Favorite "Little Known or Low Budget" Movie?

Old Yeller, Those Calloways and Big Red....Disney’s best.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• MAArcher

• Ben Hong

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slingblade and Fargo are cult classics in this house.  I have memorized every line, I think.  

Strange Brew, starring Doug and Bob McKenzie from the Labatts commercials.....

The 1st Cohen brothers film "Blood Simple" still my favorite of all their films with the exception of "The Big Lebowski"

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Chief Paduke said:

Tender Mercies 

Gawd, this never came to mind but my wife and I have seen it over and over again since its release in the early 80s. Won 3 Oscars, including best picture, best actor Robert Duvall and screenwriter. Betty Buckley, Tess Harper, Wilford Brimley, Ellen Barkin, etc. The screenplay was written by Horton Foote the noted screen writer of To Kill a Mockingbird,  and playwright.

Old Tom Hanks movie, Volunteers. Also, Best in Show, Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy among others. Both always make me laugh.

i recommend "The Final Cut" starring Robin Williams now available on Popcorn Flix.   It isn't funny but one of the best movies I have ever seen.

This weekend I watched a really good documentary on Netflix for anyone interested in the Vietnam War, jungle survival, or a remarkable man with an indomitable human spirit.  "Little Dieter Needs to Fly". Dieter Dengler decided as a small boy that he needed to fly as his German hometown was being strafed by Allied fighters in WWII.  When he turned 18 he left Germany for America with 30 cents in his pocket.  He joined the USAF, worked as a cook, earned his citizenship, graduated college, got a commission, and became a Skyraider pilot over Vietnam.  If that itself isn’t a good enough story, he was shot down in 1967 and endured months of torture in a jungle POW camp.  He escaped along with several others and was the only one to make it out after months in the jungle.  He returns to Vietnam and Laos, and relives much of the ordeal in this well done documentary by Werner Herzog. It’s only about an hour long and well worth your time.

image.jpeg

Drop Dead Gorgeous, a fake documentary about a teen beauty pageant in a small Minnesota town. And in a more doggy genre Best in Show. 

salmontogue
1 hour ago, henryrski said:

Does anybody remember Tank with James Garner?

Great movie.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched "KiIl The Irishman" 

About Danny Green and Cleveland mob in 1970's

lots of great actors, really good movie

Saw one on a plane recently that I thought was really excellent. The movie is called "Lucky" and it stars 91 year old (really) Harry Dean Stanton as a WWII vet living in a small desert town. Curmudgeon would be an understatement to describe Stanton's character. He's still seeking the meaning of life even at his advanced age and I think he finds at least a portion of his own purpose in the end. Especially poignant because it is the last role Stanton played before his death and he never even saw the movie released. Highly recommended as a nice feel good beak.