and vinegar.  Oh boy . . . ..   Don't for get grilled beer can chicken.  Quite possibly the best roast chicken known to man.

I like to cook and honestly Im darn good at it. I like trying new things but hate recipes. I do 90% of the cooking at home. My wife just isntvthat good at it. She grew up in a house where dinner was always from a recipe out of the back of Good Housekeeping and included cream of celery, mushroom or chicken soup. Drives me crazy. Even at our place in N WI I just prefer to do most of the cooking. I had a foodservice backround in my younger years and am still in the food business so Im always seeing new ideas. 

My wife- pressed chicken roll on squishy white bread. Good grief

8 hours ago, CptSydor said:

Oh yeah. I'm a beer snob too. Though I'll never turn down a cold, free one.

I'm picky about the beer I'll buy, but I won't turn down a free one. 

What strikes me funny, at least to this point, none of the hard core Catskills event folks have chimed in! Those are some hard core foodies! Some start prepping a month in advance. They have opinions on pigs, potatoes and pimentos. I love it, there’s nothing better than food prepared by folks who love to prepare food.

If you are a foodie, talk to the Cat and come on down to the Catskills this summer.  Brad, send Joanne down, she’ll have a time!

I told JoAnn about this Topic. She has a good sense of humor and a solid self esteem...when I told her the majority of respondees are Fuelers, she said "Well, tell your Members that's why men don't live as long as women." Apparently she thinks most women are Foodys, like her.

I will never be confused as a foody.  In fact there are many days that I just plain forget to eat until I begin to get lightheaded.  I have often referred to myself as a 'food camel'.  If I'm busy I don't stop to eat.   

Seems like a lab and a poodle here in our marriage.  That means I'm not cooking it though as I'm still searching for my talents in life but the wife and I have figured out that cooking ain't one of them.  I have and do enjoy a good meal, it's just that if my wife doesn't make me I don't stop to enjoy it.

My wife can enjoy 5 bites of a great entree and be satisfied.  Not me.  I've got to eat enough to get me through until I remember to eat again.  

11 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I told JoAnn about this Topic. She has a good sense of humor and a solid self esteem...when I told her the majority of respondees are Fuelers, she said "Well, tell your Members that's why men don't live as long as women." Apparently she thinks most women are Foodys, like her.

I have a wife, four daughters, a mom, three sisters, and  seven adult nieces every single one of them is a foody

my dad,brothers,son, husbands of nieces and I will eat with gusto anything put in front of us from junk food to the best “foody” food

JoAnn knows what she’s talking about