All time favorite movie - pick one

40 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Good rainy day thread but an impossible question to answer.

The other day I saw a movie I haven't seen for a long time--"Breaking Away".  Great flick.

Dennis Christopher is in the movie and that made me think of "Fade to Black"which is a very weird movie and made me think of other weird movies with actors who didn't quite make it big which of course made me think of Bud Cort and "Harold and Maude" which was a quirky movie and that made me think of "Rushmore."  Then of course "Local Hero" popped up in my mind.  Burt Lancaster was in that movie and that made me think of a movie he and Kirk Douglas made together about a couple of aging gangsters which nobody other than me might have liked.  And of course the Kirk Douglas connection made me think of "The Man From Snowy River" which kicked ass by any measure.

Then I remembered that Dennis Christoper used a Colt .45 Peacemaker in "Fade to Black" which made me hink of "The Shootist", where John Wayne proved what a fine actor he was--of course Jimmy Stewart was also in that movie so what else was I going to think of at that point but "Liberty Valence" which of course reminded me of Woody Strode and "Sergeant Rutledge" and all the great John Ford pictures Strode was in, and all the Ford pictures in general.

It went on from there but you get the idea.

Yes, I do indeed get the idea -- ADD?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spin

• jeff88

• topdog1961

• Big Al

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants,monsters, chases, escapes, True Love, miracles... The Princess Bride

I'll admit to being highly cultured - Monty Pyton's Search for the Holy Grail

The more of these "if you had to pick only one" type threads I read here, the more I believe UJ is frequented by a bunch of sadists...  

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, charlo slim said:

Yes, I do indeed get the idea -- ADD?

Short Attention Span Theater.

Several great movies listed, I could never say any one movie is better than every other movie I've ever seen. The first movie that left am impression that lasted for a very long time was Old Yeller. I saw that with my father and brother when it was released way back in the day.

I did enjoy "Breaking Away" very much.

The movie I will always allow time to watch if I notice it on TV is "Good Will Hunting." 

Too many to narrow it down, that's why I "liked" a bunch of other posts here. Cop out I know, but I'm a practical guy. Have probably seen Jaws more than anything else though.

1 hour ago, lee sykes said:

I remembered it was supposed to be just one so I went with my gut, crossed my fingers and deleted the other two.  If I'm wrong, I guess I'll just have to live with it. :)

The more of these "if you had to pick only one" type threads I read here, the more I believe UJ is frequented by a bunch of sadists...

13 minutes ago, Sage Hen said:

Legends of the Fall

X2 for Legends of the Fall. Anthony Hopkins reminds me of my own father in so many ways. 

It depends on my mood but I’d say The Usual Suspects. And I knew who Keyser was in the first 5 min. It’s pretty easy really.

Can't limit it to just one.  But the top few movies for me in no particular order:

1.Schindler's List (this movie was not one that I "enjoyed" watching, but it had such a profound effect on me regarding the value of a person's life that I can't leave it off);

2. Saving Private Ryan;

3. Braveheart (purely for entertainment value, I am well aware of its historical inaccuracies);

4. Legends of the Fall;

5. A River Runs Through It (the best book-to-movie movie ever made in my opinion);

6. Mony Python and the Search for the Holy Grail (I watched it with my son when he was about 10 years old.  Whenever he gets hurt he still tries to imitate an English accent and says "It's only a flesh wound."  He also loves to pass gas and then declare in a French accent "I fart in your general direction,"  much to my wife's chagrin.)

Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants,monsters, chases, escapes, True Love, miracles...

The Princess Bride

No way I can pick just one and declare it to be the best, I have to many favorites, here are a few in no particular order.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Casablanca

Rear Window

To kill A Mockingbird

The Wild Bunch

Jaws

Islands in the Stream

Cry Freedom

Marathon Man

Sleepers