Ticks and hunting season underway?

I apparently hit a nerve...I apologize if I suggest not being proactive in avoiding ticks. Just like Ive suggested that hunting dogs during deer season (in Maine) isn't a problem, I no longer promote that. I do believe that's true, but don't ever want to be blamed if something bad happened. Same with ticks. Take whatever means you feel appropriate. I don't want to be responsible in any way if someone read my comments and got Lyme, and felt I influenced them. My attitude is also based on the media hysteria surrounding ticks in general and a conversations I had with my doctor recently when a tick bite infected my ear. He wearily told me he gets no less than 8-10 calls and appointments a day right now from patients who either found a tick crawling on them, or had one attached. These people have been scared to death. Thanks for the concern and suggestions. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harry

• GB Jack

• Brad Eden

• tut

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ticks are part of the outdoors now. They are out in droves in mid Maine. Ridiculous amount, really. I pick them off when felt or seen. I dont use any spray or preventative.. They do not alter my outdo

If ticks are prevalent in an area I wont even hunt there.....they are spreading every year but being in my mid 60s I should kick off before all my favorite spots are taken over by the little bastards.

2 weeks ago I counted 43 on my clothes on short Saturday hunt granted I had not treated the clothes I was wearing.  Last weekend wearing treated clothes one of the real small deer ticks got through on

Posted Images

Brad, I think the best thing for you to do is quit walking in the woods and stick to writing for Maine Seniors. It's true folks saw the article.

12 minutes ago, henryrski said:

Brad, I think the best thing for you to do is quit walking in the woods and stick to writing for Maine Seniors. It's true folks saw the article.

Walking in the woods is how I come up with ideas for that column...

WI Outdoor Nut
17 hours ago, john mcg said:

I had one attached to my penis one season. I will spare you the details. Suffice it to say, I am far more cautious since.

Mutation and bizarre swelling was involved, not to mention the pain of removal.

I counsel caution.

Reminds me of my buddies kid that had one attached to his scrotum.  Every time he attempted to pull it off, the scrotum just came with.  Was hard not to laugh at the situation - like a rubber band going back and forth.  But really not a good situation. 

By far the worst I have ever experienced during bird season. The problem here in northern New England is it stayed so warm all month. We have had two frosts at my house. Neither killers.

But that is about to change. Lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's will slow them down a bit.

I agree with Big Al's cure. Just asking God to wait until after 12-31-17. The best grouse hunting for me is a leafless December landscape.

One day I picked over 50 off Belle. Deer, dog and a light colored micro tick I have never seen before.  Bravo to Seresto collars.

I got bit once last month. I did not let the ticks deter my hunting plans.

PartridgeCartridge
17 minutes ago, Coalman said:

By far the worst I have ever experienced during bird season. The problem here in northern New England is it stayed so warm all month. We have had two frosts at my house. Neither killers.

But that is about to change. Lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's will slow them down a bit.

I agree with Big Al's cure. Just asking God to wait until after 12-31-17. The best grouse hunting for me is a leafless December landscape.

One day I picked over 50 off Belle. Deer, dog and a light colored micro tick I have never seen before.  Bravo to Seresto collars.

I got bit once last month. I did not let the ticks deter my hunting plans.

That's just not correct. Ticks actually become more active as it gets colder as they need hosts to latch onto to survive. It is a wives' tail that the cold temps knock them down.

Also, tick habitat is largely soil driven. Well drained areas usually have a higher concentration of them. Avoid the drier areas and you avoid the axiom of swimming in shark infested waters.

Do some research. It may save you a bought with Lymes or maybe from driving a wheelchair with your teeth as some of the other tick borne diseases can be downright debilitating.

Had Lymes once 15 yrs. ago. Developed Bullseye rash or I wouldn't have thought to read up on Lymes. Lymes.net was a really scary eye opener back then. 

On a short trip to MN this past Oct. I had ordered Sorresto collars but they didn't arrive in time.  I sprayed my dogs with DEET but it didn't help at all. There had to be between 75 and 100 on each dog. I swear half of them migrated from the dogs onto me overnight. I could "feel" ticks crawling on me for weeks after that. Ticks will make a guy with a choice become a sharp tail grouse hunter in a hurry.

13 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

That's just not correct. Ticks actually become more active as it gets colder as they need hosts to latch onto to survive. It is a wives' tail that the cold temps knock them down.

Also, tick habitat is largely soil driven. Well drained areas usually have a higher concentration of them. Avoid the drier areas and you avoid the axiom of swimming in shark infested waters.

Do some research. It may save you a bought with Lymes or maybe from driving a wheelchair with your teeth as some of the other tick borne diseases can be downright debilitating.

First Google page. You live in NJ. It never gets cold for long. When it stays below freezing here ticks are not active. Let it get over 32 degrees and they do crawl.

Do ticks die after the first frost?

TERC Answer: No such luck! Some species, like American dog tick and Lone Star tick are just not active in fall and winter months. Others, like Blacklegged (deer) tick can remain active in their adult stage from fall to spring as long as the temperature is above freezing. Each life stage (larvae, nymph and adult) of any species of tick has a discrete time period when it is most likely to be looking for a host.

20 hours ago, john mcg said:

I had one attached to my penis one season. I will spare you the details. Suffice it to say, I am far more cautious since.

Mutation and bizarre swelling was involved, not to mention the pain of removal.

I counsel caution.

You must have used the old tip of the lit cigarette method to remove it...........:/

I've had two attached to me in the past week, one on my arm and the other on my leg. Both got red and sore. My wife insisted I go to the docs which I did not do. Was on antibiotics for four months years ago from Lyme and then got a serious yeast infection from the antibiotics so for me the cure seems worse than the disease. The Lyme did cause arthritis like symptoms and my doctor now tells me I have "chronic Lyme disease."

17 minutes ago, Bob Blair said:

You must have used the old tip of the lit cigarette method to remove it...........:/

Ah--nope. But hey--maybe next time.

:-)

This year, up here in the NW corner of WI, I have seen far fewer ticks this fall, than in years past.  Last year Black Legged Ticks were everywhere, 50 on a dog after a couple of hours in good upland cover was typical, and a few of them seemed to be impervious to any treatment.  This year, I've removed about three from Sloane, and probably about that many from me.  My best guess is that the weird, warm winter last year, which saturated the surface of the ground, followed by a sudden period of normal January cold  (-20) without snow cover, killed off a lot of them.  Since ticks winter over on deer, it'll be interesting to see if they're carrying fewer than has been the case, in a couple of weeks (assuming I get one ;)).

I pulled one of of Sophie this morning and she has a Seresto on that's only about 2 months old.  Pa is covered with them little buggers.