Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Favorite "Little Known or Low Budget" Movie?

Recommended Posts

topdog1961
1 hour ago, hayslope said:

 

Wicked funny!

 

X2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topdog1961
55 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

This was the only movie from this thread that I could find that was free to watch last night.  It was an OK movie.  The only quotable line is "They chopped off his bowling fingers!"

 

I'm an inbred Hillbilly, so I guess I'm partial to a movie that's sympathetic to inbred Hillbillies. But there must be a lot of us, as many are calling it a cult classic. But like many cult classics, it doesn't resonate with everyone. 

 

Speaking of inbred hillbillies, if you're still looking for something great and free to watch, look up the "Home" episode of the old X-files. But only if you aren't squeamish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MAArcher
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

 

I'm an inbred Hillbilly, so I guess I'm partial to a movie that's sympathetic to inbred Hillbillies. But there must be a lot of us, as many are calling it a cult classic. But like many cult classics, it doesn't resonate with everyone. 

 

Speaking of inbred hillbillies, if you're still looking for something great and free to watch, look up the "Home" episode of the old X-files. But only if you aren't squeamish. 

I saw that when it originally aired.  Its so disturbing it makes it probably the the best episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bigjohnsd

Rancho Deluxe - we must have watched this movie ten times while in the Persian Gulf in the summer of '84.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Speedgoat44
On 1/29/2018 at 11:01 AM, Brad Eden said:

Harold and Maude.

 

Eraserhead (creepy cult classic from the late 70's)

Harold and Maude  - great soundtrack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topdog1961

I had a choice this morning of starting my taxes or watching a movie from this list. I watched "Donnie Darko". I should have done the taxes, far less confusing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topdog1961

Mudbound is a good movie and is on Netflix. 

 

I also found Bernie there, which is in this list and looks good. 

 

If anyone else finds any of the recommended movies either on Netflix or Amazon prime video, please post it. That would save me a lot of searches. As I said, we have a lot of winter left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

We watched Escanaba in da moonlight last night. Started out really great, funny, and very accurate concerning deer hunting, old deer camps, families, the crazy culture about deer hunting and pressure to shoot da big buck. etc., etc. Clever writing. I was figuring it would be full of inaccuracies as far as Firearms etc., which would have had me drifting off, but it wasn't. Attentive and laughing...until all the stupid UFO, flashing lights, foolish DNR warden and all the other bizzare crap. I know it was a spoof, and meant to be "campy" but had a great underlying story line. We literally fast forwarded about 20 minutes of the ridiculousness and finished with the last 10 minutes. An opportunity missed by Jeff Daniels who I understand is from upper Michigan, wrote, directed, and starred in it. IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeff88

Was thinking about this thread earlier today, learning about some movies that I want to see now.  One that I really liked is "The Milagro Beanfield War".  

 

For some reason, my wife watches the "Christmas Story" every year.  One of her gifts this year was a 6-pack of a local brew pub's "Yule Shoot Your Eye Out" Seasonal Ale to have during the annual movie showing.  8% ABV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vabirddog

The Frisco Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spin

"Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang"    Val Kilmer, Robert Downey Jr., Michelle Monaghan   -  the fast witty repartee between Kilmer and Downey is terrific.

also

"Winter's Bone"        Jennifer Lawrence (early, and showing she has what it takes acting - in spades!)   

and

"All the Pretty Horses "    Matt Damon       ( I saw an interview Damon did where he was asked why he too the role when it paid so little? Damon replied after reading the screen play he'd of done it for nothing)   

and last but not least

"Moonrise Kingdom"     Unique and hilarious the kids in this cast are priceless and it has a list of top shelf actors and many bid Hollywood stars in bit parts.                                                                    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spin

I know you're not deleting this screw up just to stick it to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spin
6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

We watched Escanaba in da moonlight last night. Started out really great, funny, and very accurate concerning deer hunting, old deer camps, families, the crazy culture about deer hunting and pressure to shoot da big buck. etc., etc. Clever writing. I was figuring it would be full of inaccuracies as far as Firearms etc., which would have had me drifting off, but it wasn't. Attentive and laughing...until all the stupid UFO, flashing lights, foolish DNR warden and all the other bizzare crap. I know it was a spoof, and meant to be "campy" but had a great underlying story line. We literally fast forwarded about 20 minutes of the ridiculousness and finished with the last 10 minutes. An opportunity missed by Jeff Daniels who I understand is from upper Michigan, wrote, directed, and starred in it. IMO

You mean you don't take the protective power of porky pi$$ seriously?  Even dem big ones? Ten demerits off your Back Woods, Boreal Forrest Bwana Rating! (when the maple sap don't ferment or the Hard Applejack tastes like the baby's apple juice you know the MoJo has left and it's time to find a real Bull Porky with prostate trouble. Holy Whaa, I thought you of all people knew that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
2 minutes ago, Spin said:

You mean you don't take the protective power of porky pi$$ seriously?  Even dem big ones? Ten demerits off your Back Woods, Boreal Forrest Bwana Rating! (when the maple sap don't ferment or the Hard Applejack tastes like the baby's apple juice you know the MoJo has left and it's time to find a real Bull Porky with prostate trouble. Holy Whaa, I thought you of all people knew that.

 

A lot of it was very funny, including the dialect, the porky piss and atomic farts.... the more ridiculous hallucinating, ufos, flashing lights from god and general bizzare BS was, well stupid. IMO. Imagine if they just kept it the funny chit about a UP deer camp, and one son who hadn't bagged da big buck at 42 years old and how he was the jinx of the whole town...and the young warden was just lost or something, how much better it would have been. Maybe it's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldSarge
36 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

 

A lot of it was very funny, including the dialect, the porky piss and atomic farts.... the more ridiculous hallucinating, ufos, flashing lights from god and general bizzare BS was, well stupid. IMO. Imagine if they just kept it the funny chit about a UP deer camp, and one son who hadn't bagged da big buck at 42 years old and how he was the jinx of the whole town...and the young warden was just lost or something, how much better it would have been. Maybe it's just me.

Yup, it’s kinda stUPid. (See what I did there?) Not many movies out there about the UP or deer camp so it gets kudos by default. Reindeer Games with Ben Affleck is about some small town casino up here too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×