REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Field Grade

Portable jump-start battery

gunsrus
28 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Cool little units. I is freaky that something so small can bring a big truck or vehicle back to life. I didn't wait 10 seconds after turning it on when I jump started my truck. Is that recommended in manual?

Haven't needed mine yet (my daughter has it all winter back and forth to Maine) and will be interested in this answer . 

curious why Wi Outdoor Nut's failed .

UplandHntr
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Cool little units. I is freaky that something so small can bring a big truck or vehicle back to life. I didn't wait 10 seconds after turning it on when I jump started my truck. Is that recommended in manual?

I dont think so, I was just staring at the pretty colored lights on it🤪

Edit- I guess it does say that it could take up to 30 seconds of being connected for some vehicles

A9639C95-7012-4CA4-A61D-FCFFCDBB054D.jpeg

bobman

Jump Starting a car with a truly dead battery can ruin your alternator

the voltage regulation is excessive and more than the components in the alternator is designed for

thats probably why they suggest leaving the jump starter connected as long as possible to hopefully bring up the battery prior to running the alternator 

i would use one in an emergency but I would put it thru several charge cycles on my battery before I tried to crank the engine

bobman

If you use jumper cables let the car charge for a good while prior to cranking for the same reason 

bmeador
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:25 PM, blanked said:

Wouldn’t it be better to spend the money on a battery load tester and replace a bad battery before hand

I guess you could.  But when I'm up north or out west where there is no cell service, hardly any other vehicles or people each day - I'm pretty much all alone!  I carry the GB40, Satellite Phone, tire repair kit, Fix-A-Flat, 1st Aid Kit, etc..., etc....   I want every advantage I can get.