REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Chukarman

Top Ten all-time Westerns?

Chukarman
3 hours ago, Scar said:

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy.... the book not the movie.

Actually, anything from Cormack McCarthy's border trilogy is outstanding. He is a literate and unflinching writer 

Millriver
7 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

TV Movie, "The Sacketts" with Selleck, Sam Elliot, Glenn Ford and Jeff Osterhage. Not a great movie artistically speaking but somehow it has wormed itself into my consciousness so much that I will watch it whenever I see it anywhere!

I would not say the same for John Wayne's movies.

Did anyone mention "A Man Called Horse? or Jeremiah Johnson?"

The Sacketts may have been the best adaptation of one of Louis L 'Amour's series of books, and like you Ben, will watch it again and again. Love that scene with Sam Elliott and Ben Johnson in the tavern. And yes, Jeremiah Johnson is a classic. 

sprocket

While I enjoy The Sacketts, the made for TV "Conagher" is - arguably - better in that it closely portrays western life from a day-to-day perspective.  Dirt floors & roof, solitude, isolation (don't confuse the two), eeking out a living by cooking and offering a rest stop, range battles, etc.

And if you disagree, there's the fight scene - which is probably closer to reality than most fight scenes.

Where "Pale Rider" celebrates the gun fight, "Conagher" down plays it - the tension is still there - the release is different.

Samuel Hoggson

Shane

High Noon

Tombstone

Unforgiven

Open Range

Lonesome Dove

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Shootist

The Big Country

High Plains Drifter

Honorable mention:  Quigley Down Under, Silverado, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, and Pale Rider (though a remake of Shane).

steveziv

Not a huge fan of the genre, which might explain my pick; The Quick and the Dead.

oldbird

Not sure it qualifies Mcabe and Mrs Miller

Bill Calton

If I were picking number 1, The Big Country would have to be a contender.  It has a grand sound track, great actors, the best western fist fight ever filmed.  The stage coach sequence in the opening is a great piece of film work.  And a fish jumping right on cue.

apachecadillac

I think if The Unforgiven qualifies (and surely it does), McCabe and Mrs Miller ought to, as well.  Now, I'm not sure so about Blazing Saddles . . .

There is an awful lot of good stuff to pick from, and a lot depends on how old you are.  Personally, I like Clint Eastwood a lot more than John Wayne (and remember my Mom and Dad coming home from seeing the first True Grit and my Dad dismisses it as' 'just another John Wayne movie'), so that skews me away from some of the obvious favorites, and towards others.  And, as I am typing this I'm trying to remember the name of the movie that featured the biggest and most expensive demolition scene ever filmed (blowing up an enormous balsa wood bridge, full scale, with a bunch of banditos or Mexican troops or something on it).  Anybody remember?

2shot

Not sure if they've been mentioned yet but "El Dorado" and "Shane" are two of my favorites. 

max2

How about  ~ The Long  Riders

Steve Hunts

Often forgotten-

sneem

I don't know how it gets any better than, "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon".

Ben Hong
7 hours ago, oldbird said:

Not sure it qualifies Mcabe and Mrs Miller

Warren Beatty and Julie Christie, directed by the great Robert Altman. "Sisters of Mercy" by Leonard Cohen in the soundtrack. It QUALIFIES in any list. Absolutely!!!

ccavacini

Always enjoyed Dean Martin in Texas across the River

Bill Calton

My favorite of the John Ford/John Wayne  cavalry trilogy is Rio Grande.  She Wore A Yellow Ribbon is good. Ft Apache not so much.