Intro - Meet Dobs

He's often bored and started training in me in certain ways I recognize - it's the ones I don't I'm worried about.  We had his brother over a few days ago - it was WWE for 3 hrs straight but he slept. Unlike tonight...

The Sire & Dam for my guy were both under 40# - I'll be surprised if he goes over 40# but he's ramping up fast.  This was called a "high performance" litter.

Somehow I go caught up in specific "high performance" litter dog world.  What that means is that Dobs's siblings will be world famous and I'll have Dobs to hunt with.  I'm good with that - if he's "world famous on UJ" then I'll call it a win.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sprocket

• Cold Iron

• Irishwhistler

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Most Interesting Dog in the World: I don't always chew things but when I do... Oh who am I kidding - I chew everything!

Hi All - Been a while - thought I'd check in and catch up:   Dobs has been busy with shows lately with a hunt test stuck in between (2nd Started pass) - This weekend he picked up his 3rd 5 p

Update: The NSDTR Region 1 hunt test is in the books and while we didn't pass both days, we passed on Saturday.  Dobs now can change the WC to WCI - I learned a few things during both tests...

Posted Images

11 weeks and 17lbs is growing faster than our Gordon pups of 12lbs and 13lbs at 16 weeks.  These guys should be fifty pounds and change. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

He's 12 weeks and 20 lbs. - We're all learning together and he's at max teething/biting now.  There have been a few out of context snaps and he's wary of loud noises - garbage truck, motorcycles, vacuum.  He just runs for the house/away as hard as he can.  Hope this does not translate to gun shy.  When we got him home he was in front of our boiler (its in the kitchen) and when it kicked on, he backed away and sat - then moved away looking to escape...

2017.11.28 Dobs.JPG

Sounds like normal puppy behavior to me.

Pups are individuals, just like us. Some bolder than others. It's important to expose the pups to these noises continually. Start slow, and work your way up. Feeding time is a great time to introduce sounds. Pups, like human children, experience "fear phases" in their development. Part of a youngster growing up. Also, it takes a pup time to acclimate to new surroundings.. some longer than others.

If the pup shows a fearful reaction, just go about your business to show the pup there is nothing to fear, and it's just normal, everyday background noise..

Way to early to worry about gun shyness.... Allow your pup to be a pup, and try not to transfer your fears through your body language, which dogs have a great affinity for..

For now, enjoy that cute little guy, and allow him to develop at his own rate ..

Agreed. Had our female go suddenly scared of the vacuum last week, male still doesn't care. Going to see how it goes tomorrow!

• 1 month later...
Hal Standish
On 11/3/2017 at 2:43 PM, sprocket said:

The Most Interesting Dog in the World:

I don't always chew things but when I do...

Oh who am I kidding - I chew everything!

Having only work with four Tollers Ages 10 months thru 2.5 years. I would have to agree, around the training center we just called them "Alligator mouths".

Best of training.

Happy 2018

Hal

Urban_Redneck

Guy across the road from me has the world's loudest Harley, I credit him with gun breaking my pup.

aww, what a handsome pup, I saw one not too long ago here in CO on a trail and mentioned to the owner "what a nice looking toller" and they couldn't believe I knew what kind of pup they had :). They won't hunt him but he gets lots of exercise apparently.

• 2 months later...

6 months - he's coming along well.  I wish I could do more than I can.

6 months old.JPG

My friend has a toller that is absolutely the nicest dog to be around.  Very chill in the house.  He bought it as a waterfowl dog but I have to say he's not quite there at 3 years of age.  He always comes hunting with us and is phenomenal in the blind just doesn't have enough desire to retrieve birds.  I don't think that is the dog's fault - rather the lack of training he's received.  He doesn't have the same natural drive that my cocker does but I do think if he had been worked with more consistently up to this point he would certainly be a serviceable duck dog.  Get that pup some exposure and put him through a well planned training program and I'll sure he'll be great. He's very sharp looking.  

Forget wings they all chew them. Bad habit to teach.  Save some ducks when you're hunting next. They can be frozen and thawed many times for training.  

1 hour ago, Cass said:

Forget wings they all chew them. Bad habit to teach.  Save some ducks when you're hunting next. They can be frozen and thawed many times for training.  

Please expand on this - I'm used to plucking and freezing and eating ducks/phez - not using them to train.  I got a bunch of wings - some feathers from a goose but no whole birds.  Can you break down the steps or point me to a place where the usual steps are broken down into steps for training with real birds?

Thanks

Dobs is looking great! I stopped letting my last one on the bed and even put a child gate across the door. But feel guilty sometimes so still end up with a bunch of red hair on the bed, floor and clothes. He has me well trained and knows how to give "the look". I have a feeling you know the look LOL.

You can buy ducks around here they are ~$20 each. Fully feathered and frozen. I have 4 in the freezer now. Start with land retrieves and make sure you tell him to "mark" right before you throw it. Have him sit heeling and if he is already excited to retrieve make him stay until you tell him to fetch. If he isn't interested yet at 6 months don't worry about the stay get him excited over the fetch. And feathers. A bit more to it than that of course but a good place to start. Having a program with steps as mentioned earlier is the best approach, a solid methodology.

Ducks get worn and torn and I reuse them several times, throw them back in the freezer and try not to overdo it with Dobs or the ducks. The ducks get funky throw them out. In the summer they go bad quick. But you can get a lot of use out of them even in your yard. Throwing ducks is a serious business make sure he knows that. He should start shaking and get so excited he can't stand it and even do the Toller scream. Which you don't want in the blind so have to nip it in the bud yet encourage excitement. It is a fine line.

Got an email last night and Nova is a N/N or wild type (or no mutation) for the CDDY gene. The breeder would like additional testing because with the knowledge of the CDDY gene now it takes a lot of Tollers out of the gene pool for breeding, and him in the pool. He is already clear for DNA tests JADD, DE, DM, and buff. But would need to do PRA, hips, cardiac, OFA eye exam, and thyroid.  There are also the DNA tests for cleft palate, CP1 and CLPS. Still not sure. Wouldn't mind having a clone of him for grouse and pheasants though, and waterfowl when I get drawn in SD. Way my body is falling apart I should focus more on waterfowl anyhow. But not yet....