Are you a Fueler or a Foody?

Biologically speaking, it is quite common for females of any given species to be more selective and diverse in their eating habits than are males of the same species.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Brad Eden

• Virgil Kane

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I have to eat to function, I might as well eat well, and good. All through our 45 years of marriage I have done 95% of the supper cooking because it pains me to watch my wife cook from a recipe and

lots of labs married to poodles on this site   I am pretty much always hungry, like a great white shark I cruise thru the day looking for my next victim, my only complaint with foodies is th

Obviously not from the home of Heinz!  Is there even a hot dog in there? 

I don't know what you would call me...a pig maybe.  I just love to eat, but it doesn't need to be fancy. I'm also cheap, so simple, inexpensive, filling and tasty food fits the bill. You guessed it, I'm from the south. My parents grew up in big poor Appalachian families during the depression. Ingredients were home grown, simple and calorie dense (lard and bacon fat were common additions). What I would give for some of mom's Treat "Meat" stew, fried cabbage (in bacon fat), cornbread, biscuits, pork chop gravy with red eye on the side, white half runner green beans, fried chicken...you get the idea. You could also guess that I had a heart attack at age 46. Fortunately for my heart my wife can't cook like that (don't tell her I said so) but it's still simple, filling fare. 

22 hours ago, Lars said:

I'm a Foody but I don't do any cooking as that's where Janet excels. I leave it to the professionals. 

+1  (My Pro is a Jean)

We're fueler/foodies, the best of both worlds!

21 hours ago, Virgil Kane said:

Virgil

Brad, glad to hear you don't put ketchup on your hotdogs, that's sacrilegious. 

Wait, what???!!!

It definitely seems like she's right.

I learned to cook because my mom hated to, and was therefore not good at it. Dad worked on the road a good bit, so it was self preservation. 

Since I wasn't taught to cook, I had to experiment to learn to make anything that tasted good. I fell in love with the process, and an almost incapable of following a recipe. 

My wife is a very good cook, but not inventive. She's not great at cooking meat though, because she doesn't eat much of it. So watching the texture of it and such is hard. 

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I told JoAnn about this Topic. She has a good sense of humor and a solid self esteem...when I told her the majority of respondees are Fuelers, she said "Well, tell your Members that's why men don't live as long as women." Apparently she thinks most women are Foodys, like her.

56 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Wait, what???!!!

Yep, sacrilegious. :D

Hotdog on a poppy seed bun, kosher all beef dog,  green sweet relish, lettuce, tomato, kosher pickle spear, sports peppers, celery salt and mustard.  The only right way to eat a hotdog.

There are places around here that wouldn't serve you if you ask for ketchup on a hotdog. o.O

Hot Dog

Virgil

1 hour ago, Virgil Kane said:

Hotdog on a poppy seed bun, kosher all beef dog,  green sweet relish, lettuce, tomato, kosher pickle spear, sports peppers, celery salt and mustard.  The only right way to eat a hotdog.

There are places around here that wouldn't serve you if you ask for ketchup on a hotdog. o.O

Hot Dog

Virgil

Obviously not from the home of Heinz!  Is there even a hot dog in there? 

6 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Hot Dog

Virgil

It does look like a great dog, but I do notice tomato on it.  If you didn't have a tomato, then what?  Tomato ketchup not replacement even if a lesser one?  Am all in for mustard and relish, for sure, and firmly believe they are table steaks.  OK, that was a bad attempt at a pun, sorry.  While I'm not a big ketchup guy, I thought it would at least be permissible.  Growing up in PGH, Heinz was everywhere and condiments a way of life.  Not so much Heinz's late but not lamented soups.

Today I've eaten my requisite banana for breakfast, a thin sliced, almost shaved roast chicken sandwich with a slice of cheddar cheese in a white bun with mayonnaise, and a pile of dark russet potato chips. And a couple chocolate chip cookies. JoAnn might make what she calls Buddha Bowls for dinner. Those are bowls filled with Jasmine white rice topped with grilled vegetables and Italian sausage. I slather mine with hot peanut sauce or any teriyaki sauce we have on hand.

whaaaaaaaa? I sound like a FOODY!O.o

7 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

It does look like a great dog, but I do notice tomato on it.  If you didn't have a tomato, then what?  Tomato ketchup not replacement even if a lesser one?  Am all in for mustard and relish, for sure, and firmly believe they are table steaks.  OK, that was a bad attempt at a pun, sorry.  While I'm not a big ketchup guy, I thought it would at least be permissible.  Growing up in PGH, Heinz was everywhere and condiments a way of life.  Not so much Heinz's late but not lamented soups.

