"About like a sharp stick in your eye"

1 minute ago, mister grouse said:

I am very conscious on the hats, glasses , and any other preventive steps.  This was just two really small chance events that occurred despite all reasonable preventative measures.  I had on glasses that are curved on edges and almost tight to the cheek on first eye, like work safety glasses .  The branch just slid right under the edge and in to my eye  in each case.  Odds of that occurring are pretty small but if you get in thick head high stuff  the odds go way up. 

Some friends wear the googles that cyclists wear in off road .  And they are vented so as not to fog.  They do look like fools in them , but they don't get eye scratches!

Ouch! I wish you the best for a speedy recovery. I haven;t taken one bad to the eye yet, amazingly, but I did have one go in my ear to the drum. Something got cut up in the process as I had a fair amount of dried blood in my eye when i got home.

With a couple of torn retinas in the last few years I am very careful of my eyes. I still see spots and sometimes flashes. Makes hunting interesting. As an aside, I had an in-law in the hospital for a few days last week. She is in SD and was in hospital during the start of pheasant season. I was visiting her that day and there were walk-ins to the emergency room all day long. Nurse told me the first day of the season is their busiest day of the year. To quote Hill Street Blues. "Be careful out there".

4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

That's some bad luck. I started wearing cheap shooting glasses because of what you described. I haven't had any yuh got skip behind though. Before UpI wore shooting glasses Ingit a Spruce needle poke in my dominant right eye. It really didn't hurt that bad but my eye was watering and half closed the rest of the day. I shot better that day than most any other day. I'm not kidding.

2 hours ago, NHBirddogger said:

You should close your eyes while shooting more often...

Actually sorta true. My right eye was a blur all day, and I remember I shot two grouse that day and a few Woodcock. For me that's a reason to celebrate. It occurred to me I was probably "aiming" and closing my left eye before shooting. The compromised right eye caused me to keep both eyes open. 

PA is littered with thorn apple which also happens to be decent habitat for grouse.  In the late '80's spent a long time in the evening in a waiting room of an ER in Indiana, PA with a piece of thorn in the side of my left eye that snuck behind my shooting glasses.  The pain was really bad, blurred vision - you know the drill.  Three days of an eye patch and about a week more until it was back to normal.  Of course, it was the 1st day of a three day hunt.  Since I shoot righty, was able to keep going the next few days but it was at best uncomfortable.  BTW, a great excuse for missing is the lack of depth perception one eye affords.  Until you acclimate to this, not easy to hit something (acclimation occurs the day after you come home).   Not sure which Murphy law that is, maybe it's buried down the list. 

Cannot imagine driving 1,100 mile with both eyes poked - that is bad@$$ tough!

My English Cocker Spaniel had the same problem last week.  We drove over 3 hours to hunt pheasants in the southwest part of the state and some time during our "fun", so started pawing at her right eye.  She continued to be bothered by something all that day and night so I took her to the vet the next morning and she found a splinter in her eye.  She didn't see it at first, but could feel it with her finger.  So - they pulled it out and found a minor ulcer that she said may require a contact lens like others mentioned.  Drops and pain pills until this Saturday and the follow-up looked good.

At least you didn't have to wear the cone of shame like she did for 5 days!