REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Favorite "Little Known or Low Budget" Movie?

Brad Eden

As a sideline to the Favorite Movie Topic. Name some good, but little known, independent or low budget, maybe non-mainstream movies you like.

I watched a movie called MOON this past weekend at my daughters place in NH. It was filmed in 2009 and starred Sam Rockwell who was outstanding in it. Its a gritty futuristic/space movie about a company that mines "energy" off the moon to be used on earth...in the future, and how they keep the station manned. Apparently it was filmed during a big actors strike so the director and producer were able to get top special effects engineers to work on it for less money, and it premiered at Indy or Sundance film festival, and never went mainstream. Real cool flick.

Ill think up some more and Post later.

Dave in Maine

"The Lives of Others"

jeff88
11 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

As a sideline to the Favorite Movie Topic. Name some good, but little known, or low budget, maybe non-mainstream movies you like.

I watched a movie called MOON this past weekend at my daughters place in NH. It was filmed in 2009 and starred Sam Rockwell who was outstanding in it. Its a gritty futuristic/space movie about a company that mines "energy" off the moon to be used on earth...in the future, and how they keep the station manned. Apparently it was filmed during a big actors strike so the director and producer were able to get top special effects engineers to work on it for less money, and it premiered at Indy or Sundance film festival, and never went mainstream. Real cool flick.

Ill think up some more and Post later.

Sam Rockwell is a great actor, another gem of his that was not a big box office success but very good:  The Way Way Back.  Have to check out MOON.  

When Blade Runner came out, it was not a big hit in the theaters but later gained a ton of traction with viewers.  

Non-mainstream favorites for me:  Sideways, Raising Arizona and Waking Ned Devine.  I cannot see the word Merlot w/o thinking of Paul Giamatti chugging from a spit bucket.

Lone Star State of Mind

Not exactly a great movie, but hilarious. 

Bernie 

True story. Fact is stranger than fiction. 

Tony Moore

King Rat. one mans rise and fall, from king to a nobody..

erik meade

The King of Kong: A Fist Full of Quarters

Who knew a documentary about attempting to break the Donkey Kong record could be so engaging? 

walt lister

NCgrouse

Strange Brew, starring Doug and Bob McKenzie from the Labatts commercials.....

Brad Eden

The original Mad Max was a low budget movie, that spawned sequels that although well financed weren't close to the original.

BlacknTan

K-PAX

John Spacey & Jeff Bridges. Spacey may be out of favor now, but a good movie is a good movie!

MTRookie76

Dazed and Confused

Napoleon Dynomite

Brad Eden

Harold and Maude.

Eraserhead (creepy cult classic from the late 70's)

lee sykes

Slingblade and Fargo are cult classics in this house.  I have memorized every line, I think.  

Steve Hunts

The Twilight Samurai

Ride the High Country

Breaker Morant

Lonely are the Brave

Will Penny

Steve Hunts

Dead River Rough Cut

Conagher

The Gray Fox

The Mother Lode

Far From Men