REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jack L

New Hunting rig

Jack L

Even before the roosters revenge spun my Trailblazer off the road this fall I have been looking for a new rig.  like SUV's.  It will perform triple duty as my  bird, work and family vehicle.  4 wheel drive is a must as I do not want to be stuck in the sticks in below zero weather.  It must have enough cargo room for dogs, guns, camping gear maybe decoys depending on the season.

I settled on a Toyota 4 Runner.  Most SUV's are AWD now and are more car than truck.  There are the Tahoe/Suburban type vehicles but they're a lot of cash, even used.  Locally $34,000 with nearly 100,000 miles. No thanks.

So I bought a new Toyota 4 Runner SR5.  Only a few thousand more new than used. Clancy , the new pup and I will be hunting in style this year.

E4926EF9-3647-481F-A381-0FC5564A71AC.jpeg

TB Owl

That is one nice rig!  Enjoy! Love those 4-Runners!

Greg Hartman

Those are very. very nice - congrats!  I'm certain Clancy will enjoy his new ride. Chase and Joy are envious.  :)

If I had such a nice vehicle, I'd be concerned about taking into the sorts of places I take my old POS Jeep.  How do you guys with new 4x4's deal with that - just say the hell with it and not worry about it?

WMassGriff

Nice wheels! Eventually my Xterra will need replacing and I am going to look at those 4-runners as I have ridden in them with multiple dogs in crates and they are sweet. Plus Nissan doesn't make the X anymore and they burned me with the tranny on mine!

henryrski
On 2/26/2018 at 5:59 AM, Greg Hartman said:

If I had such a nice vehicle, I'd be concerned about taking into the sorts of places I take my old POS Jeep.  How do you guys with new 4x4's deal with that - just say the hell with it and not worry about it?

The first scratch is the worst after that who cares?

rideold

My solution is to buy after someone else has scratched it up so I don't have the pain of pin striping myself!

terrym

Hard to find a better rig than a 4 runner.  You'll likely get sick of looking at it before you wear it out. 

Sage Hen

As long as Clancy likes it I think you did well.

scottspec2

That's a good ride, one of the last true SUV's still being made.

Everyone should have a Birdvan though in my opinion...

WI Outdoor Nut

Nice vehicle - and like the color.  All my vehicles would be silver if I could make it happen. 

martyg

I have a 4Runner that is closing in on 20 years old and somewhere between 250K and 300K. I pulled the rear seats out for more cargo space. It is my gunk-holing rig when I went to poke around the dark recesses in CO and NM. It has been a workhorse. I can't say enough god things about them from a utility standpoint. Not great in the snow, but I have other vehicles for that.

polecat

nice rig.

gordy
On 26/02/2018 at 7:29 AM, Greg Hartman said:

Those are very. very nice - congrats!  I'm certain Clancy will enjoy his new ride. Chase and Joy are envious.  :)

I just dont worry about it. Its like hunting in bad weather with loved guns. Life can be rugged outdoors.

Reliable is what counts to me

jeff88

4-runners are tough to beat when you want a mid-size suv with real 4wd capability.  If I lived in a northern clime and wanted to get in and out of tough terrain during the winter months, your 4-runner is at the top of that class.  For a truck frame based suv, they are also very nice rides on the highway.  4-runners bridge the gap between on and off road.

To prevent branches scratching the panels of the truck as you go down logging roads or similar, try a nice coat of wax before the season.  Our Fords were well-coated before hunting season and branch scratching's did not get to the paint layer.  After the season was over, just re-wax the truck and you may be surprised by how nice it turns out.  As for dents, not much can be done.  Anyway, shouldn't trucks and guns look like they have been used at least a little?  B|

jeff88
On 3/2/2018 at 6:46 PM, terrym said:

Hard to find a better rig than a 4 runner.  You'll likely get sick of looking at it before you wear it out. 

My PA hunting buddy bought one the 2nd year they were out - it went over 25 years.  He stopped trying to get it inspected and used it for a few years as a camp truck until it stopped all together.