All time favorite movie - pick one

On 2/1/2018 at 1:48 PM, Hub said:

I have a real soft spot in my heart for 'The Great Outdoors'.  It's not a cinematic masterpiece, but I have watched it several hundred times.  When my friend and I purchased hunting land before our boys were born  it came with an old dingy 1960's trailer home on it.  The trailer was mostly gutted with cobbled together 2x4 bunks with chunks of foam for mattresses.  It must have been a real 'deer shack' during it's day because it came with a good supply of adult magazines, playing cards, and half empty booze bottles.  Due to location there is no over the air t.v. available and very limited cell phone coverage (a bonus).  There was an old tv and 80''s vintage VCR.  One of the only tapes was 'The Great Outdoors' and we would put in on like some people might a favorite old record.  It was just background noise as we puttered around frying fish, drinking whisky and plotting our next days adventure.  After the boys were born 'The Great Outdoors' was the only movie up there that was even in the realm of kid friendly (don't even get me started on the time we caught them playing 'go fish' with nude playing cards).  They would watch that movie in rapt attention back to back to back if we would let them.  They played their hearts out all day outside, and when we started cooking dinner on came, 'The Great Outdoors'.  It got to be they all had it memorized right down to the voice inflection by the actors.  We had to explain to them that their mothers might not let them come back up to the shack if they kept telling other kids what hot dogs are made of ('Lips and assholes' according to Uncle Roman in the movie).  The old shack was razed and built anew and we wore through the original VHS copy.  The new shack has a DVD player and I can still convince them to watch 'Great Outdoors' with me once in a while though they can't understand why I like the movie so much.  Last deer season we had to break it out to please 'The Shack Gods' in hopes of changing our luck the next day.  

According to my wife who is a mental health therapist, repeated watching of movies is very good for young minds.  I forget the logic but this is what I thought when I read your post.  My boys watched movies over and over too.  I don't know how many times my youngest saw" Space Jam"  Your story brought back good memories of my boys childhood.   

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spin

• jeff88

• topdog1961

• Big Al

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants,monsters, chases, escapes, True Love, miracles... The Princess Bride

I'll admit to being highly cultured - Monty Pyton's Search for the Holy Grail

The more of these "if you had to pick only one" type threads I read here, the more I believe UJ is frequented by a bunch of sadists...  

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Peent said:

According to my wife who is a mental health therapist, repeated watching of movies is very good for young minds.  I forget the logic but this is what I thought when I read your post.  My boys watched movies over and over too.  I don't know how many times my youngest saw" Space Jam"  Your story brought back good memories of my boys childhood.   

The Great Outdoors along with Escanaba In The Moonlight are two traditional laugh fest camp movies at my cabin during the bird season! A few good other comedies are

Dodgeball A True Underdog Story ( Both cut's, one has Tommy the young kid in the Dodgeball film the underdogs are watching, puffing and choking on an opium pipe, this

was cut from the other version)

Next would be "Baseket Ball"