Social Media?

Facebook to keep up with the activities of family and friends across the country as well as conservation and dog groups. On Facebook I have friends and family...people I love and care about....so I avoid political discussions as right and left and all points between are represented in my family.

I have a Twitter account for political expression. On Twitter I have followers rather than friends...I tell folks to follow at their own risk.

Finally, I have a Pinterest account to keep track of neat ideas for things that I may want to build or try.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• Lars

• Don Steese

• Tony Moore

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone who owns, admins and moderates a "traditional" Discussion Forum I cringe whenever Facebook is mentioned here....   Traditional Discussion Forums or "Bulletin Boards" like UJ were

Hey, great idea.  I did the same thing, only on UJ.  I'm actually Chuck Norris (so don't anybody piss me off).

To further elaborate on my opinion of social media, I would hate to be growing up in today’s environment.  I was heavy as a teen, not until after college did I lose 75 pounds and start participating i

Posted Images

I use social media to sell my music, it is about the only way to get any attention to an art today. I'm to damn old to tour but not to old to punch a keyboard. It works so I'm good with it as long as it doesn't take time away from me checking out UJ! 

fb Billy Jeter music

inst billyjetermusic 

twitter Billy Jeter Music

There you go. now I have no secrets.

There's a great Birddogs and Flyfishing group on FB, I went cold on it but have slowly started warming back up to it since their recent changes where I actually see my friends/families posts again rather than ads.

Instagram is where it's at if you like photography.

My wife has a facebook account.  The worthless crap that's on there raises my barf factor off the charts!!

1 hour ago, charlo slim said:

Hey, great idea.  I did the same thing, only on UJ.  I'm actually Chuck Norris (so don't anybody piss me off).

Nope , dogrunner already is !

13 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Nope , dogrunner already is !

*&$#@in IMPOSTER!!  Fakie Chuckie Norris right there.

I admit to spending some of the day on facebook, nothing else except this decrepit old vehicle, the UJ. I love youtube to replay old sporting events, old forgotten movies, great music, instructional stuff etc. I have an up-to-date smart phone but other than  my wife, nobody calls me or I them. I never text, I never use the internet on it, nor any of its capabilities except for the telephone feature...and the clock. I don't wear a watch any more. Do I qualify as a luddite?

IsThisHeaven?

I participate here and a few other hunting forums. I have tried Twitter and Facebook but have deactivated both accounts. There can be some interesting content on both but there is so much crap you have to wade through to get there it’s just not worth the time it takes. 

As someone who owns, admins and moderates a "traditional" Discussion Forum I cringe whenever Facebook is mentioned here....

Traditional Discussion Forums or "Bulletin Boards" like UJ were the original social media.

Back in 2002 when UJ was launched, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc., didn't even exist. When Facebook and their Facebook Groups took hold it sounded the death nell for many traditional Discussion Forums, or has rendered them lifeless. People only have so much time to sit in front of a smart phone screen, tablet or computer, and pontificate.

Private owners of traditional Boards with forum software can't compete with Facebook, the "Wal Mart of social media"; 25,000+ employees, stables of coders, warehouses of servers etc,. And free posting of copious photos and videos, etc. 

I have an FB page, and there is a very inactive 'by design' UJ Facebook Group, that I only use to remind Members that the UJ Board is still cranking and to post an alert if this Board is down. Frankly, I spent many years with good friendships here, only to find those same friends spewing their Political bile on Facebook and constantly clogging my newsfeed until I unfollowed them. Also just like Pheasant Load Topics get old here, having to endure the oversharing of personal things, like how much someone loves their wife over and over gets into the 'puke in your mouth a little' territory. 

Many millenials like my daughters left Facebook because all us old fart parents had moved in. They hang out at Instagram and Snapchat, and when we go there, they will go somewhere else most likely.

Luckily, so far UJ remains valid and as active as I can handle, probably given its a niche Board, and generally void of the constant Politics, and general idiocy, fake news, gleaning of personal info for marketing, and other crap that's prevelant on Facebook. Also this new software is state of art and Topics can be shared on many social media sites. I could market UJ on Facebook, and boost my Membership count, but don't.

There is something to be said about keeping an online community intimate and manageable,and relatively free of the glut of constantly flashing ads and marketing. Many Members are able to move seamlessly between the two, but some fall under the siren song of Facebook and disappear from the UJ ranks. As some likely will after reading the Posts on this Topic. Such is the world and competitive nature of social media.

Facebook has allowed me to reconnect with family ,former students, and college friends.   If I don't like what they post, I can unfollow them.  It's easy.

I want to be on Facebook but it just hasn't worked out for me.  Despite my very best efforts using photoshop and the latest Chinese photo manipulation apps, I’ve yet to come up with a profile picture that portrays me as handsome, intelligent, and interesting.  I just can't compete. 

Edit: remainder of OP deleted because I realized I posted something unflattering about an ex in-law that I wouldn't say to their face. Social media, even UJ, makes that to easy. 

Don’t really get face book. I kind of think of it as we waitedfor years to get rid of party line phones now everyone wants a party line computer. For some reason I view Facebook etc a bit different than forums such as the UJ. Maybe I’m prejudiced.

I was on FB quite a bit.  Had it on my phone too...  I had reconnected with a lot of old friends and it was great to learn about their lives once again. 

However, I stopped using it about six months ago as I found it was upsetting me.  These people that I once loved and held dear to me were insulting me and hurting me with their comments.  Not directly but indirectly.  So I started to remove them and blocked all the stupid political sites, left and right.  Now I go on once a week, Sunday mornings and catch up on family for about ten minutes and then log out. 

Two things my dad always said: you don't talk politics, money or religion in public and he told me to "stay in my lane."  FB forces you to ignore the former and takes you out of your lane.  So, having deleted all the BS I can once again look at FB for a bit and stay in my lane. 

I do use instagram to say in touch with the kids because that's what they do...