Ticks and hunting season underway?

What is your experience so far, now that the hunting season is well underway specifically concerning ticks on your clothes and skin? I had one on my brush pants after a hunt yesterday but the Permethrin and Deet I used seemed to serve me well, but my hunting partner discovered one embedded in his waistline area even though he had treated himself the same as I. Only difference is I buttoned my shirt collar to the top, he did not.     ????     How about you?    Lyme disease is prevalent in this county. 

Some information on ticks, as a reminder.     https://www.canidae.com/blog/2015/06/how-weather-plays-a-role-in-tick-outbreaks/

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harry

• GB Jack

• Brad Eden

• tut

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ticks are part of the outdoors now. They are out in droves in mid Maine. Ridiculous amount, really. I pick them off when felt or seen. I dont use any spray or preventative.. They do not alter my outdo

If ticks are prevalent in an area I wont even hunt there.....they are spreading every year but being in my mid 60s I should kick off before all my favorite spots are taken over by the little bastards.

2 weeks ago I counted 43 on my clothes on short Saturday hunt granted I had not treated the clothes I was wearing.  Last weekend wearing treated clothes one of the real small deer ticks got through on

Posted Images

I hunted yesterday in Pa and covered myself in deep woods off from my socks to my neck.  Still, as I was headed home I pulled 3 ticks off my head walking around.  Those little SOB's are persistent for sure. 

If ticks are prevalent in an area I wont even hunt there.....they are spreading every year but being in my mid 60s I should kick off before all my favorite spots are taken over by the little bastards.....hate to think what all those heavy duty repellents / insecticides are doing to you young guys.....

2 weeks ago I counted 43 on my clothes on short Saturday hunt granted I had not treated the clothes I was wearing.  Last weekend wearing treated clothes one of the real small deer ticks got through on Saturday found it Sunday evening already better then twice it's size dropped it off at the Docs on Monday for testing just waiting for the results.

Permethrin sprayed on all the clothes and Picaridin sprayed on the skin plus a tick check at the end of the day works well 

Permethrin has very limited absorption by human skin and is not classified as a carcinogen to humans. 

Doesn't mean you should be drinking or bathing in it, and some may develop a rash with skin contact. Spray it on the outside of your clothes, let it dry and go hunt. Beats getting lymes every day of the year. 

Pennsylvania is Lymes central. 

I have a Seresto collar on the dog and I spray her with the stuff you get at Tractor Supply that has both permethrin and citronella in it before each outing. My first hunt on Monday I forgot spray her and she had a dozen or more. When I spray she never has any, and the stuff smells good. I treat all my clothing with permethrin and haven't had any on me. I also shower as soon as I get back. Seems to be working so far. 

Plenty of ticks out here right now.  The Soresto collars do a good job for the dogs.  I'm picking them off myself, however.

Dog has used the Soresto collar for two years. Finally a tick got thru and he tested positive. Possibly all the mud, water and rubbing caused it to inactivate early. 

So, perhaps a reason to not wait until the recommended replacement date. 

Ticks are part of the outdoors now. They are out in droves in mid Maine. Ridiculous amount, really. I pick them off when felt or seen. I dont use any spray or preventative.. They do not alter my outdoor lifestyle. I am not disregarding or being insensitive about Lyme disease. I just refuse to be held hostage by ticks. This is even after just getting off an antibiotic regimen. Had an intact tick on my ear. Not engorged, but ear blew up, swollen, red, sore and itchy. Doc says cellulitis or a bacterial infection caused by the tick bite. Gone now and I'm in the woods every day for one reason or another.

5 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Ticks are part of the outdoors now. They are out in droves in mid Maine. Ridiculous amount, really. I pick them off when felt or seen. I dont use any spray or preventative.. They do not alter my outdoor lifestyle. I am not disregarding or being insensitive about Lyme disease. I just refuse to be held hostage by ticks. This is even after just getting off an antibiotic regimen. Had an intact tick on my ear. Not engorged, but ear blew up, swollen, red, sore and itchy. Doc says cellulitis or a bacterial infection caused by the tick bite. Gone now and I'm in the woods every day for one reason or another.

Hey Brad--please reconsider this. It is wise to take measures. Don't make me come over there.

Permethrin has been a real game changer for me. This is purely anecdotal , and I am hunting in fairy high tick zones. Since I started applying ( on pants only) I have not even noticed a tick on my pants, shirt, or especially my skin, in almost 8 years. It’s crazy how well it works. I supersoak my pants about a week for season and wear a mask outside when applying via spray bottle. I could need up with some disease from

it later, but I’m certain I’d have lymes right now if I didn’t use it. Dogs? That’s another story. My dogs are inside dogs, bathed every time after hunting, and sleep on our bed. So it’s like def con five tick search, part of the reason I like white, short haired dogs, we do treat with parastar plus , and it’s worked well 

11 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Brad, please be smarter,  my neighbor is debilitated from lymes

58 minutes ago, GB Jack said:

Brad, please be smarter,  my neighbor is debilitated from lymes

How? They are part of being outdoors. There is no way to completely avoid them. I have used spray stuff Turkey hunting and it doesn't work that well. Like I said, I don't mean to be insensitive about Lyme disease. But I won't get hysterical or change my outdoor life because of ticks. 

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

You've been told. It killed one of my Dogs and crippled a friend for 1.5 years until they figured it out. 

Alter your lifestyle? Lymes precautions have a lot in common with putting on a rubber with someone you prefer not to get pregnant.