• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• Lars

• Don Steese

• Tony Moore

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone who owns, admins and moderates a "traditional" Discussion Forum I cringe whenever Facebook is mentioned here....   Traditional Discussion Forums or "Bulletin Boards" like UJ were

Hey, great idea.  I did the same thing, only on UJ.  I'm actually Chuck Norris (so don't anybody piss me off).

To further elaborate on my opinion of social media, I would hate to be growing up in today’s environment.  I was heavy as a teen, not until after college did I lose 75 pounds and start participating i

Posted Images

9 hours ago, charlo slim said:

Hey, great idea.  I did the same thing, only on UJ.  I'm actually Chuck Norris (so don't anybody piss me off).

My real name is Sven. 

2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Many Members are able to move seamlessly between the two, but some fall under the siren song of Facebook and disappear from the UJ ranks. As some likely will after reading the Posts on this Topic. Such is the world and competitive nature of social media.

There, there, Brad....we're sticking with you. 

After being shown some posts on Facebook, like the ones from my nephew's widow that I unflatteringly mentioned in my tongue-in-cheek post to this thread, I want nothing to do with it. I'm sure it has its virtues, but from what I've seen of FB in a small town, it's a format to say things about people that you'd be ashamed to say to their face, and it's to a far larger audience. 

Facebook is message board Kryptonite......whch can be a good thing as, of course, can be Facebook.

Particulars and needs met, matter.

To further elaborate on my opinion of social media, I would hate to be growing up in today’s environment.  I was heavy as a teen, not until after college did I lose 75 pounds and start participating in endurance sports.  And I’ve never been accused of being an overly handsome man.  From personal experience I know there have always been uncaring, hurtful teens, but their megaphone only reached as far as their voice carried. With snapchat, Instagram, twitter…etc. it now carries to an entire community.  I get firsthand exposure to this through my two children.  I have a teen son who has a learning disability, but is wiry and handsome enough to get lots of attention from girls.  I have a daughter who is very smart, also a real beauty in my and many others eye, but she will never be a size 2.  I’ve taught her to not respond, or if she does, with dignity and grace, to vicious comments about her size from other girls on social media.  But it hurts when she comes into our room in the night, crying, asking her mom to come sleep in her bed so they can talk about the latest attack.  We even have parents contacting us to apologize for things their daughters post. The world would be better off without social media, IMO.

Edit: I will add that my daughter was voted homecoming queen from among a court of skinny girls. That REALLY set off a firestorm on social media.

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, charlo slim said:

Nope I’m Chuck Norris. ;)

I've never used it .. I just don't trust it. Perhaps I'm a dinosaur, but I can live with that... Don't have a cell phone either, and really don't feel the need for it.

8 hours ago, charlo slim said:

*&$#@in IMPOSTER!!  Fakie Chuckie Norris right there.

Not an Imposter trained in the arts for 30 years. All that contact is a younger mans sport. 

My wife has it and she only signed up because she is a real estate agent and some clients wouldn't use her when they found out she wasn't trying to sell their house on FB.  That's close enough for me.

If I haven't spoken to you in 20 years, there's probably a reason.  I don't need my business out there, and I don't care about anyone else's.  In fact I Google myself every once in awhile to make sure no one can find me :ph34r: 

It is tough with teens trying to explain that the things they post on FB, Instagram, Snapchat etc are out there for the world.   

I was reluctantly dragged into FB when our NAVHDA chapter made the switch as their primary means of communication. From there I dove into breed and hunting groups and have met a lot of great people and forged some friendships that would never have happened otherwise. I think it works for me because I have a pretty high boiling point but maintain firm lines.

What I enjoy most about social media is when you recognize a familiar "voice" in hunting and dog groups and realize "Hey, it's a UJ'er"! Value added.

1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Not an Imposter trained in the arts for 30 years. All that contact is a younger mans sport. 

Cool.  Just kidding, Chuck.:o

14 hours ago, OH Grouser said:

UJ is the extent of my active social media participation.

Same here. Been off Facebook for about 2 years now, and my life is better because of it. I will post on Instagram occasionally, though.

Here are my thoughts on "social" media. 1. It's anything but social 2. People say things they'd never dream of saying face-to-face. Anti political correctness has become an excuse for plain old bad manners. 3. The only political discussions are of the " I'm right and you're mentally ill for not agreeing with me" variety. 4. I've been to a Wal Mart often enough that I have found out, up close and personal, what the other shoppers look like. 5. I wouldn't use twitter because anyone who'd be interested in what I think from minute to minute on any topic isn't anyone I'd care to associate with. My opinions ain't that enlightening! 5. I have no idea what instagram or linkdin are and I don't think I'll perish any sooner if I never find out.

That being said my ten year old granddaughter put an app ( another word that has no meaning to me) on my phone that allows me to see her and she to see me when we talk. Neat little feature but I could live without it.