All time favorite movie - pick one

24 minutes ago, Scrappy said:

Can't limit it to just one.  But the top few movies for me in no particular order:

1.Schindler's List (this movie was not one that I "enjoyed" watching, but it had such a profound effect on me regarding the value of a person's life that I can't leave it off);

2. Saving Private Ryan;

3. Braveheart (purely for entertainment value, I am well aware of its historical inaccuracies);

4. Legends of the Fall;

5. A River Runs Through It (the best book-to-movie movie ever made in my opinion);

6. Mony Python and the Search for the Holy Grail (I watched it with my son when he was about 10 years old.  Whenever he gets hurt he still tries to imitate an English accent and says "It's only a flesh wound."  He also loves to pass gas and then declare in a French accent "I fart in your general direction,"  much to my wife's chagrin.)

Why is it that wives don't laugh at Monty Python and the Holy Grail?! I watched it with my kids when they were much younger, and she went to the bedroom to watch something else, no doubt a Hallmark movie. Me and the kids still quote it when we're together. "Shrubbery" !

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spin

• jeff88

• topdog1961

• Big Al

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants,monsters, chases, escapes, True Love, miracles... The Princess Bride

I'll admit to being highly cultured - Monty Pyton's Search for the Holy Grail

The more of these "if you had to pick only one" type threads I read here, the more I believe UJ is frequented by a bunch of sadists...  

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Scrappy said:

6. Mony Python and the Search for the Holy Grail (I watched it with my son when he was about 10 years old.  Whenever he gets hurt he still tries to imitate an English accent and says "It's only a flesh wound."  He also loves to pass gas and then declare in a French accent "I fart in your general direction,"  much to my wife's chagrin.)

When he's old enough make sure he sees Monty Python's "Life of Brian"--the one with the character "Biggus Dickus".

I haven't been a movie goer for many years now but a few of my old favorites are Wizard of OZ,  River Runs Through It and Holy Grail.  Oh and Dances With Wolves. 

Jeremiah Johnson

•  
  •  
  •  

•  

2 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

The more of these "if you had to pick only one" type threads I read here, the more I believe UJ is frequented by a bunch of sadists...

Hope it was more like rainy day ennui, not sadism.  But you could be on to something...

Not easy to pick a favorite when the list of amazing movies is really long.  Maybe should have asked it this way, what movie is the 1st one you think of if asked which is your favorite one.  Private Ryan always pops 1st into my head.  A bit surprised no one mentioned my favorite comedy, Young Frankenstein.  The entire family loves it, by now we can almost recite it and often do when around each other.  "What hump?"

I have only seen 2 movies in the theatre more than once. 1 was saving Private Ryan. I think that says a lot.  

There are movies that are great, really great that I never need to see a second time. "To end all wars" would be at the top of that list. 

When it comes to comedies it's blazing saddles, "somebody's going to have to go back to town and get a $hitload of dimes!" I love grumpy and grumpier old men. The old man's speech about light beer and bacon is perfection. 

Yet I think none of those can be "my favorite" as the easiest logical determiner of greatness has to be number of times you watch a movie. As a result the winner of "my favorite" movie of all time by a landslide is The Sandlot. I literally wore out the VHS tape off it I had growing up. It truly is perfection to 10 years old boys. 

43 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Hope it was more like rainy day ennui, not sadism.  But you could be on to something...

Not easy to pick a favorite when the list of amazing movies is really long.  Maybe should have asked it this way, what movie is the 1st one you think of if asked which is your favorite one.  Private Ryan always pops 1st into my head.  A bit surprised no one mentioned my favorite comedy, Young Frankenstein.  The entire family loves it, by now we can almost recite it and often do when around each other.  "What hump?"

Hope you took my comment in the good humor it was meant Jeff. Everyday, I feel blessed for the freedom of all the choices I have living in this country. Just makes me smile when I'm asked to narrow it down. 

The Best Years of our Life. Deals with readjustment for three service men after the war. Next in line would A River Runs Through It.