Ticks and hunting season underway?

13 minutes ago, tut said:

I pulled one of of Sophie this morning and she has a Seresto on that's only about 2 months old.  Pa is covered with them little buggers. 

Was it attached? Surprised if so. Our Serstos are 8 months old and nothing attached. We find a few crawling on the dogs after a hike in woods but pick off and kill/discard.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harry

• GB Jack

• Brad Eden

• tut

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ticks are part of the outdoors now. They are out in droves in mid Maine. Ridiculous amount, really. I pick them off when felt or seen. I dont use any spray or preventative.. They do not alter my outdo

If ticks are prevalent in an area I wont even hunt there.....they are spreading every year but being in my mid 60s I should kick off before all my favorite spots are taken over by the little bastards.

2 weeks ago I counted 43 on my clothes on short Saturday hunt granted I had not treated the clothes I was wearing.  Last weekend wearing treated clothes one of the real small deer ticks got through on

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Was it attached? Surprised if so. Our Serstos are 8 months old and nothing attached. We find a few crawling on the dogs after a hike in woods but pick off and kill/discard.

Was indeed attached behind the ear, but probably had only been there for less then 12 hours.  Surprised me.  I cinched up the Seresto a bit tighter as I may have had it on her not tight enough.

2 hours ago, Randy S said:

Had Lymes once 15 yrs. ago. Developed Bullseye rash or I wouldn't have thought to read up on Lymes. Lymes.net was a really scary eye opener back then. 

On a short trip to MN this past Oct. I had ordered Sorresto collars but they didn't arrive in time.  I sprayed my dogs with DEET but it didn't help at all. There had to be between 75 and 100 on each dog. I swear half of them migrated from the dogs onto me overnight. I could "feel" ticks crawling on me for weeks after that. Ticks will make a guy with a choice become a sharp tail grouse hunter in a hurry.

I would rather hunt sharptail anyway. 😁

Merlot, the Cocker, has worn a Soresto his entire three yeas. This year he tested Lymes positive, so one got thru. Collars were changed at the recommended intervals. I never found one attached, but obviously I missed one and that is all it sometimes takes. Will now change them a month or two earlier after hunting season. Perhaps the rubbing, mud, etc inactivates them quicker than 8 months. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Merlot, the Cocker, has worn a Soresto his entire three yeas. This year he tested Lymes positive, so one got thru. Collars were changed at the recommended intervals. I never found one attached, but obviously I missed one and that is all it sometimes takes. Will now change them a month or two earlier after hunting season. Perhaps the rubbing, mud, etc inactivates them quicker than 8 months. 

My dogs have always tested positive for the bacteria, but not a one has ever become symptomatic.

I'd be surprised to hear of a field dog that didn't test positive for the bacteria.

14 minutes ago, john mcg said:

My dogs have always tested positive for the bacteria, but not a one has ever become symptomatic.

I'd be surprised to hear of a field dog that didn't test positive for the bacteria.

Same, as mentioned. Every one. No symptoms, thank goodness.

For two years he tested negative. Two months ago he came back positive. Treated with one month of doxycycline. 

Recent studies in humans have shown significant positive preventative protection with a single prophylactic doxycycline dose prior to Lymes exposure. Both of us now take one prior to going out. 

We got our two the vaccine, but I do wonder if that is truly effective as a preventative... We also use the Seresto collars and I load myself up with DEET - haven't found any alive or embedded yet this year, hunting in VA. 

As an aside, the correct usage is "Lyme Disease" not "Lymes" or "Lyme's" as it is named for a place (Lyme, CT) and not a person (such as Parkinson's). 

14 hours ago, Harry said:

For two years he tested negative. Two months ago he came back positive. Treated with one month of doxycycline. 

Recent studies in humans have shown significant positive preventative protection with a single prophylactic doxycycline dose prior to Lymes exposure. Both of us now take one prior to going out. 

There are no easy answers to any of this stuff. Overuse of antibiotics is a huge issue everywhere, so one has to wonder if this is a good idea. We have so much more antibiotic resistant bacteria these days and people are dying daily because of it.  This being said by someone who has probably been on antibiotics more than 90% of the general population, and am on a single prophylactic dose of an antibiotic daily. I'm thinking about going off them and am going to talk to my doc about doing just that.   I'm at the point where I'll ignore an infection unless I have severe symptoms. Nothing's simple anymore. 

BTW, there are a lot of us who believe that if you have a sporting dog and hunt them regularly, chances are better than 50% that they'll test positive to Lyme.

Vet says the same on the 50% opinion. But he has also seen some Dogs have serious negative outcomes with Lymes. He is also a serious hunter. I'll abide by his thoughts on the matter.

Re the antibiotic-resistant bacteria, and while it is a popular topic in some circles, it has yet to be proven to be a significant problem. Work as a Pharmacist in a major Children's hospital, and I can assure you that it is currently far from any significant problem when it comes to causing the death of many-if any-individuals in the 30+ years I've been there. Some also believe man is the primary cause of global warming. I'm not one of them either. The point is while it could happen, as of now bacterial resistance that causes widespread deaths is a myth. Doubt if I will change your views, so carry on with what makes you comfortable.

PartridgeCartridge

Speaking of myths, one is that they die when it freezes. If that were the case, a thousand other species of insects would also die. Yet they survive and multiply. They simply go dormant in an ambush site and all it takes is one to fall on you or a dog to warm up and feed.

They are ambush parasites with millions of years of evolution that has perfected their survival.

If ya swim with the sharks, keep an eye on the one you can't see.

I'm careful as hell about them. I don't let them deter me from my sports but I am super vigilant about me and the pup. And he has been vaccinated.

The closer I get to sixty trips around our Sun, the less and less I want anything to do with tick born diseases or the chemo like treatment required for advanced infection.

JMO 

19 hours ago, Harry said:

Wait you take one pill of doxy each time before you go out? What physician prescribed that? 

The ticks here in Southern Vermont are the worst they've ever been this year. A few of my covers have few, if any, but most are infested with legions of them. My pup and I come out of the woods covered in ticks despite the fact that he is on Bravecto and I practically bathe in Permetherin.  But like many others have stated, I'm not gonna stop doing what I love because of "some bugs."  I just had to learn to become an expert tick picker.

Just got home from doctor visit. 2 weeks doxy treatment. I was out placing a deer stand. Pulled over 50 ticks off. Had about 12 that had just latched on. Developed a mild case of cellulitis. Fun.