REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
67diesel

Nissan diesel

Larry Brown

I had two Nissan diesels back in the early 80's, when all their pickups were small.  Those trucks didn't have an excess of "guts", but they were honest 30+ mpg, which was nice--and they could run away from one of the little VW pickups of that era--the ones that looked like a Rabbit with the back end cut off--which is not saying very much.  The story was that GM more or less messed up the small diesel engine market back then by putting diesel heads on gasoline engines.  Anyhow, long about the mid-80's, Nissan stopped offering those pickups with small, economical diesel engines.  Since I'm a small truck fan, I'd love to see them come back.  I like my current Ford Ranger, but its V-6 gets 18 mpg over the road on a good day.  I'd be all in for a small, reliable diesel.  I don't tow anything, and I think it would work for my purposes.  I'm sure putting my 60 pound canoe on top of an aluminum topper wouldn't overburden it.

Dave Medema

I was just fishing in Argentina and was intrigued at the seeming endless quantities of small 4 door diesel pickups.  Our host ran over a dozen of various flavors (Ford, Nissan, Chevy, VW, and Toyota).  Each day I'd ask our driver which one he preferred and 100% said the Toyota HiLux was the best.  Why we can't have them is beyond me.  

topdog1961
14 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

The story was that GM more or less messed up the small diesel engine market back then by putting diesel heads on gasoline engines. 

The small engines weren't the worst debacle. GM put diesel heads on their 350 and sold them in Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs. I had a professor in college that used to boast of the nearly new Cadillac diesel he bought off a disgruntled owner for $500, then paid a shade tree mechanic a few hundred more to drop a V-8 gas engine in it. He loved it. 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/automobiles/collectibles/18RUST.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Bert in W N.C.

I am with you Dave, I saw my first small diesel four door Yota in the late 80's. To this day I would love to have one. Oh well, I will just keep driving my 14 year old Nissan Frontier. 

Brad Eden

Wow, that had to be the worse review of any full size or small PU I've ever read. We have had an older Nissan Pathfinder and my wife now has a Nissan Rogue. She previously has had a Honda CRV and a Toyota Rav4. She loves this Rogue best of all. I can't understand why Nissan can't get its poop together on trucks. 

Larry Brown

The Nissan pickups I had back in the 80's--both diesel and gasoline engine--were a definite improvement over the Ford Courier, which was my first small pickup.

rawhide

It was not mine, but I had some experience with a  (gasoline) 3/4 ton Datsun (before the name change) pickup   about 1980. That was one extremely tough, rough riding little truck.

mhadley

I got one the end of 2016 when the incentives were strong and dealers wanted to move inventory. I paid less than I what I was finding domestic 1/2 tons for. I have a little over 17k on it and it’s been great so far hopefully it’ll stay that way. I’ll keep it till the warranty runs out then move it along or delete it and drive the wheels off of it.