Known in these parts as Tube Steaks.  Heinz dose make mustard too and it's good.

Just pulling your chain guys, but they are good hotdogs served like the picture.  Check out Portillo's Hotdogs to see if there is one near you.  Worth the trip!

Virgil

1 minute ago, Virgil Kane said:

Known in these parts as Tube Steaks.  Heinz dose make mustard too and it's good.

Just pulling your chain guys, but they are good hotdogs served like the picture.  Check out Portillo's Hotdogs to see if there is one near you.  Worth the trip!

Virgil

That dog you posted looks TOO good, making me a bit crazy.  My favorites are char-grilled, mustard & pickle relish; an alternative is a chili dog with cheddar cheese.   Then there's kielbasa, sausages...

36 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Hot Dog

Virgil

good looking dog but where's the chili  ?

Interesting topic.  I love to cook.  Got it from my grandfather who I spent most of my youth with during the summer "Wonder" years in the 1960s.  He loved to cook.  Home made Chip Beef gravy with either home made bread or biscuits every morning.  Only exception would be fried fish for breakfast if I had good luck the previous day.  However, his favorites were Pot Roast and Pot Pie with country ham.  He had false teeth and they probably weren't well made ones either so everything was cooked until it was quite chewable with or without good teeth.  He was born in 1904, so the Great Depression was always in the back of his head.  He recalled and told me the story of eating nothing but potato soup pretty much every day except Sunday during the Depression when his mom would somehow figure out some way to get meat on the table.  Because of him I like to cook and I cook at home 90% of the time.   

However, I just got back from a trip to Michigan where I had brought all sorts of pre-made frozen stuff from home.  I had frozen home made venison chili, home made vegetable soup,  home made pork BBQ and lots of sides.  The stuff one could make up in about 15 minutes with a microwave or stove.   Well, 6 nights there and I ate none of it.  I was in a location that had lots of restaurants no more then 5 miles away.  Some good stuff, some not good stuff.  First night after a 12 hour drive up, I hit the KFC, bought a chicken breast original recipe, mashed potatoes and ice tea and went back an unpacked and went to bed.   

Next morning got up and had granola serial and went hunting.  Lunch time I wasn't even hungry, and kept scouting for new covers.  On the way back to home base the local Subway called to me and I got a large carved turkey sub with the cranberry mustard sauce.  Had 1/2 of that for dinner.  Next morning, granola serial and fought rain must of the morning.  Went back and changed clothes and went to a local restaurant and had fish and a baked potato and cole slaw for lunch.  Ate the rest of that left over sub for dinner that night washed down with a couple beers.  Next night I was super tired and went to the KFC for their fried Chicken Buffet.  Complete meal and I do love their chicken buffet for 9 bucks.  Last day there I did the breakfast granola thing and skipped lunch and had Friday night fish fry at another local restaurant. 

So, I guess you could say I'm both a foodie and a fueler.  I do try local restaurants for both the food and to see what makes the world go round, and watching your fellow mankind at a restaurant can tell you a lot about folks.   I sat at KFC and watched someone eat 20 pieces of chicken (I ate 2 wings and 2 legs).  Little fellow and I have zero idea where he put it all.  Maybe he only ate one meal a day and this one was it.   He also ate the sides and at the end he ate just about an entire Apple Pie that had on the buffet.   I think KFC lost some money on that fellow for sure. 

40 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Hot Dog

Virgil

That's not a hotdog. The only hotdog is a "hillbilly hotdog" as my Buckeye BIL who married into our Eastern KY rooted family calls them. A dog covered in chili sauce, diced onions, and slaw (creamy, not the German vinegar crap). Like him, most not from the South turn up their nose at the very idea, until they try it. 

I'm a foody but enjoy this simplicity of just fueling sometimes.  Nothing better than a simple bologna sandwich or a good PBJ on the tailgate of a pickup.