Ticks and hunting season underway?

I am sorry about dogs and people who have been affected by ticks and Lyme, and stated not once but twice that I'm not trying to be insensitive. Everyone can make their own decision on what measures they will take to avoid ticks. My dogs have all tested positive for Lyme despite all precautions, and medications etc., and none have showed any symptoms. (Seresto collars are still working at 8 months)

Tell me exactly how a person can avoid having any ticks crawling on them after being off pavement?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harry

• GB Jack

• Brad Eden

• tut

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ticks are part of the outdoors now. They are out in droves in mid Maine. Ridiculous amount, really. I pick them off when felt or seen. I dont use any spray or preventative.. They do not alter my outdo

If ticks are prevalent in an area I wont even hunt there.....they are spreading every year but being in my mid 60s I should kick off before all my favorite spots are taken over by the little bastards.

2 weeks ago I counted 43 on my clothes on short Saturday hunt granted I had not treated the clothes I was wearing.  Last weekend wearing treated clothes one of the real small deer ticks got through on

Posted Images

1 hour ago, GB Jack said:

Permethrin has been a real game changer for me. This is purely anecdotal , and I am hunting in fairy high tick zones. Since I started applying ( on pants only) I have not even noticed a tick on my pants, shirt, or especially my skin, in almost 8 years. It’s crazy how well it works. I supersoak my pants about a week for season and wear a mask outside when applying via spray bottle. I could need up with some disease from

it later, but I’m certain I’d have lymes right now if I didn’t use it. Dogs? That’s another story. My dogs are inside dogs, bathed every time after hunting, and sleep on our bed. So it’s like def con five tick search, part of the reason I like white, short haired dogs, we do treat with parastar plus , and it’s worked well 

This is what we do, and have for 10 years. Works better than I would ever imagined.

24 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

How? They are part of being outdoors. There is no way to completely avoid them. I have used spray stuff Turkey hunting and it doesn't work that well. Like I said, I don't mean to be insensitive about Lyme disease. But I won't get hysterical or change my outdoor life because of ticks. 

Try permethrin on your clothes, it works 

If it was a huge pain in the ass I, I could see the reluctance but It doesn't take much effort to spray your clothing and let it dry. Not expensive either and it goes a long way toward protecting you. My clothing is all sprayed and I haven't seen  single tick on me. It's not like you have to do it every time you go out. Some people, our fearless leader among them, can be damn hard headed as at times!!  We care about you boss!!

5 minutes ago, GB Jack said:

Try permethrin on your clothes, it works 

I have some that I've used during spring turkey seasons. I've sprayed my coveralls from cuffs to above knees and I still had ticks crawling on me later after hunts. Maybe I'm not spraying enough. I have no problem with reasonable precautionary methods. How often do you spray clothes? I live in the woods basically, and take the dogs for extended walks on trails out back an average of three times a day. That doesn't count how much I bird and deer hunt during any given season, which is a lot given I have been self employed for many years with a flexible schedule.

Bought a bottle of concentrate at Tractor supply and mix up a small spray bottle to keep in the truck.

My cloths and hat get a spray a few times a year and the pups get a little each hunt as an extra help.

Only takes moments. Oh ya—boots also.

5 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I have some that I've used during spring turkey seasons. I've sprayed my coveralls from cuffs to above knees and I still had ticks crawling on me later after hunts. Maybe I'm not spraying enough. I have no problem with reasonable precautionary methods. How often do you spray clothes? I live in the woods basically, and take the dogs for extended walks on trails out back an average of three times a day. That doesn't count how much I bird and deer hunt during any given season, which is a lot given I have been self employed for many years with a flexible schedule.

That may be, brad I spray so much my pants literallybtake two days to dry , like douse in it. I can’t beiieve that didn’t work for you before . I do that ONCE a season , and never have a single tick . They say it’s good for 3 washings , so, the way I look at it, if it’s really wet or dewy out, I count that as a wash. That being said I’ve only applied a second time a season once, and my results have been fantastic 

I spray till the clothing gets fairly wet. A bottle of the Sawyer stuff doesn't go as far for me as the label says it should. I've also bought the concentrated stuff at tractor supply and mixed it with water, which is cheaper by far, but in my dotage I'm willing to pay more for convenience. I also am told that some hardware stores carry a bedbug spray that the same concentration as the Sawyer stuff and a lot less expensive. I've not been able to find any though.  Any port in a storm! I hate the little Bastages!!!

I had one attached to my penis one season. I will spare you the details. Suffice it to say, I am far more cautious since.

Mutation and bizarre swelling was involved, not to mention the pain of removal.

I counsel caution.

No deer ticks here, yet, but wood ticks in abundance in the summer. Like 100s on your pants per hour in the brush. Last year I used Sawyer Tick Repellent for Clothes and it worked like a charm. I just use these 2 pair of pants as dedicated tick pants, don't wash 'em, although the directions say a treatment will last through 6 wash cycles. Good stuff so far and not 1 tick.

32 minutes ago, john mcg said:

I had one attached to my penis one season. I will spare you the details. Suffice it to say, I am far more cautious since.

Mutation and bizarre swelling was involved, not to mention the pain of removal.

I counsel caution.

Maybe that’s how , no, I just can’t. 

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I am sorry about dogs and people who have been affected by ticks and Lyme, and stated not once but twice that I'm not trying to be insensitive. Everyone can make their own decision on what measures they will take to avoid ticks. My dogs have all tested positive for Lyme despite all precautions, and medications etc., and none have showed any symptoms. (Seresto collars are still working at 8 months)

Tell me exactly how a person can avoid having any ticks crawling on them after being off pavement?

You don't get everyone all the time. Seatbelts also don't prevent everyone from getting maimed or killed. Yet for some they do.

And I lied about the friend that was crippled up for 1.5 years. That was only until they got him on an IV antibiotic. Then it was another 8months or so-with getting an IV four times a day-until he came around. Bird hunter for conversation. Screwed up a couple years of being one.

Annnd, he looks normal now. All except for that little droop of his lower lip.

9 minutes ago, GB Jack said:

Maybe that’s how , no, I just can’t. 

I wish nightmares upon you and your progeny.

LIke Brad my daily activities mean that I am in contact with ticks I spray all my clothes and still get them on me you get very good at feeling them crawling on you when you have them almost daily doing just that. 

Lymes is a nasty bugger and I have it, it is something that even after been treated for it can still live on in your body deep in organs waiting it all depends on how long it went before it was caught after being bitten remember not everyone gets a bullseye rash.  If you get bit save the tick in a old pill bottle with some alcohol and have the doctor office test the tick that is the best way to find out if you might have lymes.  

I am not going to change how I do things but I do take precautions light colored clothing is good as you can see them on you quickly dark clothing makes it a lot harder.  Treating your clothes with Permethrin is a very good idea but depending on where the tick started its journey when you picked it up it may not work as planned if you spray your pants but got it on your arm well it was not in the treated area and it will find its way under your clothes.   Treat all your outer clothes not just your pants (Pants Shirt Coat Gloves Hat)