Jump to content

Social Media?


Recommended Posts

I visit only a few social media sites. FB is one of them. It is what you make it.

 

There is a new private NH Upland Hunting page. Because over 300 guys with like interests are members a meeting has been set up looking to establish a NH chapter of the Ruffed Grouse and American Woodcock Society.

 

How can that be a bad thing?

 

You are what you read and respond to.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • topdog1961

    5

  • Lars

    4

  • Don Steese

    3

  • Tony Moore

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone who owns, admins and moderates a "traditional" Discussion Forum I cringe whenever Facebook is mentioned here....   Traditional Discussion Forums or "Bulletin Boards" like UJ were

Hey, great idea.  I did the same thing, only on UJ.  I'm actually Chuck Norris (so don't anybody piss me off).

To further elaborate on my opinion of social media, I would hate to be growing up in today’s environment.  I was heavy as a teen, not until after college did I lose 75 pounds and start participating i

Posted Images

Got into following facebook when both my kids who were out state at school sometimes posted things. Kind of a long distance way of staying up on some of what they were doing, and what friends they hung around. Since they have gotten older, one uses once in a while, the other not at all. So it has lost a lot of its usefulness to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

To further elaborate on my opinion of social media, I would hate to be growing up in today’s environment.  I was heavy as a teen, not until after college did I lose 75 pounds and start participating in endurance sports.  And I’ve never been accused of being an overly handsome man.  From personal experience I know there have always been uncaring, hurtful teens, but their megaphone only reached as far as their voice carried. With snapchat, Instagram, twitter…etc. it now carries to an entire community.  I get firsthand exposure to this through my two children.  I have a teen son who has a learning disability, but is wiry and handsome enough to get lots of attention from girls.  I have a daughter who is very smart, also a real beauty in my and many others eye, but she will never be a size 2.  I’ve taught her to not respond, or if she does, with dignity and grace, to vicious comments about her size from other girls on social media.  But it hurts when she comes into our room in the night, crying, asking her mom to come sleep in her bed so they can talk about the latest attack.  We even have parents contacting us to apologize for things their daughters post. The world would be better off without social media, IMO.

 

Edit: I will add that my daughter was voted homecoming queen from among a court of skinny girls. That REALLY set off a firestorm on social media.

image.jpeg

You have a beautiful daughter.   I really hate the teenage daughter years.  Mine is 14 and barely acknowledges my existence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy, really surprised at the negative comments. Like Mr. Moore pointed out, it's what you make of it. Easy to get rid of the bad apples and crap. 

 

I use it quite successfully for my kennel business and writing obsession. I also follow several upland hunting and gun dog pages. Will always follow UJ. 

 

Yesterday I learned from FaceBook that female woodcock are already laying eggs down south and will soon be raising their first brood before heading to their northern breeding grounds and raising their second brood. Yes, Virginia, it happens!!!

 

Ken

 

PS - Pics from North Carolina two days ago.

2018wc.JPG

2018wc2.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken,

I responded to your question yesterday regarding the WC season. I use Facebook sparingly. I mostly use it in private groups so there isn't as much riff-raff stirring the pot. One of my main uses is the MN WC Banding group has it's own private group. It's pretty convenient for us to share information relative to what we are finding in the covers for nesting conditions, estimates on when the hatch will happen, etc. It seems to vary a little year by  year so it's nice to share our thoughts in a private way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ken best put my feeling on it. I started it to stay in touch with my four sons and then accedently reconnected with some of my old collage and high school team mates and friends. I do some pruning from time to time but I enjoy a couple of local bird hunting groups as well. I will say I spend more time here and find more reliable imformation on upland subjects.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

Ken,

I responded to your question yesterday regarding the WC season. I use Facebook sparingly. I mostly use it in private groups so there isn't as much riff-raff stirring the pot. One of my main uses is the MN WC Banding group has it's own private group. It's pretty convenient for us to share information relative to what we are finding in the covers for nesting conditions, estimates on when the hatch will happen, etc. It seems to vary a little year by  year so it's nice to share our thoughts in a private way.

