All time favorite movie - pick one

21 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

The more of these "if you had to pick only one" type threads I read here, the more I believe UJ is frequented by a bunch of sadists...

Did you hear about the sadist who married the masochist? 

The masochist said "hurt me..."

And the sadist said "....no"

Sorry Brad, I hope that wasn't to Jr. High. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spin

• jeff88

• topdog1961

• Big Al

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants,monsters, chases, escapes, True Love, miracles... The Princess Bride

I'll admit to being highly cultured - Monty Pyton's Search for the Holy Grail

The more of these "if you had to pick only one" type threads I read here, the more I believe UJ is frequented by a bunch of sadists...  

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Hope you took my comment in the good humor it was meant Jeff. Everyday, I feel blessed for the freedom of all the choices I have living in this country. Just makes me smile when I'm asked to narrow it down. 

Definitely took it in good humor, it really cracked me up too - it does appear like a tortuous question having looked at posts. Didn't mean to do that at all!  Not easy for me to answer either, does that mean it was a sado-masochist question?

Lots of great movies mentioned I'll throw in one of my favorite westerns ONE EYED JACKS. Great Brando and Mauldin.

17 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Three Days of the Condor

If someone asked me what is the most under-rated movie, this ^ 

One of the most chilling movie endings, when I saw it the 1st time while in college, it really shook my friends and me up.  Especially during the oil crisis. 

For some reason Robert Redford is rarely taken as a serious actor, his acting in "All is Lost" and Condor are top shelf. 

1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

Did you hear about the sadist who married the masochist? 

The masochist said "hurt me..."

And the sadist said "....no"

Sorry Brad, I hope that wasn't to Jr. High. 

Ha!  See my post above for Marc - grape mines think alike.  Or there are two Jr. High-ers in here...

20 hours ago, max2 said:

I got to go with the 1940 version of the Biscuit eater. I'm ole school

How do you watch that? I have looked for that at times and have never come across it. The one time i saw it was 20 years ago on a VHS that a friends dad had recorded off TV.

42 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Ha!  See my post above for Marc - grape mines think alike.  Or there are two Jr. High-ers in here...

None of my friends in Jr. High got that joke....some of them still don't. 

I think my favorites have all been mentioned but I'll add two--Caddyshack and Animal House.  Both classic Harold Ramis comedies that I quote often and perhaps that's what makes a movie a favorite?  Quotability.  If that's is the case then my all time favorite is Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  I'm pretty sure I can quote the entire movie.  My late father and I used to watch it together often and I love all things Python. 

My favorite scene from The Grail

20 minutes ago, atticus said:

I think my favorites have all been mentioned but I'll add two--Caddyshack and Animal House.  Both classic Harold Ramis comedies that I quote often and perhaps that's what makes a movie a favorite?  Quotability.  If that's is the case then my all time favorite is Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  I'm pretty sure I can quote the entire movie.  My late father and I used to watch it together often and I love all things Python. 

My favorite scene from The Grail

"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

1 hour ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

How do you watch that? I have looked for that at times and have never come across it. The one time i saw it was 20 years ago on a VHS that a friends dad had recorded off TV.

I have it on dvd.  I actually enjoyed it this morning . After posting it yesterday ~ planted the thought to watch it again.  Good flick 

they sell online or if you would like to borrow it pm me your address I'd be happy to lend it to you . I  would want it back.:)

I just remembered something that makes me want to call a do over. My new favorite movie has to be the latest "Jumanji."  I took my 9 year old grand-daughter to see it recently. As we were walking out she said "Pap-pap, do you know you look a lot like The Rock. You both are bald, you both have dark skin, and you both have the same color eyes.  The only difference is you have a goatee and he has tattoos."  

After that we exited into the mall and I bought her anything she wanted. 

I think you look like the Rock also can we go to the gun shop :D

If you want to just sit back and forget about your troubles for a couple of hours------

--- It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World----

Several funny folks in that one. Milton Berle, Johnathan Winters, Mickey Rooney, Buddy Hacket, Sid Ceasar, Jack Benny, Spencer Tracey and a host of others.

No cursing, no politics, no nudity, just non stop laughs.

As mentioned, so tough to choose just one, so a few categories:

Classic War Film: Kelly's Heroes and Patton

Current War Film: Saving Private Ryan and Dunkirk

Classic Western: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

Family Comedies: The Great Race, Princess Bride

Classic Comedy: Bringing Up Baby

Suspense: Vertigo

Father/Son: Second Hand Lions

Miniseries: Lonesome Dove , Band of Brothers

Best of All Time: The Godfather