Jump to content

Ticks and hunting season underway?


Recommended Posts

Well, I just pulled an embedded one off me this morning on my arm.  Got it yesterday playing in Pa.  It wasn't full of my blood as it I just got it yesterday.   I spray myself from top to bottom with Deet around the socks/waist/cuffs/collar like clockwork.  Never miss.  That said, I got in the car yesterday and pulled 4 off my head that were crawling around (guess I need to spray my hat as well).  Found three on Sophie this am and she has a 2 month old Seresto on her.  2 were stone dead (although they looked like they were slightly engorged).  The other wasn't engorged but was very much alive and attached to her head.  Frankly don't know what else to do.  I've never seen ticks this bad and I'm trying to take whatever precautions I can for both human and canine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Harry

    15

  • GB Jack

    12

  • Brad Eden

    8

  • tut

    7

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ticks are part of the outdoors now. They are out in droves in mid Maine. Ridiculous amount, really. I pick them off when felt or seen. I dont use any spray or preventative.. They do not alter my outdo

If ticks are prevalent in an area I wont even hunt there.....they are spreading every year but being in my mid 60s I should kick off before all my favorite spots are taken over by the little bastards.

2 weeks ago I counted 43 on my clothes on short Saturday hunt granted I had not treated the clothes I was wearing.  Last weekend wearing treated clothes one of the real small deer ticks got through on

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, tut said:

Well, I just pulled an embedded one off me this morning on my arm.  Got it yesterday playing in Pa.  It wasn't full of my blood as it I just got it yesterday.   I spray myself from top to bottom with Deet around the socks/waist/cuffs/collar like clockwork.  Never miss.  That said, I got in the car yesterday and pulled 4 off my head that were crawling around (guess I need to spray my hat as well).  Found three on Sophie this am and she has a 2 month old Seresto on her.  2 were stone dead (although they looked like they were slightly engorged).  The other wasn't engorged but was very much alive and attached to her head.  Frankly don't know what else to do.  I've never seen ticks this bad and I'm trying to take whatever precautions I can for both human and canine. 

Deet is Useless on ticks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Deet is Useless on ticks. 

 

Really, I had a turkey hunter that told me that it was the only thing that worked all the time.  This is what the CDC says:  Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, or 2-undecanone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tut said:

 

Really, I had a turkey hunter that told me that it was the only thing that worked all the time.  This is what the CDC says:  Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, or 2-undecanone. 

Well it never worked for me years ago and it seems just like you found out yesterday it still is not effective.   Use Permethrin instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Well it never worked for me years ago and it seems just like you found out yesterday it still is not effective.   Use Permethrin instead. 

 

Went to the Grocery store and looked for anything with Permethrin in it and found nothing.  I know in the past Walmart sold Sawyer products that was for clothing not for use on the skin and my local Walmart doesn't carry it anymore anyway.  Can Permethrin be applied to skin or is it for clothing only? 

 

PS.  I ordered some Sawyer for my clothing anyway.   Don't like ticks at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

tut, that's what it was like around here last year.  No matter what I used, there always were a few that managed to bite the dog, though most of them died first.  This year, only one bit her successfully (was getting engorged before I found it), and that was at the point when she was due for her next Advantix treatment.  I don't expect you'll get a dose of twenty below zero, with no snow cover, to knock 'em back a bit, though.  I can't think of any other reason to explain their "scarcity" this year.  Not complaining, though ;).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2017 at 6:09 PM, Don Steese said:

I spray till the clothing gets fairly wet. A bottle of the Sawyer stuff doesn't go as far for me as the label says it should. I've also bought the concentrated stuff at tractor supply and mixed it with water, which is cheaper by far, but in my dotage I'm willing to pay more for convenience. I also am told that some hardware stores carry a bedbug spray that the same concentration as the Sawyer stuff and a lot less expensive. I've not been able to find any though.  Any port in a storm! I hate the little Bastages!!!

Wally World.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tut said:

 

Went to the Grocery store and looked for anything with Permethrin in it and found nothing.  I know in the past Walmart sold Sawyer products that was for clothing not for use on the skin and my local Walmart doesn't carry it anymore anyway.  Can Permethrin be applied to skin or is it for clothing only? 

 

PS.  I ordered some Sawyer for my clothing anyway.   Don't like ticks at all. 

Check tractor supply, southern states, maybe lowes.  cheaper and enough to do all your stuff. mix, dip outer clothes, air dry , and wear

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MNice said:

Wally World.

 

My local Wally World doesn't carry it.  Amazon.com is where I just bought mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...