REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Chukarman

Top Ten all-time Westerns?

paul frey

Outlaw Josie Wales is my favorite.  After they shoot up one of the guys and the kid asks Clint if they should bury him.  Clints response is. "Buzzard's gotta eat, same as a worm".  Best line ever. Sam Elliot is a favorite of mine in "Conagher" .  Really liked Lonesome Dove.  Unforgiven, Open Range

Chesepeakes_Man

Lonesome Dove

The Sacketts

Open Range

The Stalking Moon

Tom Horn

Will Penny

The Searchers

Conagher

The Shadow Riders

Jeremiah Johnson 

Kansas Big Dog

A couple other John Wayne movies, Hondo, which was filmed in 3D. And Red River. River of No Return, Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe.  Naked Spur, Jimmy Steward, Cowboy, with Glenn Ford and Jack Lemmon. 

Out Law Josey Wales is loosely based on General Order No. 11. 

General Order No. 11 is the title of a Union Army directive issued during the American Civil War on August 25, 1863, forcing the evacuation of rural areas in four counties in westernMissouri. The order, issued by Union General Thomas Ewing, Jr., affected all rural residents regardless of their allegiance. Those who could prove their loyalty to the Union were permitted to stay in the affected area, but had to leave their farms and move to communities near military outposts (see villagization). Those who could not do so had to vacate the area altogether.

While intended to deprive pro-Confederate guerrillas of material support from the rural countryside, the severity of the Order's provisions and the nature of its enforcement alienated vast numbers of civilians, and ultimately led to conditions in which guerrillas were given greater support and access to supplies than before. It was repealed in January 1864, as a new general took command of Union forces in the region.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Order_No._11_(1863)

My great, great, great grandfather was considered a pro-confederate guerrilla and lived in West Central Missouri. When the Union army burned all the farms in the area, he joined the gurrillas. When the Union army  finally ran the guerrillas out of southern Missouri, he joined the Arkansas Confederate Army.

sneem

Open Range should get a vote too. They say the gunfight at the end is the longest gunfight filmed in any western. My wife, being of full blooded Irish heritage, always complains that the evil doer is so Irish.

Continuing the family history line, my father grew up in the hills of western Virginia during the '30's. His grandfather fought in the Confederacy during the war. When my father took my mother down to meet the family, she was a nice girl from Boston who was a little shocked to find her husband had grown up in a shack in the mountains without plumbing or electricity. But at night there was not much to do but sit on the porch and talk to his grandmother. My mother told me later my great grandmother would talk for hours about what it was like during the Civil War. She told about the tales of the fighting her husband told after returning after the war and what it was like during the war itself. Oh to have a tape recorder for those conversations.

Jim McCann

Lonesome Dove. Hands-down! I can't believe Gus is dead. 

Conagher is my next fave. Of course, Sam Elliot and I had the same hat made for us by the same hat maker, Tom Hirt. But I like the movie a lot. 

ruff hunter

I guess I’m a fan of a more gritty realistic western..... more in the way of the revenant ( although I know the cold and water mean death ) , the unforgiven, and true grit ( the new one )....... people were nasty back then and didn’t look like people in the John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart movies.... l do want to see hostiles!!

gaberdeen

Pale Rider

Outlaw Josey Wales

Sons of Katie Elder

True Grit

Zoli 16ga.

Blazing Saddles!!!

Virgil Kane

OK not a movie but I watch "The Rifleman" every Saturday morning.  Kind of corny but gotta love a guy that was 6'6".  Chuck Connors (really Kevin) not only made it in Hollywood but played professional basketball  for the Boston Celtics and played professional baseball for the Chicago Cubs.  Also the first basketball player recorded for shattering a basketball backstop (although it was from a badly installed backstop).  

Otherwise I'm sticking with Blazing Saddles

Virgil

Chukarman
On 2/2/2018 at 11:45 AM, sneem said:

Open Range should get a vote too. They say the gunfight at the end is the longest gunfight filmed in any western. My wife, being of full blooded Irish heritage, always complains that the evil doer is so Irish.

Continuing the family history line, my father grew up in the hills of western Virginia during the '30's. His grandfather fought in the Confederacy during the war. When my father took my mother down to meet the family, she was a nice girl from Boston who was a little shocked to find her husband had grown up in a shack in the mountains without plumbing or electricity. But at night there was not much to do but sit on the porch and talk to his grandmother. My mother told me later my great grandmother would talk for hours about what it was like during the Civil War. She told about the tales of the fighting her husband told after returning after the war and what it was like during the war itself. Oh to have a tape recorder for those conversations.

The history of this country could be told in these deep family histories.  And some of the histories of many other countries, too.

Zoli 16ga.

Probably not an all time...but Cat Ballou...with Jane Fonda,  is worth a look at.

kgb

Fastest Gun  Alive and Once Upon a Time in the West probably top my list.

Spin
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Scar said:

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy.... the book not the movie.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, Ben Hong said:

TV Movie, "The Sacketts" with Selleck, Sam Elliot, Glenn Ford and Jeff Osterhage. Not a great movie artistically speaking but somehow it has wormed itself into my consciousness so much that I will watch it whenever I see it anywhere!

I would not say the same for John Wayne's movies.

Did anyone mention "A Man Called Horse? or Jeremiah Johnson?"

The Books written by Louis L'amour where like James A Michener's, both highly entertaining and educational.

Spin
6 hours ago, Chukarman said:

The history of this country could be told in these deep family histories.  And some of the histories of many other countries, too.

6 hours ago, Chukarman said:

" My wife, being of full blooded Irish heritage, always complains that the evil doer is so Irish."

I wonder if she had a thorough and  deep history DNA/genetic test done this belief would prove out"  Ireland had

Native inhabitants Before the Celts arrived and several different peoples that invaded and mixed genes with "Irish" inhabitants afterwards

for quite some time.

Chukarman
50 minutes ago, Spin said:

" My wife, being of full blooded Irish heritage, always complains that the evil doer is so Irish."

I wonder if she had a thorough and  deep history DNA/genetic test done this belief would prove out"  Ireland had

Native inhabitants Before the Celts arrived and several different peoples that invaded and mixed genes with "Irish" inhabitants afterwards

for quite some time.

My paternal grandmother was born in Cork, Ireland. She immigrated at age 16 to Canada -- my great grandfather was an civil engineer with the British army. I loved to listen to her tell the stories of her youth.