Granddaughter's mule deer buck

charlo slim

Great job!  If the 7mm-08 was around when I was growing up that's all I would have ever shot in my life.  As it is I got one for a backup/kids/available to anyone gun and my Dad has one for the same reason.  Wonderful round. 

On 11/13/2017 at 7:59 PM, mccuha said:

The 7-08 is a deadly round. My son started shooting one when he was 7. 22 now and still shoots that caliber. It is a good round for all ages.

On 11/14/2017 at 3:14 AM, Brad Eden said:

Yes, and yes, on it being a round that will last anyone a lifetime. It's basically all I use for deer in Maine outside of a bow

19 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

If the 7mm-08 was around when I was growing up that's all I would have ever shot in my life.  As it is I got one for a backup/kids/available to anyone gun and my Dad has one for the same reason.  Wonderful round. 

Yep. The 7/08 It is indeed kinda the 3" 20 gauge of the centerfire rifle world! :ph34r:

Joking aside though, thanks for all the nice comments.  I'm actually feeling a bit the failure in the situation -- she is slipping WAY off the Grandpa approved bird path (just for now, I'm hoping).  Elk and black bear currently top her "hit list".  She has been working breaks and weekends as a "camp & pack assistant" for an outfitter, helping to wrangle stock and dudes to and from the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. When I asked her whether they were seeing any blue grouse along the trails, she immediately changed the subject to 6 pt bull elk and grizzly bears!:(

As long as she is in the Outdoors doing what she loves I would not call that a failure on your part at all. She can always come back to bird-hunting later on.  

2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

As long as she is in the Outdoors doing what she loves I would not call that a failure on your part at all. She can always come back to bird-hunting later on.  

Yeah, thanks, mostly joshin' on that one too.  There were certainly some years when I was so hard focused on putting big critters  in the freezer that I sadly neglected the bird hunting.   Never  more.

On 11/13/2017 at 2:09 PM, charlo slim said:

"Ahh... NOW we understand why grandpa always hauls around that game cart."

IMG_0931.JPG

Now I understand "mule" deer, always thought it was the ears.  Congrats to her!