Intro - Meet Dobs

When my golden and lab were young I too used to keep a couple of frozen ducks for training, gets em used to the weight and smell. I also keep a couple of different types of upland birds frozen for training. Frozen birds cure hard mouth quick. 

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sprocket

• Cold Iron

• Irishwhistler

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Most Interesting Dog in the World: I don't always chew things but when I do... Oh who am I kidding - I chew everything!

Hi All - Been a while - thought I'd check in and catch up:   Dobs has been busy with shows lately with a hunt test stuck in between (2nd Started pass) - This weekend he picked up his 3rd 5 p

Update: The NSDTR Region 1 hunt test is in the books and while we didn't pass both days, we passed on Saturday.  Dobs now can change the WC to WCI - I learned a few things during both tests...

Posted Images

So Dobs has been away at "Training Camp" for the last 4 weeks.  When I dropped him off he went swimming 3 times total and very short distances.  A couple weeks ago we got footage of a 75 yard bumper retrieve and some footage of "hold, give, hold"  Great stuff overall.

This weekend I went down and helped out as a winger for him and a few other dogs - it was a lot of fun and anytime I get to watch various talent levels I learn a ton.  Friday I arrived in the late afternoon and we went to a field to do some long distance marks.  All dogs stretched out to 150+ yards at the end with good performances from all of them.

Saturday was some fun land marks in the morning with mixed results due to the puzzle presented - distances from 50 - 70 yards or so.  Afternoon found us at some water with islands, submersed trees, etc you'd expect to find in a swamp or flooded timber but nothing over the top, distances were between 50 & 65 yards for the long one.  Dobs got onto birds for this portion and stayed on birds the rest of the weekend.

Sunday we had 1/2 the dogs from the day before we started with water stuff in the morning with a larger pond with decoys and some curvy land bumps (lots of potential distractions) for "out & in" type of lines for the swim.  85 yards was the long swim and all the dogs made their passes with some expected hiccups.  We ended the morning with some uphill tricky land marks and there were mistakes carrying over from the earlier exercise but it was a good measure of where the dogs were all around.

I'm pretty thrilled my 9 month old is doing so well with marking & swimming - he's really something to watch, you'd think he was older than he is.  And then you watch him interact with the other dogs - classic Spike & Chester from Bugs Bunny cartoons - an energetic puppy trying to keep up and emulating the other dogs.  It was comical at times really.

I'll post pics soon.

Nice.  Looks like he's headed in the right direction.  Really good looking dog.

I pick up roadkill grouse and Woodcock and freeze them for dog training. Naturally, if not too messed up and not still warm under the wing...otherwise I eat them. I don't usually find roadkill Woodcock but the dog usually brings one or two a season that other hunters didn't find. I have a couple of each right now in the freezer.

Pic as promised - he's 8 mos here and 9 mos now.

Is there a way to post a video?  Same was as a pic?

2018.05.06 Fresh Bath.jpg

First I’ve seen of this thread and it’s been fun watching dogs grow up. From a little teddy bear to a no nonsense toller.  What a handsome guy!  Still a lot of puppy to go, I know, but he looks to be developing a gorgeous maturity.

• 1 month later...

So we're coming up on year 1 on Labor Day weekend - This shot was a couple weeks ago so he's 11 months there.  We start hunt tests for JH on Sunday...If anyone is at the Thompson CT test, look for a little red dog and ask for me...

August Retreive.jpg

7 minutes ago, sprocket said:

So we're coming up on year 1 on Labor Day weekend - This shot was a couple weeks ago so he's 11 months there.  We start hunt tests for JH on Sunday...If anyone is at the Thompson CT test, look for a little red dog and ask for me...

August Retreive.jpg

Beautiful pup still!!!

Looks like a NS duck toller! If it is, hang on to your hats and sharpen your wits because they are SMART li'l buggers. The three I knew a bit all wanted to try try and try again to outsmart the owners.

19 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Looks like a NS duck toller! If it is, hang on to your hats and sharpen your wits because they are SMART li'l buggers. The three I knew a bit all wanted to try try and try again to outsmart the owners.

He is!

We have, we have and he is!

I know about 9 of these things now - I hope they give me a job when they take over the world...aside from "head pooper scooper and bumper thrower"...

• 1 month later...

And at 1 year, 20 days old, a JH - Man what a crazy ride I've been on since he came into the scene.  I was thrilled watching him correct his course on the water retrieves and working hard to keep him in the water for the returns.  Great delivery and nice shake action - not a lot of style points, just solid work out and back.

Pics later - tired now.

• 1 month later...

I know a lot of you guys that have more than 1 dog may appreciate this - and y'all that are just on your first pup will later:

I really can't explain how hunting solo is so very different than hunting solo with a dog...Unless you're a Dad and your Son (or otherwise mentored person) is right there learning with you.

Watching it all click in the brain of your dog is such a wonder - I see birds I never did solo - I watch him instead of ducks/birds.  It really is what all those old guys I talked to all those years ago - I get it now.

All afternoon, I just wanted my Dad there to see it all...

The joy of a birdy tail outweighs the heavy heart of a partner missed.

Irishwhistler

Aye Todd,

So happy to see ye and DOBS thriving and becoming a team.  I enjoyed meeting ye in person on the hunt test circuit this year and look forward to seeing ye again.  Keep up the grand work with that Toller.👍

Cheers Mate,

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