Thanks Ruff  for the tip. We're re-organizing a wc banding group in WI this spring and a private Facebook group would be a great way to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wisconsin said:

Thanks Ruff  for the tip. We're re-organizing a wc banding group in WI this spring and a private Facebook group would be a great way to go.

 

NP. It's a pretty good way to do things especially if people are already using it. As we get new people approved as banders we add them to the group.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sage Hen said:

I think Ken best put my feeling on it. I started it to stay in touch with my four sons and then accedently reconnected with some of my old collage and high school team mates and friends. I do some pruning from time to time but I enjoy a couple of local bird hunting groups as well. I will say I spend more time here and find more reliable imformation on upland subjects.

Exactly Sage. UJ will always be my "go to" group when it comes to the best in upland bird hunting subjects and information. Think about it. Between Hong, Steese and Eden alone, we're talking about somewhere around a combined 300 years of experience behind bird dogs!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wisconsin said:

.... 

 

Yesterday I learned from FaceBook that female woodcock are already laying eggs down south and will soon be raising their first brood before heading to their northern breeding grounds and raising their second brood. Yes, Virginia, it happens!!!

 

 

45 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

Ken,

I responded to your question yesterday regarding the WC season. I use Facebook sparingly...

 

My point made... That question and answer, although by UJ Members was in a Facebook Group not on the UJ Board. That's fine, I don't own the internet, and I'm honestly not trying to make anyone feel guilty, but this is a good example of what I'm talking about. Facebook Groups in particular suck the life out of traditional Boards, they just do. It's a bit insideous so isn't easily noted unless you run a Board like this. I fully understand the appeal of Facebook and the Facebook Groups, and acknowledge that a Board like UJ can't provide everything, and don't begrudge anyone for utilizing and enjoying them. But the reality for Traditional Discussion Forums is that often times Members start spending less and less time here and more and more time there.

 

Again, fortunately UJ is weathering the social media storm for the most part, but it's future was and is somewhat uncertain, largely due to social media like Facebook. In response I almost threw in the towel just before deciding to Convert to this new Board Software over a year ago. I am glad I did though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
IsThisHeaven?
1 hour ago, Wisconsin said:

Boy, really surprised at the negative comments. Like Mr. Moore pointed out, it's what you make of it. Easy to get rid of the bad apples and crap. 

 

I use it quite successfully for my kennel business and writing obsession. I also follow several upland hunting and gun dog pages. Will always follow UJ. 

 

Yesterday I learned from FaceBook that female woodcock are already laying eggs down south and will soon be raising their first brood before heading to their northern breeding grounds and raising their second brood. Yes, Virginia, it happens!!!

 

Ken

 

PS - Pics from North Carolina two days ago.

2018wc.JPG

2018wc2.JPG

 

 

Part of the reason I don’t care for most social media, and Facebook spefically, is how I see it impact others around me. I am 36 years old. Many of my friends, and their wives, are around my age. Facebook has been detrimental to a fair number of people I know. For me it’s not as simple as you make what you want or choose or whatever. 

 

Sure Facebook/social media is not the only problem, but it is a primary part of the problem and it certainly is not helping. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I killed my Facebook account 2 1/2 yrs ago and believe it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I do still follow a couple of public field trial facebook pages though. UJ is it for me as far as social media goes. Overall I believe FB has been a disaster for humanity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Joined facebook to see baby pictures, etc. from my extended family and old childhood friends.  I don't post much but enjoy reading it once a week or so.  I just "unfriend" annoying family members.  Keeps it from becoming tedious.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
stripersonfly
1 hour ago, Kansas Bound said:

Facebook I can not stand.  I do like Instagram though.  

Gotta say these are my feelings exactly.  Facebook at first was great to reconnect with old friends, share pictures and stuff.  Now at least half of the posts seem to be political.

 

Instagram, limited to mostly photos and comments about photos is of more interest to me now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...